Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

It's been the worst I can remember.

The nicest weather we've had since like October was leading up to the first Beast when we had a few days of gin blue skies but it was like -8 or something in the wind.

It's been the slowest start to spring I can recall. Usually, like clockwork almost, we get a few settled, anticyclonic 15 degree days around my birthday (March 12th) but we've had absolutely nothing here yet and all the spring growth is stunted. It's been mostly grey, wet and cold for as long as i can seemingly remember.

Agreed. It's been horrible.

We've just had a coffee outside in the Sunshine, for the first time this year. Shocker.

Hopefully the garden will kick on now. Scarified the front lawn at the weekend and got some new seed down yesterday evening, anticipating a bit of Sun today. Happy Days, or Day, at least.

Posted
Just now, jtay said:

Agreed. It's been horrible.

We've just had a coffee outside in the Sunshine, for the first time this year. Shocker.

Hopefully the garden will kick on now. Scarified the front lawn at the weekend and got some new seed down yesterday evening, anticipating a bit of Sun today. Happy Days, or Day, at least.

Yes, any sun and warmth looks fleeting.

Our garden is dead. We brought a house with a new garden last year and decided to put turf down last July. It hasn't stopped raining since and it's just a boggy mess. Going to be tearing that up and patioing the entire thing i think.

Posted
22 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Has it really been that bad? #sunshine trending on twitter. 

5B04F93F-90B2-4A8C-9EFD-32C439F1A376.thumb.png.f867ce387ce623cb23f9f96c7ce9c3eb.png

A few degrees lower than yesterday but actually feels warmerEastw in the sun. 7.9°C. 

Weekend before Easter was lovely to be fair. Had a pint out in the sun at Cardiff bay 

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Yes, any sun and warmth looks fleeting.

Our garden is dead. We brought a house with a new garden last year and decided to put turf down last July. It hasn't stopped raining since and it's just a boggy mess. Going to be tearing that up and patioing the entire thing i think.

It might be worth waiting a bit, to see how it recovers. It's surprising how resilient grass is.

If you've got close neighbours, have a look to see how theirs is doing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Lovely morning and early afternoon but hazing up now ahead of the next pest from the west. Looking forward to a completely sunny day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

It's been the worst I can remember.

The nicest weather we've had since like October was leading up to the first Beast when we had a few days of gin blue skies but it was like -8 or something in the wind.

Strange.. January saw average sunshine hours, February was a long way above average! In fact, for much of England, sunshine totals in February were higher than September '17. March was slightly below average, but not enough to offset the average throughout Winter. To be fair, we're just over two weeks in to Spring, so plenty of time for it to get sunnier and warmer.

7.3 hours of sunshine here, so far. Still sunny now. Temp 11.2°C

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Beautiful on the coast at West Bay this morning, cloudier in the middle and now hazily sunny.  Temperature currently 12.2°C.

P1030596 (800x600).jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I could have sworn that last weekend the prognosis was for a warm Thursday up to 16C in the SE. Whilst not SE perse, today max'd out @ 12.1C which seems quite some way short on expectations, now down @ 8.1C...

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

I could have sworn that last weekend the prognosis was for a warm Thursday up to 16C in the SE. Whilst not SE perse, today max'd out @ 12.1C which seems quite some way short on expectations..

Yes it was I think, but didn't work out. I like the charts of warm on the MAD thread now but I don't think they will verify.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Only reached 9.3°C here with a nagging breeze. Felt a fair bit warmer when I was further inland this afternoon so presumably the breeze mainly affected coastal areas. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
3 hours ago, matt111 said:

Only reached 9.3°C here with a nagging breeze. Felt a fair bit warmer when I was further inland this afternoon so presumably the breeze mainly affected coastal areas. 

Was a lot nicer today but still on chilly side.

Posted

11.2 °C and sunny, but very windy. Amazing how much evaporation has occurred over the last couple of days. My garden is bone dry already, and the pond water level has dropped by an inch & half.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

11.2 °C and sunny, but very windy. Amazing how much evaporation has occurred over the last couple of days. My garden is bone dry already, and the pond water level has dropped by an inch & half.

Lucky you. Fields still have plenty of standing water, but we are close to the Thames and have a high water table

Posted

Can we count this as a bit of Asperatus?

P4061186_sm.thumb.jpg.661a443421b61e1d35d9999bcfe175a0.jpgP4061187_sm.thumb.jpg.9114a52fd8d4af461e145a3b2f716d79.jpg

Floated up from the South, then fizzled away.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, jtay said:

Can we count this as a bit of Asperatus?

P4061186_sm.thumb.jpg.661a443421b61e1d35d9999bcfe175a0.jpgP4061187_sm.thumb.jpg.9114a52fd8d4af461e145a3b2f716d79.jpg

Floated up from the South, then fizzled away.

It's a very unstable sky, summer plume like to the East of a cold front. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Feels better now the winds dropped. Reached 13.0°C not long ago. 

Posted

Cracking day out there. I must admit, I didn't believe Alexis on South Today when she was talking it up last night; but I bought a couple of burgers anyway.

I thought the approaching front would be dishing up too much cloud, but she was right.

I reckon the MO, etc need a new symbol for high cloud. High cloud like this is isn't cloud in my book.

image.thumb.png.c1dd15f1b3b194544b67b9b815758adf.png

• Like 1

Posted

Managed 15°C on the nose.

16.9°C on this day, last year, and 13.3°C in 2016.

Posted
27 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Managed 15°C on the nose.

16.9°C on this day, last year, and 13.3°C in 2016.

You did better than me today as we topped out @ 14.6C, the microclimate clearly coming in to play ..

Posted

Got a full on tan today weather so unpredictable i can't quite believe how hot it was     It was only till I got outside I realised it was overcast with spots of rain 

gotta love those sun beds 

Edited by itsnowjoke