Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Quote

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Message added by Paul

Recommended Posts

Hi Chris, 

Hope you're feeling  better now. Can I take the liberty of repeating some of the comments I posted, on the "Who else can't wait for this heatwave to end", thread.

Quote:

"Really agree with the author of this thread. Had a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in Sept.2015 and it's really affected my stamina/energy levels. Plus my wife and I live in a "doll house", sized house, in S.E.London. The heat just accumulates, day on day and doesn't disperse. We have a fan, in the lounge and in the bedroom and despite them being on full blast, for what seems like, weeks on end, it doesn't seem to make much difference. At times, just feels like warm air being circulated.  Fed up with reading some members on the MOD thread, seemingly being in "orgasmic" mode, over the heat. Come and live in S.E.London, in this heat, they might not be so enthusiastic about this horrid weather, then!! Yes, it really wants to "do one" now and b....r off, from whence it came!!"

And

Quote:

"Ended up in casualty at Queen Mary's hospital, Sidcup, on Monday evening, after my left ankle became swollen to twice the size of the right one!! Wife takes no chances with me now, after seeing me die twice, after my brain haemorrhage.  Worrying that it was a blood clot, whipped me off to casualty, bless her. After seeing a triage nurse, BP was fine, that was reassuring. Then waited three hours to see a doctor, who reassured us, it wasn't a blood clot but in his opinion, a reaction, to the extreme heat.

Doctor told me to rest the leg, as much as possible, keep it elevated and drink plenty of fluids. 

After really struggling in this heat, perhaps I won't be so bullish about cold and snow!! As we know, that can also be a health hazard, to the sick and elderly. As the saying goes, "One man's meat, is another man's poison!!"

I see some on the S.E. thread, are moaning that it's too windy today!! Crikey, get real, it's been like a b....y millpond, for weeks, on end.  We live on an island, at the western edge, of a huge landmass, with the vast Atlantic Ocean, to our west. Why don't they go and live on a sailing ship, in the "Doldrums", for pete's sake!!

Rant over, Anyway, hope you're feeling better, Chris.

Regards,

Tom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Chris, 

Hope you're feeling  better now. Can I take the liberty of repeating some of the comments I posted, on the "Who else can't wait for this heatwave to end", thread.

Quote:

"Really agree with the author of this thread. Had a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in Sept.2015 and it's really affected my stamina/energy levels. Plus my wife and I live in a "doll house", sized house, in S.E.London. The heat just accumulates, day on day and doesn't disperse. We have a fan, in the lounge and in the bedroom and despite them being on full blast, for what seems like, weeks on end, it doesn't seem to make much difference. At times, just feels like warm air being circulated.  Fed up with reading some members on the MOD thread, seemingly being in "orgasmic" mode, over the heat. Come and live in S.E.London, in this heat, they might not be so enthusiastic about this horrid weather, then!! Yes, it really wants to "do one" now and b....r off, from whence it came!!"

And

Quote:

"Ended up in casualty at Queen Mary's hospital, Sidcup, on Monday evening, after my left ankle became swollen to twice the size of the right one!! Wife takes no chances with me now, after seeing me die twice, after my brain haemorrhage.  Worrying that it was a blood clot, whipped me off to casualty, bless her. After seeing a triage nurse, BP was fine, that was reassuring. Then waited three hours to see a doctor, who reassured us, it wasn't a blood clot but in his opinion, a reaction, to the extreme heat.

Doctor told me to rest the leg, as much as possible, keep it elevated and drink plenty of fluids. 

After really struggling in this heat, perhaps I won't be so bullish about cold and snow!! As we know, that can also be a health hazard, to the sick and elderly. As the saying goes, "One man's meat, is another man's poison!!"

I see some on the S.E. thread, are moaning that it's too windy today!! Crikey, get real, it's been like a b....y millpond, for weeks, on end.  We live on an island, at the western edge, of a huge landmass, with the vast Atlantic Ocean, to our west. Why don't they go and live on a sailing ship, in the "Doldrums", for pete's sake!!

Rant over, Anyway, hope you're feeling better, Chris.

Regards,

Tom.

Cheers.  I think I was a touch dehydrated - too distracted by yesterday evenings' storms to remember to drink(!) plus possibly getting rather hot in bed last night.  I trust you're feeling better now as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, thanks Chris. It was so nice to open the front door, this morning and feel a fresh breeze (yes. BREEZE), blowing in. To read some of the comments, you'd think a hurricane was blowing!!

