Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

I am up a well known pointy tower in London until about 3pm today - then I have my van parked at Woking from where I can chase for a couple of hours.

Then it’s all eyes to the south east overnight for some patchy chances of electrical showers from the continent.

Not bad chances for the first day of a potentially exciting week of weather!

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Michellelovescats said:

was that the one a month ago sat night 21st april? that one started at 7pm here (south coast near iow) and went on til nearly 2am came from france (we had some short spells without storms but most of that time there was at least distant lightning)

Thats the one friend. It literally got inside the M25, just outside audible/visual range then all activity just stopped dead.

Edited by Windblade

18 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Thats the one friend. It literally got inside the M25, just outside audible/visual range then all activity just stopped dead.

Yep didn't do anything east of East Sussex either, only rain for us.

• Like 1

Have to say the radar doesn't look promising, a lot of messy, undefined returns piling into the south east, cloud cover could easily ruin the day genuinely as well as convectively speaking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Have to say the radar doesn't look promising, a lot of messy, undefined returns piling into the south east, cloud cover could easily ruin the day genuinely as well as convectively speaking.

The SR model shows this (not perfectly) but there or thereabouts. Showers start to crop up ahead of that, and turn very heavy across Hampshire and Dorset around 4/5pm.

I know this is for UK based convection but looking at the charts and some serious eye-candy charts over the continent pretty much every day. IF some of that energy particulairy later on could make it over here to the UK.....................

3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The SR model shows this (not perfectly) but there or thereabouts. Showers start to crop up ahead of that, and turn very heavy across Hampshire and Dorset around 4/5pm.

Agreed, not often we need to look to the east, north east! I don't think I have a suitable storm watching spot on that side of the house!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Agreed, not often we need to look to the east, north east! I don't think I have a suitable storm watching spot on that side of the house!!

I'm busy in the garden today - needing to do some fibreglassing. It's a 'do I' or 'don't I' situation though, as it needs to be done quickly, but I don't want any rain to effect it. My cam is pointing to the East, so I can quickly check on it from time to time. :D

A few small Cumulus clouds popping up.

Edited by Mapantz

23 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm busy in the garden today - needing to do some fibreglassing. It's a 'do I' or 'don't I' situation though, as it needs to be done quickly, but I don't want any rain to effect it. My cam is pointing to the East, so I can quickly check on it from time to time. :D

A few small Cumulus clouds popping up.

My office at JPM faces NE, I can see some Cu starting to pop up.

Got 360° view atm but the glass on these windows is quite dirty (London air) so visibility isn’t great.

what I can see is high level murky cloud so from a convective viewpoint I don’t think London will do perticularly well out of this today

Clouds bubbling up here readily at the moment and shown well by sat24 which indicates rapid development from the Southern Pennines down to the Midlands, presumably along a convergence zone?

Much sharper, crisper convection now occurring over the East Dorset / West Hants border, wouldn't bet against some radar echoes becoming evident in the next 30minutes.

My view to the NE;

Screenshot_2018-05-21-13-23-13.thumb.png.57877654804a91f97fbc705466a3d8cb.png

• Like 2

Has been cloudy and not massively warm all day. Can't see us getting much out of this.

Developments;

Screenshot_2018-05-21-13-52-16.thumb.png.1c22e6d36a918e3579c1f79c4939b742.png

• Like 1

Can't say I've ad any of that rain and I'm directly below where it's meant to be.

• Like 1

Just now, Lauren said:

Can't say I've ad any of that rain and I'm directly below where it's meant to be.

Could be that high level stuff that evaporates on the way down?

Virga I think.

(dunno if that shows up on radar, and not sure the conditions are right to support it)

2 hours ago, Alderc said:

i do right towards dover castle, but no sea view towards france anymore.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Lauren said:

same it hasnt rained here either, just a dry cloudy mist earlier.

Edited by alexisj9

Final climb done for the day near Winchester, CU bubbling up all around.

IMAG4507.jpg

• Like 1

Spitting with rain here. 

It is wet. 

Big towers going up next to my tower near Winchester now 

IMAG4516.jpg

• Like 1

1st heavy shower here in northern Hampshire. Big heavy drops but no rumblings....yet.

lots of convection can be seen from the island ( isle of wight )