Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just like a day in late spring with grond drying up rapidly . Been a strange old year for weather.

Speaking to a hay customer who is a private jet pilot about the topsy turvey atmosphere and he was telling me about a fairly new flying problem they have had in the last few years.They normally fly at about 40000 feet but have suddenly hit pockets of much warmer air that will not support the aircraft which would stall . All the warning instruments come on and they have to drop quickly about 5000 feet to get colder air to support the aircraft. This according to him is not usual and is maybe another sign of a disturbed atmosphere.

Not an expert but perhaps another sign of climate change

Changes of temperature at a fixed altitude are not uncommon though. Certainly modern passenger jet engines have superchargers to maintain the density of the air entering the engines should they hit a patch of higher temperatures and therefore less dense air.

21 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

If it does, will need to make our annual pilgrimage to Auchengarrich, only ever seem to go when it's cold and white. Will wave at you from the hill

Whoop Whoop, 6 hours of heavy snaw.....

image.thumb.png.274a704653aa7ea2981c6839ce7ef75a.png

If ya make it and you need a warm up pop in for a cuppa. just checked it out on google maps and it looks as if its just south west of my location, if i go to the top of my garden i will probably be able to see you waving, but then again there will be a blizzard going on so visibility will be poor.

7 minutes ago, More Snow said:

If ya make it and you need a warm up pop in for a cuppa. just checked it out on google maps and it looks as if its just south west of my location, if i go to the top of my garden i will probably be able to see you waving, but then again there will be a blizzard going on so visibility will be poor.

Well worth a trip http://www.auchingarrich.co.uk/ views are stunning on a clear day.

4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just like a day in late spring with grond drying up rapidly . Been a strange old year for weather.

Speaking to a hay customer who is a private jet pilot about the topsy turvey atmosphere and he was telling me about a fairly new flying problem they have had in the last few years.They normally fly at about 40000 feet but have suddenly hit pockets of much warmer air that will not support the aircraft which would stall . All the warning instruments come on and they have to drop quickly about 5000 feet to get colder air to support the aircraft. This according to him is not usual and is maybe another sign of a disturbed atmosphere.

Not an expert but perhaps another sign of climate change

I find this fascinating, despite a love of aviation I had no idea that there was an impact due to air temp... I will need to go google

1 hour ago, More Snow said:

Looks good for a day out does that. not over priced either. cheers.

keep an eye on groupon…… comes on every year at various times at around £13 for a family ticket.....im normally there twice a year...….

• Like 1

Not a good day to be up in the hills. Just a tad breezy.

Forecast to be pretty much the same tomorrow and worse on Saturday.

9BAFA1BF-F9BC-4CE9-A4FD-B8A346612E69.png

1 hour ago, edo said:

keep an eye on groupon…… comes on every year at various times at around £13 for a family ticket.....im normally there twice a year...….

We have been going since it was the old wooden shed with gas heaters that made no difference at all, 2009 was particularly brutal, seem to recall -15 inside the hut. Very different now, and the food is excellent.

Cold bitey wind outside, need to go warm the car up.

• Like 1

Work Xmas party for me tomorrow (groan) some snow would be welcome for Saturday. A good excuse to laze around nursing my head. 

Lol. Snow and ice warning from the MO for me for Saturday. Hell will freeze over first. Some rural communities could be cut off, they say. What they mean is, we're all on the laughing gas here in Exeter, Emilia has just hit the wrong button on the control panel and you're all going to die!!!

• Like 5

Heavy snow for this postcode but turning to rain on Sun morning when the temp goes up to 3C.

I'm increasingly seeing a wintry second half to December for anyway with a bit of height in Scotland, much more in the way of polar maritime air and north westerly influence. Good for the ski resorts.

