Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Message added by Paul

7 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

The thing that's worrying me, is the apparent similarity to early May 1980...the rest of that summer was indescribably awful. Thank goodness I don't trust pattern-matching!🌽🚶‍♀️:D

I have read the metoffice website for 1980, and that summer still had warm to hot periods in early June, late July and early August, with thunderstorms, and some severe storms in June. 

Just how bad was it? Does anyone here remember it first hand?

At least you could get a thunderstorm back in 1980. Nowadays your lucky if you get a lightning strike!

2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I have read the metoffice website for 1980, and that summer still had warm to hot periods in early June, late July and early August, with thunderstorms, and some severe storms in June. 

It was shocking in London.

June had an average high of 19.8c, July 19.7c and August 21.6c. Every month was wetter and cloudier than average.

Wasn’t there another daytime darkness event during that summer, similar to August 81 in the London area?

12 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

In my neck of the woods (N.Cheshire/Merseyside) that summer was fair to middling, nothing really spectacular.  Of course that's my subjective view.

11 hours ago, 38.5*C said:

At least you could get a thunderstorm back in 1980. Nowadays your lucky if you get a lightning strike!

We don't get the really dark skies  at midday.. You know when its almost dark  because of threat of heavy rain and thunder :yahoo:

1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Wasn’t there another daytime darkness event during that summer, similar to August 81 in the London area?

I can’t remember the 1980 storms but I will never forget the early August 1981 storms. They were responsible for my thunderstorm fascination ever since. I’ve seen daytime darkness from storms here 3 times in my lifetime but that was the most intense. 

Here are the temps and rainfall for the summer months in 1980. Pretty awful.

June: http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=6&annee=1980

July: http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=7&annee=1980

August: http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=8&annee=1980

August was the best month but still poor compared to normal. July looks vomit-inducing, multiple days in the teens?!

We have lots of poor summers  even in the  1980s and in the last decade.. Yet some people think the good summers are the ones that should be taken as gospel andl as the norm. I think  its pretty obvious when it comes to English weather over all. There is no correlation from one year to the next.. No one as any idea what this summer will be like. Just like no one had any clue we would have  snow and very cold weather from the east of Europe like we did in Feb and March. You can look at the stats all you want.Just because we expect  so much sunshine and look at  the 1990s. The 1980s we had poor summers apparently.(was only young so cant remember)

2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

We have lots of poor summers  even in the  1980s and in the last decade.. Yet some people think the good summers are the ones that should be taken as gospel andl as the norm. I think  its pretty obvious when it comes to English weather over all. There is no correlation from one year to the next.. No one as any idea what this summer will be like. Just like no one had any clue we would have  snow and very cold weather from the east of Europe like we did in Feb and March. You can look at the stats all you want.Just because we expect  so much sunshine and look at  the 1990s. The 1980s we had poor summers apparently.(was only young so cant remember)

We certainly had some pretty rubbish summers is the 1980’s. A few were reasonable and 1983 in particular, was very good. It was a decade where many parts of the UK had some very impressive thunderstorm outbreaks, though.

52 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

That July in 1980 is about as cold as July can get in London. I think only July 1954 was comparable.

The 1980s were fairly mixed; 80, 85, 86, 87, 88 were poor or terrible. 1983, 1989 were both very good. 1981, 82, 84 were either side of average.

Edited by B87

July 2013 was my favourite summery month of this decade. Continual high pressure😊

24 minutes ago, Matthew. said:

July 2013 was my favourite summery month of this decade. Continual high pressure😊

Only a few summer months this decade that actually stick out. July 2013, July 2014, August 2016 and June 2017.

45 minutes ago, B87 said:

That July in 1980 is about as cold as July can get in London. I think only July 1954 was comparable.

The 1980s were fairly mixed; 80, 85, 86, 87, 88 were poor or terrible. 1983, 1989 were both very good. 1981, 82, 84 were either side of average.

Doesn't compete with July 1988. That had the added "bonus" of being a washout as well. That's the worst July I have experienced. 

26 minutes ago, Matthew. said:

I agree July 2013 was fantastic and then from the 22nd and 23rd there were some impressive thunderstorms, also I remember around the 27th and 28th there were also some thunderstorms, but the thing I remember was a massive area of rain exploded into life with it being torrential literally for hours on the night of the 27th with a few imbedded storms..

1 hour ago, B87 said:

I think 84 was hot wasn’t it. I was too young to remember 81 or 82, although I do recall June being hot at some point, and some thunderstorms, and also the daytime darkness of August 81. I thought it was the weirdest thing ever to witness as a child. Felt like midnight around lunchtime.

It’s a shame there’s no footage or pictures of the storms of 81 around the London area. I wonder if we will ever witness something like that again. The closest thing recently was the sand cloud from the Sahara last October. 

1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

I think 84 was hot wasn’t it. I was too young to remember 81 or 82, although I do recall June being hot at some point, and some thunderstorms, and also the daytime darkness of August 81. I thought it was the weirdest thing ever to witness as a child. Felt like midnight around lunchtime.

It’s a shame there’s no footage or pictures of the storms of 81 around the London area. I wonder if we will ever witness something like that again. The closest thing recently was the sand cloud from the Sahara last October. 

This is the only photo I could find, taken in Surrey at midday. I remember similar looking skies in Staines, Middlesex, before the very bright and frequent forked lightning began and the streets flooded!

EAB8C6E6-15DD-46A7-BB1A-839DF49AEC25.jpeg

Gotta say the coldies wont be pleased  with this weather. Its getting very humid now :yahoo: the person who complains when its 8;3c  will be having kittens :pardon:

2 hours ago, B87 said:

A bit different to how I would describe it here in the pennines,1980,85,86,87 and 88 I would describe as poor with 1981 decent,1982 better than average.None I would describe as terrible like 2008 and 2012 with 1983,1984 and 1989 all being better than any summer since with the exception of 1995.

On 06/05/2018 at 17:01, stainesbloke said:

This is the only photo I could find, taken in Surrey at midday. I remember similar looking skies in Staines, Middlesex, before the very bright and frequent forked lightning began and the streets flooded!

EAB8C6E6-15DD-46A7-BB1A-839DF49AEC25.jpeg

Cloud tops must have been 40,000 feet that day. I wonder if flights were diverted? 

On 06/05/2018 at 16:50, Sunny76 said:

1984 had fairly average temperatures in London, but it was sunnier than average. June averaged 21c, with 24c in July and August.

1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Cloud tops must have been 40,000 feet that day. I wonder if flights were diverted? 

Probably more like 50000ft if it was totally dark. I remember a few thunderstorms in March/April 2016 had cloud tops around 35-40000ft.