Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Quote

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Message added by Paul

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, cheese said:

 

Mine is today! Fortunately, the weather was pretty nice - warm and dry with a bit of sunshine (although rather cloudy after noon). 

Tomorrow should be okay but the rest of the week is undeniably looking like a steaming pile of poop. The Met Office say a high of 15C on Friday which by anyone's definiton is cold for the time of year, and with a gusty NW wind and showers it won't feel warm at all whether the sun comes out or not. Totally useless and unacceptable weather for late August.

January 2019 will be freezing cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

Been a bit quite in here today think summer is dying a slow death !! Time  for autumn early autumn heat- this is surely the most agreeable type of heat, warm enough still for the hot brigade - and not too hot for all the oh my god my flat is too hot and never cools down contingent on the other !! 👏🏻

Yeah, that’s the one good thing about September hot spells, even when it’s into the high 20s, the evenings still feel much cooler. 

But, more often than not a week or two in the low to mid 20s with clear blue skies will be pleasant and surely make up, for what has been a poor August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

that depends on your location.

2013 was a 3 week wonder and even that was broken.. one weekend in july we saw no sun, just north sea stratus.

for me, 2018 was the best summer of the 00's , 2013 was the poorest (of hot summers) with 2006 in second, 2003 in third.

Best summer of the 10s. I like to class the 00s as a difference decade. Best summer of the 00s was 2003.

I still think 2013 is slightly better than 2018, but if I count may with June and July of this year, then 2018 wins out for sunshine totals.

2013 was hot and sunny, but it was still rather chilly until early June. July and August were decent though, and August 13 was the best August for some years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely fresh start to the day,single figures(just),bank holiday looking good as well,happy chap this morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 38.5*C said:

Where has summer 2018 gone? Whos flushed it down the pan cos im surprised its being compared with 1976 and 1995 still.   There have been loads of features missing this summer such as strong Southernly plumes. Why Is it we can we get a southernly in crap summers like 2007 and 2012 yet could'nt gain a single gush of S'ly air in 2018???

4

It'll return in September once the kids are back in school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well today looks crap now - the Met Office forecast says 17C as the high today with rain later, no sunshine until 7pm. Nothing pleasant about that. Tomorrow is looking like the worst day of all though, 15C max with frequent heavy showers and gusty west winds - what use is that! 

Edited by cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

Well today looks crap now - the Met Office forecast says 17C as the high today with rain later, no sunshine until 7pm. Nothing pleasant about that. Tomorrow is looking like the worst day of all though, 15C max with frequent heavy showers and gusty west winds - what use is that! 

As a weather enthusiast I'll gladly take the heavy showers. Love me a bit of convective weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

As a weather enthusiast I'll gladly take the heavy showers. Love me a bit of convective weather.

We had a thunderstorm at the end of July which caused the temperature to go from 18C to 12C at 3pm, I got caught briefly in it and the rain was so cold and heavy that it literally took your breath away. I don't mind showers if it's warm or very warm but otherwise it's just an unpleasant nuisance imo. 

I can still appreciate those convective NW air streams, but they are best suited to March or April than August. At this time of year, I value being able to get outdoors without it being cold and/or wet more than exciting weather for the sake of it.

Edited by cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 38.5*C said:

Where has summer 2018 gone? Whos flushed it down the pan cos im surprised its being compared with 1976 and 1995 still.   There have been loads of features missing this summer such as strong Southernly plumes. Why Is it we can we get a southernly in crap summers like 2007 and 2012 yet could'nt gain a single gush of S'ly air in 2018???

I'd happily trade the odd southerly for the weeks of glorious sunshine we had through June and July! Anyway, there were a couple of days of southerlies at the end of July when it reached 35c.

People are moaning that this August hasn't been very good, but the mean was still running at 18c til the 21st!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already posted stats showing that the first 20 or so days of August were sunnier than the first 20 of June for much of England. Obviously this time around we're not getting a very sunny end to the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today feels warmer than last few, days of greyness, today morning been sunny, convective cloud build up now though

seems to make hell of a difference when sun comes out

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we include May then i strongly suspect that 2018 would only be beaten by 1976 and 1995 (i only have a few memories of the later) because May and June were utterly wonderful (hot, dry, no humidity, decent night temperatures) however if restricting to the summer as a whole then 2006 beats 2018 purely because although still very warm, July 18 was not as nice a month as July 06. 2003 falls behind both for me. 

Summers 1990 and 2013 had stellar months but can't be compared. This was a summer, not a heatwave. 

