Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

5 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

Looking at the direction [anti clockwise] of the snow radar returns for the SE ... it does look as if a low is forming over the south east  [between london and the sussex coast].  

The low is over France 

Screenshot_20180317-161859.jpg

Guys i have to go to Gillingham tonight will i get home.  What time is the heavy ppn meant to arrive?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jayces said:

How can you say was hoping when the warning goes from now until tomorrow lunch time?

Look at the radar 

I'm really really tired now. I have household tasks to do but i don't think i have the energy, i'll just stay here and watch you all posting.

• Like 4

Just now, Come rain snow or shine said:

Yes. Beast Mk III

It's crazy!

I forgot to mention earlier when I went on my short quick walk.. I was talking with an elderly lady who told me cold springs were a regular occurrence back in her day.. She was born in 1943.. I got the impression she was quietly enjoying the weather though even if she was struggling to stay upright at times:rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

What does that mean? Just looking to learn :)

Look at the the met officer rader ... go back in time from then to now. You'll see the direction the snow bands/showers are movingin the SE  - which is anti clockwise, with the centre of the bands between london and the sussex coast. That centre might be a low pressure forming.

8 hours ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

Is this band of snow going straight down or to the left ?

Both. you can track it here: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1521226800&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01

2 minutes ago, wintermaster said:

Look at the radar 

The radar shows current weather, not the next 24 hours?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, paget said:

Hi John, can I ask a question? Do you know when the term Surrey Hills appeared! I hear it constantly now and have lived here for nearly 50 years and never heard it until I saw a board go up on the side of the road in Farnham a few years ago! I just wondered if you had any idea? 

i moved here 18 years ago and those wooden signs with the swirls all over them appeared a couple of years after that, I think. 

I know what you mean though... Everything is "Surrey Hills..." these days. Just easier than saying between Dorking and Guildford from my point of view!

Makes it a tourist destination I guess!

Edited by John Stevens
Adding detail

Absolutely nothing for the past two hours!:cray::80:

1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

It's crazy!

I forgot to mention earlier when I went on my short quick walk.. I was talking with an elderly lady who told me cold springs were a regular occurrence back in her day.. She was born in 1943.. I got the impression she was quietly enjoying the weather though even if she was struggling to stay upright at times:rolleyes:

Cold springs were all the rage in the 1960s, after the 62-63 winter.

• Like 1

Light flurries blowing all day waiting for thicker stuff in next couple of hours, weather station now showing -0.8 c with -3.3 c dew point.

66FB56B7-805B-4E6C-963B-4E689B18D41C.jpeg

1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

I'm really really tired now. I have household tasks to do but i don't think i have the energy, i'll just stay here and watch you all posting.

I got all of mine completed this morning.. Yes I do help out with housework.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snow Queen one said:

Guys i have to go to Gillingham tonight will i get home.  What time is the heavy ppn meant to arrive?

Looks like it could build through the late afternoon and evening. Stick to main roads, they’ve been gritted today and the traffic should keep them clear. Where are you going, Priestfeilds staidium?

1 minute ago, John Stevens said:

i moved here 18 years ago and those wooden signs with the swirls all over them appeared a couple of years after that, I think. 

I know what you mean though... Everything is "Surrey Hills..." these days. 

Thanks x

HIRLAM throws another surprise for Sunday night..

overview_030.jpg?2018031712overview_033.jpg?2018031712overview_036.jpg?2018031712

• Like 7

Just now, Jayces said:

The radar shows current weather, not the next 24 hours?

The met office radar allows you to go back but also to look at the present situation.

1 minute ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

Cold springs were all the rage in the 1960s, after the 62-63 winter.

She mentioned some years in the late 40s too.

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Absolutely nothing for the past two hours!:cray::80:

Excellent ed. - thanks for your contribution!!

Size of the snowflakes at the Stoke match ais ridiculous!

I reckon i'd need 100 of my flakes to make just 1 of theirs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, username home said:

But you said 4pm!!!!!!!

I never said 4pm, that was another member. I said later in the afternoon. I do agree with the 4pm comment though. Nobody said the whole region would be covered in snow at 4pm, we said the developments would start then, and they are.

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

It looks like there a thames streamer building which from my limited understanding is that we do very well out of it usually.

I know it is impossible to forecast snow but the met office have been toying with the idea of us getting heavy snow at some point. Granted they have been pushing it back and bringing it forward but it seems like we may get lucky.

a streamer is a good possibility. don't worry about MetO forecasts now, just watch the observations- radar, sattelite and wind direction.

Stopped snowing, naff!!

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The low is over France 

Screenshot_20180317-161859.jpg

To far west to effect here, doubt it's moving NE lol

Edited by alexisj9

Just now, D.V.R said:

She mentioned some years in the late 40s too.

OK, thanks. cold winters can clump together ... why not cold springs. i remember frozen snow flakes on the ground in the winter of 1956. i was very young.  Then came 62-63, lol!  Magnificent.

• Like 1