Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

only a dusting here today in Essex not had much at all from this blob of snow. Hopefully a different story tomorrow morning. 

2 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

Sorry northerly extent appears to be south Norfolk according to the radar.

When you look at radar you would think we have been hammered, not the case, over half way through and a slight covering here 

Moderate to heavy snow at the moment, definitely the best covering of the cold spell so far!

After short, sharp snow showers all day the afternoon ended with glorious sunshine to walk my daughter's dog.  Temp fell to -7 just after dark but has risen to -5.7 and it's snowing again now.  Only 5cms lying, I'm surprised it isn't deeper after so much seemed to have fallen.

I was watching it from the window this afternoon with a little lad of about 7 who is hoping for a snow day tomorrow.  He observed that these snowflakes were coming down, thickly, then suddenly going sideways, and flying back up a "really long way" before spinning round and round and eventually landing.  He said his sledge is red, but it's not one of the really good red ones!

I was 7 in 1963, we didn't have snow days.  What a joy it was to see that child's awe at the first real snow of his lifetime. 

2 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

I live in the Meriden estate and we have a few cms here, the roads are totally covered as gritters do not come down my street. 

The slating of the roads is only effective down to a particular temperature - can't remember what it is now but I do recall in my youth walking over salt pavements where the gri/salt just has not had any effect. 

For the others who have not, or rarely seen dry powder snow blowing in the wind, one of the advantages of having been in 1942. I recall my step-father driving the family car over the Lincolnshire Wolds from the Midlands. 

The snow did not start until we got to Lincoln, then it started down in flakes the size of half crowns. As we got to the other side the snow was piled at the sides of the roads to a height of about 6 feet in places, obviously as a result of the snow plough going through. Also the snow was being blown in the wind to the extent that the vis was only about a hundred metres at times.

A few miles further on the road was well and truly blocked and we could not make any further progress.

We had to abandon the car and sought refuge in a farm labourers cottage to be joined by others in a similar plight. We were stuck there for three days before we could get out getting a lift in a break down lorry and had to leave the car because the cylinder block had frozen and buggered it.

The country side was littered with downed cables and some of the telegraph poles had been snapped like match stalks.

By that were a brama of a storm, yer tell 'm now and they won't believe yer.  :yahoo:

Sadly two or three days after we got back home it started melting. :angry:

There have been a number of memorable blizzards since and by that I mean proper blizzards, though not every year. 

Just had a 10 minute walk out there, well wrapped up. That biting wind is unreal and although I felt ok outside as I was walking, I felt shivvery for a good 10 minutes after I came in, never felt anything like it. Only about 2cms here and light flakes put I can see the individual flakes with the naked eye.

Just looked at the warnings for tomorrow and we appear to be under two separate snow warnings at the same time!

Just run the radar sequence and watched the snow north and south of Norfolk converge once it exited the county :rofl:

Home after chaos on the rails again.....train failures and points problems aplenty today.

If the HIRLAM grabs are correct, the worst is yet to come....you'd think that some warnings would be extended already though, given that it already visible in the Channel....

5 minutes ago, echodelta21 said:

Home after chaos on the rails again.....train failures and points problems aplenty today.

If the HIRLAM grabs are correct, the worst is yet to come....you'd think that some warnings would be extended already though, given that it already visible in the Channel....

I think you mean the best is maybe yet to come:yahoo:

Edited by Bricriu

Just now, Bricriu said:

:yahoo:

Edited by Bricriu
double post.

2 minutes ago, echodelta21 said:

Been watching this since 6pm, I'd say the Meto are wrong based on the radar and HIRLAM. Headless chickens springs to mind. :D 

1 minute ago, Bricriu said:

I think you mean the best is yet to come:yahoo:

Depends...if it dumps over 8 inches, then it's the best....

Anything less, and I have to try and drive a sledge on metal rails that weighs anything between 157 tons and 475 tons....and that wasn't fun today :rofl:

But yes.....the snow loving child in me hopes we get absolutely ruined by what's coming....:D

Snow still falling here and looks like it will for a little while yet based on the radar. Tonight's been a real surprise! 

Wonder if we'll have a few more surprises in the next couple of days?! 

Couple of pics from opposite ends of my line...Fenchurch St this evening.

20180228_212022.jpg

40 minutes ago, saint said:

Snow still falling here and looks like it will for a little while yet based on the radar. Tonight's been a real surprise! 

Wonder if we'll have a few more surprises in the next couple of days?! 

I think the next "surprise" is just appearing in Northern France on the latest NW radar: 

Screen Shot Radar.png

17 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

I think the next "surprise" is just appearing in Northern France on the latest NW radar: 

Screen Shot Radar.png

:D 

This has sneaked up!

8F606044-FA28-42E3-AC91-B77B88FB73ED.thumb.png.89a8eebdfd5e37e4728ed3590a91b211.png

still snowing, but not really adding to the inch or so

So far, by the way the ppn has travelled so far, it seems to have taken a more Eastward track than forecast at this point, even by Hirlam, so I wouldn't be surprised if the MetOffice move their Amber warning for tomorrow slightly further East to include parts of East Sussex and Surrey, maybe Kent too. Worth keeping a close eye on.

Edited by Sno' problem

14 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

So far, by the way the ppn has travelled so far, it seems to have taken a more Eastward track than forecast at this point, even by Hirlam, so I wouldn't be surprised if the MetOffice move their Amber warning for tomorrow slightly further East to include parts of East Sussex and Surrey, maybe Kent too. Worth keeping a close eye on.

Missed out on London town. ;)

Edited by Daniel*