Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

What a crap cold spell so far, the hype had us believe an eighties style record breaker was on the cards, instead we end up with a limp squib and all the rampers will look totally daft too, (:oops:john hammond), it's pretty much finished by Saturday, don't believe the hype because it usually ends up as tripe:good:

you're joking, right?

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

My instincts proved right again and it's the second time the weather has stopped me working! I was hoping to photograph a gig in London, but after knowing about the weather to come I never bothered applying for the pass.
As they have no trains running at all after 22:00 I definitely couldn't have done it, I'd have never been able to get home. Cosy night in with my nearby lamp post instead.
I once missed a gig before because of snow, I think it was the winter of 2009/10.

Me too, probably the same day, a Saturday night gig in Colchester with the legendary John Cooper-Clarke. I was in Wivenhoe station waiting room with the support act, a friend of JCC's and my former neighbour, Martin Newell.  We got a local farmer to take him to town in his Land Rover in the end. I was not tempted to venture out and went home.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

What a crap cold spell so far, the hype had us believe an eighties style record breaker was on the cards, instead we end up with a limp squib and all the rampers will look totally daft too, (:oops:john hammond), it's pretty much finished by Saturday, don't believe the hype because it usually ends up as tripe:good:

Ridiculous post. It’s day 1 of a 4/5 day cold spell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Siberian Express said:

BBC App has Sleet for my area (Shoreditch, East London) tomorrow and Wednesday!!!! Surely can't be correct?

When are apps ever correct? Useful for a rough guide, not detail. Sleet in these temps....

• Like 1

Posted

If you don't like snow, move to where I live in St. Neots.  Every single snow shower will either go around you, slightly to the north or south of you, but will never pass right over you. Have seen 3 flakes in the wind, but I think they were blown off course. ! Lol

This is not the place to be if you love snow

IMG_0620.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Cor blimey, it's not even started yet! You will get some just wait a while, in the mean time go and cuddle tiddles she is probably freezing her buttocks off poor thing! :sorry:

Posted

People keep talking of Amber warning but i don't see one till 3am Tuesday, there was one for this morning, around the EA coast and into the Estuary that has passed now, but the rest of today is all yellow warned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
10 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

my evil twin is in the house, try and ignore his posts

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Whereas this morning we only had some slight flurries at Watford hardly showing the ground, this afternoon we have had more organised showers a little heavier to the extent the whiteness is beginning to show, though the wind is blowing the snow clear in more exposed areas - temps have just dropped below freezing as I type to -0.1C but humidity increased to 75%. Now just turned to -0.2 C with 76%.

It looks like a number of further showers on the radar coming our way  and if the forecast runs true to form I would expect a respectable accumulation during the next 24 hours.

The advantage of it being below freezing is a specific amount of precipitation can lead to greater depths.

Wondering about the weekend and if snow does get firmly established, the fronts forecasted to come through to give milder weather may get delayed, or even held at bay.

Warm air can find it difficult to dislodge a settled cold air mass, though it will depend on the energy pushing it along. This happened a few times during 1963 and the cold air did not get really dislodged until March after something like about 68 ice days with just a brief interlude in January when the temp reached a balmy +4C for a short while. The end finally came by an onslaught of the Atlantic from the North West.

I've been waiting for a repeat performance of that winter ever since but sadly to no avail - usually after a promising couple of weeks or so the cold has in fact been pushed out of the way.

Now -0.3C  :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

That being said, hardly had much to write home about here. Getting the showers break up then re built thing i get in summer regarding thunderstorms, and my warnings aren't exactly show stopping either. If i see a coating i'll be lucky.

But I got the cold. oh yes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Looks like a bit more momentum is gathering out to the East.

Cloud cover returning here with a few cheeky flakes here and there, staggering around aimlessly like drunks in Chelmsford high street on a Friday night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

You need to be in both SE threads with that split personality

I personally blame the thread split for my disorder, coincidence it just happened once it changed, :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Kent County Council have issued a "Snow Emergency" according to BBC News!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
22 minutes ago, fatyido said:

If you don't like snow, move to where I live in St. Neots.  Every single snow shower will either go around you, slightly to the north or south of you, but will never pass right over you. Have seen 3 flakes in the wind, but I think they were blown off course. ! Lol

This is not the place to be if you love snow

IMG_0620.PNG

I moved there/here a few months ago and I love snow - what a mistake, worse than Billericay!!  In fairness the start of December was pretty good!!  It's just started snowing now though as I type.. little balls of ice bouncing around.  Yay. 

Edited by James1979

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
38 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

They wont make it any further south than The Old Bridge Hotel !

Hello Sparky68,

That will make the ivy sag on the outside of the building. What about Godmanchester will that be hit or escape?

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Sno' problem said:

Kent County Council have issued a "Snow Emergency" according to BBC News!

Misheard quote probably, “There’s no emergency”

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Loving these snow showers - yet I'm supposed to be working on the computer...    am just staring out the window at the big flakes falling out the sky - mesmerizing :crazy:

Seems the humidity is going up as temps drop -

Temp -1c

Dewp -3c

Humidity 83%

• Like 1