Regards,

Tom.

 

Edited by TomSE12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices

  Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 287 (up to 27th July)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 
1994 240
1934 238
1940 238
1941 236
2014 236
1970 235
1969 234
1973 234
1999 234
1997 232
1990 229
1917 228
1926 227
2005 224
1905 223
1932 223
1945 223
1967 223
1977 223
1914 222
1992 222
1908 220
1960 217
1950 216
1957 216
1968 215
1906 214
1942 214
214  <---------------if rest of summer has a mean max of 15C, zero sunshine and rain everyday

 

Final value of Manchester Summer Index if  August 2018 is identical to these past unimpressive Augusts

August 1985: 250

August 1986: 252

August 1992: 271

August 1994: 275

August 1999: 274

August 2004: 267

August 2006: 257

August 2008: 256

August 2009: 263

August 2010: 256

August 2011: 255

August 2014: 254

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The minimum temperature today was 13C.. set at 4:15pm during a thunderstorm. Getting the low temp at random times of the day is obviously pretty normal in winter but very rare in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are now feeling the cold today crazy stuff,I thought it was perfect abit windy earlier I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

People are now feeling the cold today crazy stuff,I thought it was perfect abit windy earlier I suppose.

If people insist on dressing and acting the same today as they did yesterday when it was 6-8 degrees hotter and with no breeze then it gives them a reason to moan about the cooler conditions and lust after endless heatwaves.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

If people insist on dressing and acting the same today as they did yesterday when it was 6-8 degrees hotter and with no breeze then it gives them a reason to moan about the cooler conditions and lust after endless heatwaves.

Having to wear layers in the middle of summer is more than enough reason to lust after warmer weather. Today would have been okay if it wasn't for that blustery wind.

Edited by cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Having to wear layers in the middle of summer is more than enough reason to lust after warmer weather. Today would have been okay if it wasn't for that blustery wind.

Layers?  Long sleeves maybe; a light cardigan perhaps.  I'm obviously weird in that I'm used to English summers often being cool, cloudy and wet.  If todays' conditions had appeared during the summer of 2007, we'd have viewed it as a significant improvement in conditions.  Now it seems to be enough to provoke mourning.  I'm afraid I really don't understand this obsession with the idea that a summer is a massive disappointment unless it's 30C+ and humid 90% of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Layers?  Long sleeves maybe; a light cardigan perhaps.  I'm obviously weird in that I'm used to English summers often being cool, cloudy and wet.  If todays' conditions had appeared during the summer of 2007, we'd have viewed it as a significant improvement in conditions.  Now it seems to be enough to provoke mourning.  I'm afraid I really don't understand this obsession with the idea that a summer is a massive disappointment unless it's 30C+ and humid 90% of the time.

I really don't understand why you feel the need to moan about what other people want. Maybe you should just enjoy the cooler conditions while they are here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cheese said:

Having to wear layers in the middle of summer is more than enough reason to lust after warmer weather. Today would have been okay if it wasn't for that blustery wind.

Wear layers? Why? To be honest anybody with a coat on today i found a bit odd to say the least. Spoke to a few(non coat wearers) and everyone was loving the cooler conditions!

Edited by markyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

Wear layers? Why? To be honest anybody with a coat on today i found a bit odd to say the least. Spoke to a few and everyone was loving the cooler conditions!

Probably because it didn't feel too warm? What is it with people on this stupid forum having to constantly question other people's weather preferences? 

To me, high teens and gusty winds does not constitute warm, in any sense. It is a distinctly below-par summer's day. It's not awful, but far from ideal and if we had an entire summer of days like today, it would go down as a poor one. Now, if it was low 20s with sunshine and little wind, that would be different - you would have no complaints from me (and quite frankly, certain people on here have spent more time moaning about other people wanting hot weather than I have moaning about it being cooler, which I haven't really done at all).

Edited by cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

never understand those ratings Mr D, but assume after say Tuesday won't be in top 3, like a points system?

 

Yes, the index goes up and down but even if we get a poor August and the index as a result falls, the overall summer is still going to be up there with some of the greats. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cheese said:

Probably because it didn't feel too warm? What is it with people on this stupid forum having to constantly question other people's weather preferences? 

