Snow?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

We are at snow mach 3 - blizzard stage! :D

1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

We are at snow mach 3 - blizzard stage! :D

How bad, as looks like it is heading my way 

Think this is going to be great for our region, the radar is looking brilliant with everything a lot further east than forecast. Some heavy returns moving up into south Essex moving northwards and Cambridge looks in the middle of a snow storm right now!

edit, haha just saw mb018538 post!

Edited by Nimbusman

Had some kind of snow falling since we got up at 6:30. Horrible walking to school, snow being blown every where, bubs has world book day and went as Belle, but she should of gone as Elisa in the new dress we got from the Christmas short. Although belle went wearing snowboots and 2 jumpers.

Light blowing snow has intensified in the last hour to moderate-heavy snow here in the North London suburbs about 6-8cm on the ground with snow now accumulating on the main roads  - bitter winds as well feeling even colder than yesterday with the cloud cover. Will be interesting to see whether we see a more organised heavier pulse of snow later on as if we do we'll be pushing Amber warning territory. 

Been snowing lightly all morning here just outside Bury St Edmund's, Suffolk. Flakes now starting to get bigger and with more intensity. 

Edited by Bobby93
  • Like 1

Can confirm that south essex is currently blizzard conditions!

• Like 1

Heavy snow and blizzard conditions for the past hour or so in Chelmsford.

• Like 1

Heavy  snow in  ipswich

• Like 2

We've been flurrying pretty much since 5:30am. Must have got a cm now. :rofl:

Morning all, still snowing albeit lightly now hope you are all white - the A41 outside obviously got a covering of snow during the night but the traffic has worn away tram lines back to tarmac. Temp -3.9C - difficult to estimate a total depth of snow in these drifting conditions.

Just now, Sky High said:

We've been flurrying pretty much since 5:30am. Must have got a cm now. :rofl:

are we going to loose the snow is everything pushing up?

16 minutes ago, On the rocks said:

How bad, as looks like it is heading my way 

Apparently pretty bad...even in Romford I've probably caught another cm or two, and the main road, even though busy, has been covered again...

Funny thing...but the radar must be a bit tetchy today.....I've been under no echoes of any note, but it was certainly coming down a few minutes ago.

That pulse just south of you looks like it'll veer NW around you, but if the band currently affecting South Essex holds together, it may have your name all over it...

1 minute ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

are we going to loose the snow is everything pushing up?

Looking at the radar I reckon it will last until midday.

Tomorrow we could be in the money and get a better covering. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

What a nice Brucie bonus this morning's snow is. The heavier area of snow over Essex is moving North. But I think the radar is having a laugh showing rain out in the North Sea - the air temp from here to France is currently between -3C and -4C.

5a97d07d6dca6_RadarThur01Mar09_50.thumb.jpg.38f3d44fdba72d201ead3d895df3ce36.jpg

Btw, I've been following Bring Back1962/63 over on the SW Regional - his posts are very informative including the wider picture of developments. Worth a look. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89403-south-west-and-central-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-22022018-onwards/?do=findComment&comment=3806171

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sky High said:

Looking at the radar I reckon it will last until midday.

Tomorrow we could be in the money and get a better covering. Fingers crossed.

theres nothing behind this last band though?

tomorrow certainly is of interest given the latest GFS and Icon for southern parts of the region

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

theres nothing behind this last band though?

More bands will swing up from the south later today and into tomorrow. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blazerblue said:

After a couple of hours respite, there seems to be more incoming. And the bin men didn’t make it down my road today, mind you neither did many cars :rofl:

Absolutely bitter here ths morning, just turned the heating up a notch and put some oxo broth on for later with light dumplings.Look forward to a steaming bowl of that! Currently very fine flakes lightly falling but the sky still looks laden, I think we must have had a slight top-up overnight as areas which were slightly melted were white again this morning. It'll be another day housebound for me, too dangerous on the slippery pavements with my balance problems, but nice to look at it from the window.Glad I am always stocked up with a couple of weeks worth of tins of soup, oxos, tinned vegetables, toilet rolls, tea, coffee, longlife milk, sachets of prridge, birdseed, all i need until the streets clear again.And the ham and chicken the seagull eats has a best before date a few days away so if i can i'll get him more fresh food then if the snow has gone, if not he will have to eat cat food and tinned sardines and cheddar for a few days, not his favourite but he won't starve.

• Like 1

If you zoom right out on the radar you can already see the PPN off the NW of France. That looks angry; can see why the red warnings are out for the SW - will be interesting to watch it develop.

10 minutes ago, sgrech said:

Heavy snow and blizzard conditions for the past hour or so in Chelmsford.

Not sure what you are getting but if it anything like I am experiencing it is a long way off what I would call a blizzard. Certainly experienced far far worse.