Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Quote

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Message added by Paul

Recommended Posts

In addition there is a signal appearing for high pressure to rebuild from the west as we head into the middle part of August.  It may or may not happen but it is supported by NOAA's 8-14 day outlook and the last two ECMWF operational runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warmest august day since 2003 about 3 or 4c below what we had then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peaked at 30c today in Northolt. Heathrow got to 29.2c.

Seems like the heat today wasn’t just a SE affair, many places in England and Wales have seen temps into the high 20s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it was 28C here today with lots of sunshine and a nice breeze. Close to perfection. I wish it didn't have to end. 😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes, it was 28C here today with lots of sunshine and a nice breeze. Close to perfection. I wish it didn't have to end. 😪

Southern California has endless days like this through autumn and winter but for me the fact it doesn’t go on for ever makes it more special - another amazing summer day though we must be close to one of the best periods of continuous summer whether since may here in the south east ..!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, danm said:

Peaked at 30c today in Northolt. Heathrow got to 29.2c.

Seems like the heat today wasn’t just a SE affair, many places in England and Wales have seen temps into the high 20s. 

Can confirm.  Recorded 27C here in SE Wales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Southern California has endless days like this through autumn and winter but for me the fact it doesn’t go on for ever makes it more special - another amazing summer day though we must be close to one of the best periods of continuous summer whether since may here in the south east ..!? 

It does make it less special but I'd love to have Californian summers.. with thunderstorms every few days, lol. Or Floridian summers without the oppressive humidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cheese said:

It does make it less special but I'd love to have Californian summers.. with thunderstorms every few days, lol. Or Floridian summers without the oppressive humidity.

California's  climate  is perfect especially  around Salinas, I'm having a property  built there on my dad's old plot ,to finish out my days ,lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

California's  climate  is perfect especially  around Salinas, I'm having a property  built there on my dad's old plot ,to finish out my days ,lol

I think San Diego has perfect summer weather - average highs of 25C in August with 71% of possible sunshine. I'd love that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 292 (up to 5th August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 
1994 240
1934 238
1940 238
2018 237 <------if rest of August records zero sunshine, rain everyday and a mean maximum of 15C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 292 (up to 5th August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 
1994 240
1934 238
1940 238
2018 237 <------if rest of August records zero sunshine, rain everyday and a mean maximum of 15C

The thing that standouts for me about this summer and indeed since mid April is the amount of sunshine that there has been. A quick review of all my timelapses there has only been two days where the sun hasn't even put in just a brief glimpse, 24th April and 25th May. The number of times I have caught the sun setting in the west in that period has been remarkable. 

Overall, it has been a sunny year thus far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manchester very good for sunshine though, here been very few sunny early mornings, but always sunny in evenings

today horrible start exposed to this cheshire gap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really looking forward to the change this week,it'll be so refreshing not to get home dripping with sweat and have a banging headache! Autumn the best season of the year is around the corner,after this summer can't wait for it to arrive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Manchester very good for sunshine though, here been very few sunny early mornings, but always sunny in evenings

today horrible start exposed to this cheshire gap

Nothing to do with the Cheshire Gap 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met office still say could be hot spells in the South lather this month ,so after the weekend could be nice again 

 

Edited by SLEETY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Met office still say could be hot spells in the South lather this month ,so after the weekend could be nice again 

 

It can be nice without it being hot.

Yes Met sticking with the thought of more heat perhaps later in the south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One weekend of the year I don't want significant rainfall is this coming weekend. Sods law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

It can be nice without it being hot.

Yes Met sticking with the thought of more heat perhaps later in the south.

The latest video update calls for one final 'hurrah' tomorrow with 35c not out the question in SE England.

Severe thunderstorms drifting up from France on the menu later too.

 

Edited by sunnijim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45085034

Can only hope and pray this is wrong!! The last thing we need! Can you imagine the impact on farming?

you mean YOU dont want it to be right! lol.

theres nothing we can do about it, whether thats right or wrong. so IF it happens and we get more heat, ill enjoy it. may as well, cant change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, markyo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45085034

Can only hope and pray this is wrong!! The last thing we need! Can you imagine the impact on farming?

Fingers crossed they're on the money.

 

That article is a little clickbait from the BBC though.

A headline of it being hot until October followed up with a quote that says " It is likely to stay cooler throughout next weekend, he said, with "no real sign of any return of the heat that we have been seeing over the recent days". "

 

right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, markyo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45085034

Can only hope and pray this is wrong!! The last thing we need! Can you imagine the impact on farming?

Hopefully they'll be right would be nice to have an extension of summer into Autumn after winter lingered on until almost April for some areas

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...