Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
DiagonalRedLine

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

28.5mm of rain from that system, looks to have cleared off now. 

What to do today, that is the question ūü§Ē¬†

We are entrusting you to produce our first Spanish plume Karlos get on the case.:good:

Don't disappoint... :spiteful: 

 

Ed-Stark-Summer-is-Coming-Game-of-Thrones-meme.thumb.jpg.03ea883af9e1968797b74bcab3d6a3a0.jpg

 

 

Edited by Nights King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seem to have slept through the main band, then spent the next wave of rain in the gym. Looks like another shower incoming.9C. In other news, already done over 10,000 steps this morning :yahoo:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a grey , soggy start we now have intermittent sunny spells and the breeze is rattling the letterbox .

sweetpea seedlings growing nicely ( indoors ) along with tomato seedlings a d chilli seeds too. 

I have a new weather forecaster. She's called Misty, and she's popped outside and settled down to sleep. When she wants to be back indoors I know the rain will start again ! Lol ūüėܬ†

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Expected more rain than we had. 24mm over a 15 hour period isn't particularly much, nothing more than moderate rainfall. The smaller warning zone that was in force separately because of higher forecast rain totals actually received less rain than the other warning zone, which was forecast to have smaller totals. North Wales received the most rain, even parts of London/Home counties in to east Anglia received more rain than Dorset. In fact, more rain fell last week during a 24 hour period, and no warning was issued then. The MetO warnings are becoming more and more frivolous!

Currently 9.7¬įC and cloudy.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Guu-mDvysxY

Here's a funny video from someone in the U.S. who actually doesn't like the snow. Wish it was like that here.

Why didn't you place this in one thread in the general weather chat, instead of spamming every single regional thread?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mapantz said:

Why didn't you place this in one thread in the general weather chat, instead of spamming every single regional thread?

I don't know, just kind of went that way :unknw::).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I don't know, just kind of went that way :unknw::).

giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Expected more rain than we had. 24mm over a 15 hour period isn't particularly much, nothing more than moderate rainfall. The smaller warning zone that was in force separately because of higher forecast rain totals actually received less rain than the other warning zone, which was forecast to have smaller totals. North Wales received the most rain, even parts of London/Home counties in to east Anglia received more rain than Dorset. In fact, more rain fell last week during a 24 hour period, and no warning was issued then. The MetO warnings are becoming more and more frivolous!

Currently 9.7¬įC and cloudy.

Is it possible that the MetO are taking into account the saturated ground? Don't know the conditions where you are but many areas in our region - including mine - are bog-like. Water tables being totally full. Any extra rainfall - especially prolonged - puts areas near water courses on flood alert, if they aren't already.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

After a grey , soggy start we now have intermittent sunny spells and the breeze is rattling the letterbox .

sweetpea seedlings growing nicely ( indoors ) along with tomato seedlings a d chilli seeds too. 

I have a new weather forecaster. She's called Misty, and she's popped outside and settled down to sleep. When she wants to be back indoors I know the rain will start again ! Lol ūüėܬ†

I find the birds the best indicators that really soggy weather is imminent/on its way out.¬† They've just piped up again so hopefully that's the end of this woeful spell ūüė•

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Expected more rain than we had. 24mm over a 15 hour period isn't particularly much, nothing more than moderate rainfall. The smaller warning zone that was in force separately because of higher forecast rain totals actually received less rain than the other warning zone, which was forecast to have smaller totals. North Wales received the most rain, even parts of London/Home counties in to east Anglia received more rain than Dorset. In fact, more rain fell last week during a 24 hour period, and no warning was issued then. The MetO warnings are becoming more and more frivolous!

Currently 9.7¬įC and cloudy.

Surely the warning was there because the ground was already saturated? We only had 26mm overnight....moderate yes, but we've now got standing water in the fields, standing water on roads where it's run off the fields and flooding on lots of roads where the Thames has burst its banks. So I, personally, think they were right to have a warning out.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

Is it possible that the MetO are taking into account the saturated ground? Don't know the conditions where you are but many areas in our region - including mine - are bog-like. Water tables being totally full. Any extra rainfall - especially prolonged - puts areas near water courses on flood alert, if they aren't already.

