Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

 

Missed out on London town. ;)

I was trying my best to be unbiased! :D

But the ppn moving up from France seems to have added some intensity to the ppn over London and the Home Counties, where is the convergence zone for this? That could really get hit hard if the energy from the North Sea peps it up.

Edited by Sno' problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

I was trying my best to be unbiased! :D

But the ppn moving up from France seems to have added some intensity to the ppn over London and the Home Counties, where is the convergence zone for this? That could really get hit hard if the energy from the North Sea peps it up.

Yep more moisture coming up it’s got heavier here! 3/10 from tonight we must have seen a wee top up. :) 

Edited by Daniel*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will get a tad more than a wee top-up.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

I think we will get a tad more than a wee top-up.  :D

Yep I’m talking about current mess over us I won’t be forgetting this in a hurry. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting Very Windy out there we won't get a level top up with Blizzards but can imagine drifting but is that possible in London suburbs and central london could that be possible? 

Edited by Swave Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Yep I’m talking about current mess over us I won’t be forgetting this in a hurry. :D 

It has been an excellent show so far here. Places that have remained in the shade have at least 6-7" (15-18cm) of level snow, which is more than I have seen for years here!

Meanwhile, the band of ppn moving up from France is beginning to spark ppn in some parts of West Sussex and the Kent/Surrey/East Sussex area, which is enhancing the light ppn that has been lingering over the London area.

It now means I have to now stay up for a few more runs to see how it evolves! :D 

19 minutes ago, Swave Snow said:

Getting Very Windy out there we won't get a level top up with Blizzards but can imagine drifting but is that possible in London suburbs and central london could that be possible? 

I already have had some minor drifting here, but where I live is prone to that with an Easterly because I have tall houses to my North so the wind funnels through.

EDIT: @Swave Snow it really has got windy in the past few mins. The ppn from France is making headway fast.

Edited by Sno' problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

It has been an excellent show so far here. Places that have remained in the shade have at least 6-7" (15-18cm) of level snow, which is more than I have seen for years here!

Meanwhile, the band of ppn moving up from France is beginning to spark ppn in some parts of West Sussex and the Kent/Surrey/East Sussex area, which is enhancing the light ppn that has been lingering over the London area.

It now means I have to now stay up for a few more runs to see how it evolves! :D 

I already have had some minor drifting here, but where I live is prone to that with an Easterly because I have tall houses to my North so the wind funnels through.

EDIT: @Swave Snow it really has got windy in the past few mins. The ppn from France is making headway fast.

Is this already different to what the BBC are showing as they imply that the blizzards will be in Wales and the West 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Swave Snow said:

Is this already different to what the BBC are showing as they imply that the blizzards will be in Wales and the West 

It all depends on the track of the low pressure (Storm Emma). If it moves slightly more Eastwards, the SE'ly shouldl invigorate the convection in the North Sea and then enhance the ppn over the SE. It is a case of nowcasting, but compared to the 18z GFS, the ppn has arrived faster and has a more Easterly aspect to it than forecast. It is impossible to nail down, but I do think that the MetOffice will extend their Amber warning very slightly East soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for the explanation. Does the sattelite show Emma on track or is too difficult to ascertain with the sattelite loop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

The storm itself is still out in the Atlantic, but the first of the spiralling fronts are just beginning to hit the South coast of England.

Latest radar shows some fairly strong radar echoes in the ppn heading into the SE:

 

Screen Shot .png

EDIT: That ppn is continuing to build fast. None of the forecast models had any moderate ppn reaching the SE during this timeframe did they?

Edited by Sno' problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stormmanic said:

Just got up to go to work. Not happening! :rofl:

Screenshot_20180301-032949.png

Aren't you going to help dig out the snowplough driver?!?! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

I checked and it looks to me as if tiffthe two low pressures are almost side by side and it looks like they are quite a lot further east than the BBC shows this is potentially  confirmed by the precipitation if it pushes up into the South east as as pointed out it was supposed to stall over the south. To be fair to the BBC they say that the Channel islands will get the heavy snow 1st then spread into the South West and Wales. Are we waiting up to see if this front being pushed up by that system in front of Emma stalls now? Or as the sattelite shows the cloud associated with the front is already into the South east and the precipitation is across the south coast so may be it actually has moved to our advantage maybe I'm dreamcasting lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually to be fair the Channel islands look like they are getting the snow now instead of 3pm today so that is a real difference to the BBC forecast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This band of ppn moving up is an unexpected bonus by all accounts. I have been going through different models and none of them seem to have anywhere near the amount of ppn that is currently showing on the radar. It will probably start spreading as it gets closer to our region, but there is a convergence zone where it will hit the Easterly wind currently over us and that is where it could get interesting.

I am still waiting to see if the MetOffice upgrade their warnings... If not, then I am mistaken, but the radar shows a very different scene to any of the forecast models.

EDIT: That's enough for me, it's been a ridiculously long day. I reckon there will be another few forum members who will wake up surprised in the morning. Night all

Edited by Sno' problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a go kart by comparison. Am not going anywhere!

BBC website now saying an amber warning for London and South east although met office hasn't updated. Do you think they are assuming met office will issue warning soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stormmanic said:

I have a go kart by comparison. Am not going anywhere!

BBC website now saying an amber warning for London and South east although met office hasn't updated. Do you think they are assuming met office will issue warning soon?

Where are you seeing the amber warning? I still have Yellow for over London

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you click into the main news article it says on there. They updated in the last hour or so. I wondered if they were jumping the gun expecting met office to update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stormmanic said:

If you click into the main news article it says on there. They updated in the last hour or so. I wondered if they were jumping the gun expecting met office to update.

'A further amber warning for snow and ice will be in place for London and the south east, south-west England, Wales and the West Midlands from midday until 08:00 on Friday'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light snow here to start the day, nothing of any significance overnight though with the sepths the same as when I went to bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think if the radar not wrong we got blizzards inbound from france:cold:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well this looks interesting for this morning . . . this hasn't been forecast previousy

snew.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

well this looks interesting for this morning . . . this hasn't been forecast previousy

snew.JPG

yes have  the bbc  messed up again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all i can  say it could be very interesting  to day

Edited by tinybill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...