I'll remember this summer fondly but because of how bad it felt once the pattern changed around mid-month (to more plume than high pressure type weather) it will be let down in the memory for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I'd happily trade the odd southerly for the weeks of glorious sunshine we had through June and July! Anyway, there were a couple of days of southerlies at the end of July when it reached 35c.

People are moaning that this August hasn't been very good, but the mean was still running at 18c til the 21st!

It’s been disappointing for sunshine levels, but was good until the 6th or 7th. Since then, it’s been average to poor for sunshine levels. June and July were much better months for sunshine and warmth in the London area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

If we include May then i strongly suspect that 2018 would only be beaten by 1976 and 1995 (i only have a few memories of the later) because May and June were utterly wonderful (hot, dry, no humidity, decent night temperatures) however if restricting to the summer as a whole then 2006 beats 2018 purely because although still very warm, July 18 was not as nice a month as July 06. 2003 falls behind both for me. 

Summers 1990 and 2013 had stellar months but can't be compared. This was a summer, not a heatwave. 

I'll remember this summer fondly but because of how bad it felt once the pattern changed around mid-month (to more plume than high pressure type weather) it will be let down in the memory for me. 

I think most people will remember summer 2018 as a good one, especially as it followed a cold late winter and cold early spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Summers in order with the best at the top 
1976 301
1995 298
2018 278 (up to 22nd August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However this summer is perceived, it has still been absolutely crap for storms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

However this summer is perceived, it has still been absolutely crap for storms. 

As bad as summer 1989. That at least did have a good prolonged storm during the May but this year has been even worse than last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that August has seemed a bit poor. Not least because the perception was that the background signals everybody quotes in the mad thread would deliver a continuation of the good weather. On many times people proposed the best of the weather was still to come when we were in the late July heatwave, when in fact it was the peak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

As bad as summer 1989. That at least did have a good prolonged storm during the May but this year has been even worse than last year.

 Pretty much the opposite in this area then, as we did get thunderstorms at the end of May, whereas last year we got none at all. So this year is actually an improvement on last year here for thunder, if only by default of the fact we actually got any at all. Not that I'm putting down the event itself, as it was actually two separate storms in a 24 hour period and they were pretty impressive at that. Just goes to show though how different areas can have very different results in terms of a particular year been worse or better than another year for certain weather events.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

I think that August has seemed a bit poor. Not least because the perception was that the background signals everybody quotes in the mad thread would deliver a continuation of the good weather. On many times people proposed the best of the weather was still to come when we were in the late July heatwave, when in fact it was the peak. 

It was always looking a front loaded summer, with the best conditions earlier on. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the pinnacle of this summer was June... Albeit still with a lot of good weather well into July. 

I'm really quite peeved with myself as although I did think we'd see a good start to the season, I never thought we'd see it last as long as it did. In fact I believed summer would finish closer to '07 than' 76.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Summers in order with the best at the top 
1976 301
1995 298
2018 278 (up to 22nd August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251

should do one for just june/july, might be best then, as a guess this summer finish around 275

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

It was always looking a front loaded summer, with the best conditions earlier on. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the pinnacle of this summer was June... Albeit still with a lot of good weather well into July. 

I'm really quite peeved with myself as although I did think we'd see a good start to the season, I never thought we'd see it last as long as it did. In fact I believed summer would finish closer to '07 than' 76.

well we did get the longest widespread consecutive days of 25c+ late june/early july , so id agree (i use 25c as the benchmark)

and i agree with you regarding storms..... forgot what they are! lol

Edited by mushymanrob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

However this summer is perceived, it has still been absolutely crap for storms. 

Late May and early June was good for storms, but only if you were in the London and southeast area. Those late May storms were pretty severe, and the best I’ve seen for years. The July 2017 and June 2016 storms were also good and long lasting.

I was expecting more storms to appear though during August, and that has been a let down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a difference a day makes,spent today jumping in and out of a car,6 calls lugging heavy kit,hardly broke sweat(well nearly),no banging headache,good nights sleep helped. Near perfect weather at this time of year for working,i know many won't agree,but for actually getting out and about so much less draining than even yesterday let alone the Summer we have had. No way i could have done this in June/July. I would have been in trouble health wise.

Not the perfect weather i grant otherwise at this time of year if your holidaying or with kids. But for late August in the UK,not to bad to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just attempted to go for a walk. Utterly, disgustingly bitterly cold outside. My hands even started to go numb and this was wearing my winter coat. Could feel the headache coming on, and not to mention it was gloomy, vile, windy and damp outside adding to the wonderment of it all. Felt like the depths of November. Might hibernate for the next 2-4 days until something more seasonal arrives again. Here's to a warm and dry September! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...