Sorry Elly....Didn't read your post before I posted mine and I've duplicated it. We've got fairly good drainage in our soil, but it's been overwhelmed last few days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They didn't mention saturated ground in their warnings, it was simply for rain amounts. Anyway, as I said previously, more rain fell in the larger warning zone, which has lower rain totals forecast. There were even totals larger than here that weren't even in a warning zone. The Euro4 model over-did the rain intensity by a long way. Cornwall, Devon, Somerset in to South & North Wales the warning was justified, elsewhere didn't need one. There's been so many times that warnings have not been issued on wetter days, and put out for days that don't need one. I used to be such a fan of the MetO warnings, but they have become a joke now. They've gotten more and more complicated! I thought the recent update would have solved some of these complications, but it has made them worse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning Gang ,ok the rain as cleared away but this nagging wind is a real pain .I am starting to venture out in the Garden a bit now ,with a pair of shears tidying up Lavenders etc .But this wind seems to creep up YER trouser legs and down the back of your kneck ,years ago i wouldn,t have moaned but now with rheumatism etc etc (getting old ) So hopefully looking at forecasts we could suck some warmer temperatures across our region and IF the sun comes out we should all be able to get out and do some Gardening .About 12 years ago i put in some Rhubarb think it was Timperley , two plants it gave loads of rhubarb for three years then disappeared down under !!!!! year before last it grew again ,and last year kept me and neighbours supplied ,even with a crop last Autumn ,and its just now showing at least a dozen tops ,seems to do well just left in an open site .We had a flock of about a dozen long tailed tits over the winter but now down to just one pair .I have occasionally seen a KITE flying about this area ,our local Perigrins Are chasing off our Buzzards from their nesting site.our Local Jack daws are Two to nearly every chimney pot around our area ,of course nesting site and FREE warmth from the Chimneys ,but still currently all flocking together come 7pm ish .Roll on the sunny warm days ,I love the Magical snow but looking forward to some outdoor life .cheers gang ,great that we can all have a chat on this Forum .:yahoo:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nights King said:

We are entrusting you to produce our first Spanish plume Karlos get on the case.:good:

Don't disappoint... :spiteful: 

 

Ed-Stark-Summer-is-Coming-Game-of-Thrones-meme.thumb.jpg.03ea883af9e1968797b74bcab3d6a3a0.jpg

 

 

Patience....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some beefy showers fired up to the SW of Guernsey. I suspect more will develop later on, hopefully a bit further SW than that. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Some beefy showers fired up to the SW of Guernsey. I suspect more will develop later on, hopefully a bit further SW than that. :)

Tomorrow looks possible for some traditional April showers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to invent a new phrase, the Dorset Driver.

This doesn't refer to how Karlos, Mapantz and others operate their vehicles, it is a streamer of showers forming from the Dorset coast and pushing inland.

It happens frequently in moist S/SW flows year round and has begun again this afternoon.

Showers tend to intensify over the high ground around Shaftesbury before affecting the Warminster to Trowbridge area then dying out as they head further N/NE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

I am going to invent a new phrase, the Dorset Driver.

This doesn't refer to how Karlos, Mapantz and others operate their vehicles, it is a streamer of showers forming from the Dorset coast and pushing inland.

It happens frequently in moist S/SW flows year round and has begun again this afternoon.

Showers tend to intensify over the high ground around Shaftesbury before affecting the Warminster to Trowbridge area then dying out as they head further N/NE.

Andy thanks for that we can add it to the existing DD definitions, where we have:

Dorset Dome - The dome that keeps the snow away for years and years and years

Dorset Doppelganger - When snow comes from the North and doesn'tt deliver anything real

Dorset Diver - Interesting events from the North West

And now 

Dorset Driver - where showers build over the Dorset coast heading NE - NNE..

I'm sure Mapantz and Matt will add... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

I am going to invent a new phrase, the Dorset Driver.

This doesn't refer to how Karlos, Mapantz and others operate their vehicles, it is a streamer of showers forming from the Dorset coast and pushing inland.

It happens frequently in moist S/SW flows year round and has begun again this afternoon.

Showers tend to intensify over the high ground around Shaftesbury before affecting the Warminster to Trowbridge area then dying out as they head further N/NE.

We also need to invent a new phrase to dramatize the weather from warm southerly locales... after all the media now uses "beast from the east" and "pest from the west"  :rofl:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dorsetshire dingleberry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beefy shower developed from very little right over head atm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're overdue some very "sunny spless".

Courtesy, the MAD thread, page 104.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nights King said:

We also need to invent a new phrase to dramatize the weather from warm southerly locales... after all the media now uses "beast from the east" and "pest from the west"  :rofl:

 

Got that.   

THE IMPOSSIBLE 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

I think we're overdue some very "sunny spless".

Courtesy, the MAD thread, page 104.

Sunny spless is always useful and can be found in between shain rowers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó