Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

What a strange ol day. Had 3 groupel bouncing snow falls here in Welwyn followed by strong sun which melted everything not in the shade. You could actually watch it burn through as the shadows moved with the sun.  The ice on the water for the chickens we have was solid yet as i was replacing it i could feel the heat of the sun on my neck (might have a sun tan !) and there’s little or no wind.. Looking at the radar and sat it seems Welwyn has missed some significant snow experienced in other parts of the region. Lucky them i'm itsy jealous.

Maybe as the wind changes and that low from the south moves we’ll get more - i like surprises

Stay safe out there and good luck everyone if you want snow (-;  

link to the temps and dps here: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWELWYN8

Any reports from the middle of London? According to the radar an almighty nearly blizzardous shower is crossing the capital, can imagine that's going to have a bit of an affect on the roads for the next hour or two there!

Now got my first proper snow shower and my word, it is one hell of a showewr.

A covering of snow on all surfaces within 5 minutes and still chucking it down!

It's like a Christmas card scene in South Kilburn :yahoo:

Heavy snow shower now  in North London lots of flakes blowing about in the breeze. 

It is proper blizzard conditions out there! Snow going sideways and already 1cm of snow after just 10 minutes of snow.

Scenes in Covent Garden, central London. Not often you see this in the centre of town!

31938585-F69D-486C-8996-389CB628ED64.png

90535955-E506-4DFD-AD5A-DF8D2CC1EE83.jpeg

sun coming back out in central London and if that's the case then it will all be a distant memory within the hour !

Just now, bluearmy said:

sun coming back out in central London and if that's the case then it will all be a distant memory within the hour !

Yep unfortunately!

That’s the shower we had in Chingford. Showers definitely travelling more east to west now. Hopeing for some more when the sun weakens

Edited by john mac

Absolutely jaffa cakes all here in Essex over the last days, a light dusting in the shade and thats it.:wallbash:

I think that's about it for today in our area showers have died out and the wind has gone back to East which is dry air..still can't moan had a good 3 to 4 inches..

Nothing here as well - looking at the latest radar, Cambridge is probably the furthest from any shower activity In the whole UK. Sounds about right! :D

Looks good elsewhere - plenty of beefy stuff blowing in from the NE, but nothing really coming from the Norfolk coast our way today. A bad luck day for sure.

1 hour ago, MKMartin said:

You may have gone by now but the KA would be the easier option in terms of driving.  Front wheel drive and skinny tyres perform far better in the snow than rear wheel drive and lots of bhp.  Have a safe trip whatever you have used!

In the end there was no choice my Merc wouldn't even get me off the drive just wheel locked up. The little ka however sailed off lol 

B4-12z suites run...

As a' region we look fairly well placed(as a whole) for thrs/fri event...

If we were to be greedy/selfish...as most likely would!we need to see the Lps -as of 12z make inroads and begin non northern-exection via pivot of low.

This both gains in snow amounts-widspread coverage...and holds the cold in longer....perhaps a lot longer-as we gain and continue with a decent easterly/south easterly flow...that being about30% on a 100 % scale atm....but certainly possible.

Things ramping up now!!!

gfs-0-96.png6z

gfs-0-72.png6z

Gfs.

Edited by tight isobar

Snowing heavy now...Started 5 mins ago.

10 minutes ago, slater said:

Let’s hope something does come off like this! Beast from the east so far to me is a complete farce lol! 

Changing the link to 48hr is more interesting for those on the northern bank of the Thames in this thread rather than EA haha (I hope you get as much as possible !)

Well that was nice! After having been between the showers for the past 24 hours, we finally got a covering here in Central London. Got about 2cm in 15 minutes and now the sky is blue and the sun is shining. 

25 minutes ago, geri2k said:

It's like a Christmas card scene in South Kilburn :yahoo:

unconscious drunks and people fighting outside pubs?

Croydon Borough are expecting the potential of further snow at approx 19:00 hrs tonight ❄❄

Edited by yamkin