Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

The MO app has just updated Peterborough from nothing to 4 hours of heavy snow... is this possible? I wasn't expecting anything so any explanation will be appreciated!

Very shocked to see as much snow right now in Northamptonshire! Looking at the radar, the amount of precip is more than I expected and travelling a lot further east, the stupid BBC app suggests no snow all night, but looking at it this powdery stuff will continue all night maybe even get heavier!

3 minutes ago, Freeman said:

The MO app has just updated Peterborough from nothing to 4 hours of heavy snow... is this possible? I wasn't expecting anything so any explanation will be appreciated!

The snow is just further east. It's just a case of snow being very hard to forecast, even a few hours out :)

10 minutes ago, echodelta21 said:

Nick L just in the Kent thread....latest EC gives 2-5 CM across the SE by midnight! 😁

‘‘Tis true 

C8959155-68B5-4EF5-A6CE-C237A3E8DDF8.png

FFED48EC-761B-4FB1-BE78-0125043FA82F.gif

Edited by shotski

7 minutes ago, Freeman said:

App is computer generated - often wrong! Slight change in track changes everything 

Things seem to be upgrading, but still only got a few flakes blowing in the wind! 

6 minutes ago, mishy said:

The snow is just further east. It's just a case of snow being very hard to forecast, even a few hours out :)

Thank you! The snow is still very light and grainy but I guess it could get heavier?

14 minutes ago, shotski said:

‘‘Tis true 

C8959155-68B5-4EF5-A6CE-C237A3E8DDF8.png

FFED48EC-761B-4FB1-BE78-0125043FA82F.gif

Wouldn’t that set off a streamer ?  In Kent.

The intrigue!

Well even if we get nothing, at least we get another night of radar watching before we go on full slush patrol.

MetO app (yeah, I know) has now got heavy snow here for 8pm which at least is an indication of the changing outlook. 

Anyone think that eastern extent will make inroad all the way to Norfolk, or die out before?

1 minute ago, Sweetdream said:

Wouldn’t that set off a streamer ?  In Kent.

No I don’t think you’ll get any streamers in this particular set up. 

I'd be extremely surprised to see anywhere east of the M11 get anything more tbh. Just as well, I've had enough, it's bloody knackering working outside in this weather :cold:

40 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

Have you noticed how we are constantly betwen gaps of heavier snow or snow dies about before reaching here

yes and it's jaffa cakesing me off lol

2 minutes ago, shotski said:

No I don’t think you’ll get any streamers in this particular set up. 

Thanks. I was looking at the radar with it spreading further through the channel  into the SE Corner and just wondered if the winds started going NW it might have kicked  it off. 

4 minutes ago, Pirata said:

Anyone think that eastern extent will make inroad all the way to Norfolk, or die out before?

Maybe some weak grainy stuff might drift in, but anything substantial won’t make it that far. I’m a fair way west from you here in Cambridge and not expecting anything.

I  still think  it's far north then it should be if  you look at the radar and the stuff  over France it's got to turn  very quickly

Would  not  surprise me of warning  coming

1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Maybe some weak grainy stuff might drift in, but anything substantial won’t make it that far. I’m a fair way west from you here in Cambridge and not expecting anything.

I’m slightly west and north and not expecting anything. All day snizzle  not amounting to anything. I  can’t wait till things dry up and we get some warmer temp 

Doesnt look like its turning much to the north east, looks northerly too me might have 2 snow events left of this spell.

The Hirlam warms it up quite a lot in the south tomorrow. I hope we don't end up with several hours of sleet:angry:

Can we safely say that the North and North East of London has seen its last snowfall today? 

1 minute ago, tinybill said:

Would  not  surprise me of warning  coming

Also tomorrow night now looking interesting going by ECM and Hirlam. 

EA679099-96E0-4D82-943D-EE01EA160E7E.png

1 minute ago, Planet Stow said:

Can we safely say that the North and North East of London has seen its last snowfall today? 

No!