Ok fair enough,that's your opinion. Just when it does get hot again don't forget what you have just posted. It has been really nice on this "stupid" forum recently,just banter,loved it. It is only weather after all,we can't change it no matter how much we'd wish and believe me after these 2 months i wish i could!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yes, the index goes up and down but even if we get a poor August and the index as a result falls, the overall summer is still going to be up there with some of the greats. 

 

suppose 250+ is a good summer? say 252? but if we finish on 252, assume it has to be a lousy August

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

Ok fair enough,that's your opinion. Just when it does get hot again don't forget what you have just posted. It has been really nice on this "stupid" forum recently,just banter,loved it. It is only weather after all,we can't change it no matter how much we'd wish and believe me after these 2 months i wish i could!

You are right, which is why I don't understand why certain people insist on moaning about what other people want, as if it makes any difference. I am eagerly awaiting a return to warmer weather - and no, it doesn't have to be 30C with 90% humidity for me to be happy. As I mentioned, late June conditions would be perfect - mid 20s with low humidity and clear blue skies. I don't even find 30C with high humidity pleasant, though I can tolerate it easily.

I think people are also forgetting that it's only over the past week or 2 that humidity levels have increased. It's not like we've had 2 months of high humidity and 30C temps. This isn't Singapore, lol.

Edited by cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cheese said:

Having to wear layers in the middle of summer is more than enough reason to lust after warmer weather. Today would have been okay if it wasn't for that blustery wind.

Agreed. I resent having to wear a jumper in high summer. Today could have been very nice, fresh and sunny but the screaming wind ruined it. It does make me laugh how people on here express endless concern for trees and wildlife in the heat/drought but go suddenly quiet when the wind is ripping them to pieces!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

You are right, which is why I don't understand why certain people insist on moaning about what other people want, as if it makes any difference. I am eagerly awaiting a return to warmer weather - and no, it doesn't have to be 30C with 90% humidity for me to be happy. As I mentioned, late June conditions would be perfect - mid 20s with low humidity and clear blue skies. I don't even find 30C with high humidity pleasant, though I can tolerate it easily.

I think people are also forgetting that it's only over the past week or 2 that humidity levels have increased. It's not like we've had 2 months of high humidity and 30C temps. This isn't Singapore, lol.

could be worse cheese like Midlands thread, miserable wanting,loving this rain/cooler Atlantic weather

so feel like 'trolling' thread, kinda already have done, posting the warm/sunny charts from models, and bring it on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

suppose 250+ is a good summer? say 252? but if we finish on 252, assume it has to be a lousy August

 

Yes if August is as poor as say August 1986

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

could be worse cheese like Midlands thread, miserable wanting,loving this rain/cooler Atlantic weather

so feel like 'trolling' thread, kinda already have done, posting the warm/sunny charts from models, and bring it on

Rest my case. Nothing else i can say to be honest. We're just here for fun aren't we? The weather does what it wants after all,like it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agreed. I resent having to wear a jumper in high summer. Today could have been very nice, fresh and sunny but the screaming wind ruined it. It does make me laugh how people on here express endless concern for trees and wildlife in the heat/drought but go suddenly quiet when the wind is ripping them to pieces!

Drought stress will cause issues.Screaming wind?  Down south adjectives i suspect differ to us up North..😀....bit of banter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temperatures haven't been too extreme here in South Wales as of late.  That might be set to change next week if this ensemble forecast for Cardiff is correct.  Pleasant temperatures of 30°C with lovely cool nights in the mid to high teens:

gefstmp2mmaxCardiff.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Probably because it didn't feel too warm? What is it with people on this stupid forum having to constantly question other people's weather preferences? 

To me, high teens and gusty winds does not constitute warm, in any sense. It is a distinctly below-par summer's day. It's not awful, but far from ideal and if we had an entire summer of days like today, it would go down as a poor one. Now, if it was low 20s with sunshine and little wind, that would be different - you would have no complaints from me (and quite frankly, certain people on here have spent more time moaning about other people wanting hot weather than I have moaning about it being cooler, which I haven't really done at all).

This, some people prefer more traditional British summers and others prefer more Mediterranean/Continental style summers, neither preference is technically better, it is merely just a preference, those ridiculing people for wanting t-shirt weather for a couple months a year are pathetic frankly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...