Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
19 minutes ago, jtay said:

It passed over here at 5:30ish delivering, from what I could make out, nothing.

However, when I walked 2k South to Downton a bit later, there were flakes on the path in the water meadows. Not many, but they were there.

My daughter came in at something like 6:15am and said it’s snowing Daddy, and I laughed and said no it’s not sweety, that’s all done now.... opps I was wrong. ? I did apologise

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Up to 7.0°C now and all the snow has gone apart from a now headless snowman down the road. Trying to brighten up after a mostly cloudy morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Looks like the forum is starting to revert back to it' normal sleepy state. Like living in the alps down here at the moment . Tops of the moor still a brilliant white with lower areas returning to the greens and yellows of grassland.

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Looks like the forum is starting to revert back to it' normal sleepy state. Like living in the alps down here at the moment . Tops of the moor still a brilliant white with lower areas returning to the greens and yellows of grassland.

Glad you still have your snow. :) It will be a good while yet, before we see the wonderment of recent weeks, I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Funny how memories work - summer 2000 doesn't stand out as either a good, bad, dry or wet summer. June was ok and actually very dry, July had a very wet first week with thunderstorms, as were some of the closing days, but there was a long rainless period in between that was unfortunately rather cloudy. August was perhaps the most diverse month, often warm and muggy, sometimes hot, but with high rainfall totals spread over 4 or 5 days.

2001 and 2002 were actually worse at my location.

Autumn 2000 on the other hand, horrific!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Slow steady thaw continues. But still a good covering. 5.4c

Posted
20 hours ago, khodds said:

Amazing! Happy birthday for yesterday! I remember snow on my birthday once.. it was 18 years ago ?

Thankyou I really was happy because it’s rare ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Havent looked since yesterday here, hows the possible easter beast looking?

Posted
1 minute ago, Leon1 said:

Cold and wet. Not interested. :)

I posted 'Everybody loves the Sunshine' by Roy Ayers in the song thread. Great tune, but mostly as a plea for sanity.

Posted

Currently 8.4C in bright sunshine, even the breeze is beginning to feel "warmer". Matt still seems like you are so far east the colder weather is sticking with you as Mapantz is reading over 8C today and my garden reached a warming 10C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Currently 8.4C in bright sunshine, even the breeze is beginning to feel "warmer". Matt still seems like you are so far east the colder weather is sticking with you as Mapantz is reading over 8C today and my garden reached a warming 10C. 

Managed to get up to 8.7°C in the end when the sun finally came out. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Managed to get up to 8.7°C in the end when the sun finally came out. 

Exactly what I got to, Max of 8.7c at 3:39pm. ? 

Now down to 8.3c with a widespread frost to come overnight. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
33 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

The latest Meto update says this:

The Easter weekend is still too far away to be confident with any details. The most likely scenario currently is a spell of colder than average weather, with increased likelihood of overnight frosts, and a greater than normal chance of snow, especially in the north.

That looks to me that they are leaning towards the GFS idea of a northerly setting in, how potent it ends up remains to be seen.

Doesn't look as though we will get any warmer Springlike synoptics until mid-April at this rate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

for me, it would be good if we had this one last spell to wave off Spring Winter then have big heatwaves and thunderstorms then to revert back to cold and snowy in november

• Like 3

Posted

I just can’t see a snowy Easter for me, cold yes, snow not likely. Sounds horrendous 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

I just can’t see a snowy Easter for me, cold yes, snow not likely. Sounds horrendous 

Yes, does sound very much like one of those 'cold rain or sleet' scenarios for us unfortunately :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Agreed anything from the north or northwest tends to give naff all on the south coast wishbone effect and all. I could get something being out on the limb down here but no doubt cold rain if anything.

Nope the holy grail is weather from the east for folks below the M4, lightening has struck twice, we were spoilt rotten. In the future our futile chases for a flurry or 2 from a north or norwester will be fun but ultimately we'll know it won't deliver. Mind you if it gets to 2020 and we are without snow for 2 years I'll be on lamp post watch with the best of you.

All eyes next season on the stratosphere this is the best way for snow me thinks! Or we can just watch out for @karlos1983 easterly watch updates!!!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Agreed anything from the north or northwest tends to give naff all on the south coast wishbone effect and all. I could get something being out on the limb down here but no doubt cold rain if anything.

Nope the holy grail is weather from the east for folks below the M4, lightening has struck twice, we were spoilt rotten. In the future our futile chases for a flurry or 2 from a north or norwester will be fun but ultimately we'll know it won't deliver. Mind you if it gets to 2020 and we are without snow for 2 years I'll be on lamp post watch with the best of you.

All eyes next season on the stratosphere this is the best way for snow me thinks! Or we can just watch out for @karlos1983 easterly watch updates!!!

solar minimum next winter... i think

Posted
3 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Looks like the 12Z GFS is really going for it though and also bringing it forward!:

Netweather GFS Image 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Certainly looking cold and unsettled on Good Friday, according to the outer reaches of the GFS of course!:

gfs-0-234.png?12 gfs-1-234.png?12 Modele GFS - Carte prévisions Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

Edited by wiltshire weather
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Looks like the 12Z GFS is really going for it though and also bringing it forward!:

Netweather GFS Image 

Meh... we only deal in Channel lows these days. :reindeer-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

If only the mighty Hirlam went out to +240 :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
39 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

solar minimum next winter... i think

I thought it lasted the next 30 years :rofl: