Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Another stunning evening, been a few good NLC shows over the past few nights, might be on again tonight.

IMG_20180624_221539.thumb.jpg.0461ab816c5214a5d7def00a7cb5b387.jpg

IMG_20180623_002546.thumb.jpg.87e7702b4b80571b97ebde14ad8362cb.jpg

Just had to mention this as have just been out to watch the glow of the set sun to the north and was coming back through the garden when I noticed our resident badger has helped himself to one of the early potato plants and scoffed the lot.  Have never witnessed this before Had just told Mrs Northernlights that they would be ready to use in week. Another first for this year, a year that that is turning into a very memorable one not just the weather.  90% of hay  bales under cover and turnips almost all scarified. Currently  13.5c and clear.

A nice sunrise is always a plus:

20180625_044655.thumb.jpg.562f03ebe5a8167f52e8945ff1c27480.jpg

Edited by CatchMyDrift

If this is correct Embra and the SE borders going to be scorchio come midweek and is that 31c in Perth !!

arpegeuk-41-88-0.png?25-06

Edited by JoeShmoe

37 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

If this is correct Embra and the SE borders going to be scorchio come midweek and is that 31c in Perth !!

arpegeuk-41-88-0.png?25-06

I'm always a bit sceptical of the ARPEGE as it seems to over-egg everything a bit. However, I've never put this properly to the test. So here's the temp chart for today at 6pm, we just need to come back later and report our local temps compared to this chart. We reached 24C yesterday and we're about 4.5C ahead of the temperature we had reached at the same time yesterday so 27C today might happen (I'm gonna melt):

25JunArp18t.thumb.jpg.3692817eb5d9fd637ea28047e779b78e.jpg

If the chart you've posted for later in the week is correct that won't be far away from a Scottish record.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Thinking back to this time last year, Edinburgh was under water in it's wettest June on record. Very different story this year. 

sunshinegifford.jpg

Im struggling to think of a better May / June here - not too much haar and clear blue skies

Settled, sunny and cloudless with steadily improving temps through the weekend. Max of 23.3C yesterday and already 19.6C this morning. Proper scorchio by the looks of things later on this week and continuing dry and settled in the reliable. Some snaps from yesterday evening on the Langside (the hill road to Comrie). Glorious. 

IMG_20180624_2025042.jpg

IMG_20180624_2025068.jpg

IMG_20180624_2025122.jpg

IMG_20180624_2024466.jpg

Edited by Polar Gael

23C at 11am...27C doesn't look so stupid after all.

15 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

What do you use? I've been surprised at how effective Sainsbury's One a Day tablets have been.

Been using generic cetrizine and also loratadine (latter works best early in season, former once the grass pollen gets going).

This is the first year when neither have worked well for whatever reason.  Resorted to also combining the tablet with smearing petrolatum around the front and inside the nose. Kids find it hilarious and the shiny nose looks a bit silly but past caring as it does make a good difference in stopping the worst of the sneezing.

Going to be a hot day here, already up to 20C and unbroken sunshine.  Bit more of a breeze would be nice as the flies are swarming round humans and animals alike, no clegs (yet....).

6 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Been using generic cetrizine and also loratadine (latter works best early in season, former once the grass pollen gets going).

This is the first year when neither have worked well for whatever reason.  Resorted to also combining the tablet with smearing petrolatum around the front and inside the nose. Kids find it hilarious and the shiny nose looks a bit silly but past caring as it does make a good difference in stopping the worst of the sneezing.

Going to be a hot day here, already up to 20C and unbroken sunshine.  Bit more of a breeze would be nice as the flies are swarming round humans and animals alike, no clegs (yet....).

The clegs are coming absolutely horrendous  in the trossachs just now .it's usally the midges  that are the  worst  but this year it's  the ninja like clegs that's biting

5 minutes ago, Quinach said:

I never had hay fever until 2010, having just moved back south after 20 years' in the NW Highland countryside. Now, however, it's like an annual plague. What's more, I've no idea what the specific allergen is...?🌾

3 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

The clegs are coming absolutely horrendous  in the trossachs just now .it's usally the midges  that are the  worst  but this year it's  the ninja like clegs that's biting

Aye, and there's nowt much worse than a cleg-bite on the Trossachs!😱

Little more high cloud today but another scorchio

Cooler day than yesterday locally as an onshore breeze has pegged the temperature back to 19c. Still, under bright sunny skies there’s nothing to complain about!

Wee bit chilly at lunch......😂

IMG_20180625_125644.thumb.jpg.4e045e1aa01cbf7efd21bb78527957cb.jpg

23C here at the moment, plenty warm enough for me. Also suffering unusually badly with hay-fever the last few days, at a time of year when normally the worst is over for me. 

25C at 2pm, 24C at 3pm, 20C at 4pm.

The easterly breeze kicked in just before 3pm, still a nice day though :)

Got hotter and hotter up here, fabulous day and still hot!

22 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I see possible 29c for Glasgow this week. If we reach 30c I think that might be a first in my lifetime.

Aye it doesn’t happen often anywhere in Scotland. Last time for Glasgow (Airport) was from memory June 1995 (quite a year for temperature extremes!). I remember it well living and working in Glasgow at the time, the hot spell ended with cracking thunderstorms.

All time record is, I think, 31.2c (1975) at Glasgow Airport.

2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Aye it doesn’t happen often anywhere in Scotland. Last time for Glasgow (Airport) was from memory June 1995 (quite a year for temperature extremes!). I remember it well living and working in Glasgow at the time, the hot spell ended with cracking thunderstorms.

The Scottish record is 32.9C at Greycrook in 2003. I don’t think that is in danger this week but you never know.

Here we got 25.1 C as a max today beating the previous high by 0.1C before the breeze freshened from the SE in the afternoon. It was noticeably cooler the further Into town I went this afternoon with more of a breeze nearer the sea.

2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Okay, if the airport reached 30 in 1995 then it won't be a first in my lifetime! Still doesn't happen often as you say, so it really is a stand out forecast. Think 30c is now being predicted on Thurs although that will likely change.

Weird how all day it's been fairly breezy but as soon as night falls the wind drops completely. Another dry day but not the clear blue skies of yesterday pretty hot though