• Like 5

The Euro4 is very bullish about the snow prospects for tomorrow, this was a bit of a surprise to wake up to:

1412e41.thumb.jpg.7f57b9151d8cd24a7e7a4215fea05952.jpg1412e42.thumb.jpg.8f401691029b0c7b94c4f65dbe12223c.jpg1412e43.thumb.jpg.87bcbf2e08e89e7218964ea96b04492b.jpg1412e44.thumb.jpg.ea7c10d9b2a2c8bc22d6595d28c32119.jpg

An utter pasting for some parts...if it is right.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Euro4 is very bullish about the snow prospects for tomorrow, this was a bit of a surprise to wake up to:

1412e41.thumb.jpg.7f57b9151d8cd24a7e7a4215fea05952.jpg1412e42.thumb.jpg.8f401691029b0c7b94c4f65dbe12223c.jpg1412e43.thumb.jpg.87bcbf2e08e89e7218964ea96b04492b.jpg1412e44.thumb.jpg.ea7c10d9b2a2c8bc22d6595d28c32119.jpg

An utter pasting for some parts...if it is right.

It also shows why this is very marginal for Edinburgh / Eastern coastal areas and why I'm not expecting much here. Previous similar setups have generally yielded hee haw. I'll not have to drive far though 😀

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

I've given up on it, don't think it's going to snow in Edinburgh. Upper temperatures are shooting up to +3 right above the city tomorrow afternoon, so if it snows I will be very surprised. Rain could potentially turn back into sleet/wet now through the night into sunday if ground temperatures stay low enough

There could also be a couple of flurries around midday tomorrow. But that's about as interesting as it gets. Then we're back to mild and wet, with temps up to 10 degrees on tuesday :( 

Interesting developments are appearing on the models around Christmas

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CameronWS said:

Surely you’d expect the west coast to be more marginal than BBC are showing?

4FC378AD-E6E6-4791-9D03-3C42BF2DA44B.png

Yes, even the Euro4 charts I posted amd described as "bullish" aren't as wall to wall snow as the BBC are showing.

• Like 2

Dunno what yer Mannie oan the Beeb is on! I've looked at three online forecasts for the weekend and none of them predict snaw for my area. Sure, the mountains will get a taste of it but we're just forecast for sleet and rain and strong winds. A normal December day really. Current temp is 4.1c, so getting chillier by the minute. :cold:

• Like 2

Brrrr -4 when I got in the car at 8am. 5 live reporter suggest possible significant falls for the Central Belt, will wait and see.

• Like 2

That forecast looks good to me.. BRING ME MY SNAW...☃️☃️☃️❄❄❄

HURRAH!!! We've finally gone subzero up on the hill for the first time since the spring! 🙂 Low of -1.1C this morning, with a stunning sunrise to match 🙂 It's about bloody time!

P1010822.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all

Looking forward to some potential white stuff tomorrow.  I'll only ever believe it when I see it here however 🙂  Fingers crossed we get something on the ground which would be rather nice.  Good luck to everyone in your snow chase!

Tim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

I've given up on it, don't think it's going to snow in Edinburgh. Upper temperatures are shooting up to +3 right above the city tomorrow afternoon, so if it snows I will be very surprised. Rain could potentially turn back into sleet/wet now through the night into sunday if ground temperatures stay low enough

There could also be a couple of flurries around midday tomorrow. But that's about as interesting as it gets. Then we're back to mild and wet, with temps up to 10 degrees on tuesday 😞

Interesting developments are appearing on the models around Christmas

These setups are next to useless round these parts. We might get snow from 1 in 10 frontal situations where a system meets cold air. I'd almost prefer a cold undercut with rain turning to snow. We do quite well from those situations up the hill here. 

That being said I'll still be eagerly watching things unfold tomorrow - hoping against hope 🤣 

• Like 1

My daughter is driving up from Glasgow to Dundee tomorrow and has asked if there could be problems with snow. I said she should try to get past Blackford to Broxden by early afternoon and she should be fine. Apparently she can’t leave too early as out on the razzle  tonight. Any thoughts?