Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Signing off with some moderate snow now here in RP.

-1.4C

20180302_171533.thumb.jpg.c023efbc0e9c2c37d741410534ea0783.jpg20180302_165154.thumb.jpg.7c2a1d64444bb4dad2b493b6062289f6.jpg

Nice little bonus session of sledging 

Ramsgate

1 minute ago, seb said:

What an amazing week of near record cold, lots of snow, my first freezing rain event in the UK ever plus lots of great banter, knowledge and a mix of weather enthusiasts and people just wanting to find out where it's going to snow in this place. See you for hopefully some amazing storms in the summer or maybe record heat... or maybe before then :)

How I’m so looking forward to summer heat

Great times on this thread over the week many ups and downs, Now we are reaching our final destination the ‘Thaw’ I am hoping sooner rather than later tbh as I got a important football fixture to attend tomorrow in derby. Comeon Fulham 👌

5 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

Looking at the models and trends, plus SSW, I’m fairly confident of more snow later in the month, although nothing like this spell of weather. 

Yep, it's all on the table, starting in a few days.

Yep was a good spell of wintry weather

Would place it about 5th in notable spells of the last 45 years (My Age)

But its got to be up there with the best for how late in the season it was. To have subzero temps for 4 days running (Even now it is still -1c) is something else

The sea has frozen over 4 times in those 45 years in 1987, 1991 and 2010 which again goes to show what a notable spell this was.

The freezing rain episode is only the 2nd in 45 years as well following 2010 with that as well.

The only downside was the lack of Thundersnow and strong convection from streamers but overall if added up over the 4 snow episodes would say around 30cm (1 foot) but max depth was achieved on Wednesday morning with 17cm. Tuesday had 7cm, Thursday had 2cm and today another 4cm.

See you all next year because I hope the models have the snow risk wrong for late next weekend and Spring can finally be sprung

5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yep was a good spell of wintry weather

Would place it about 5th in notable spells of the last 45 years (My Age)

But its got to be up there with the best for how late in the season it was. To have subzero temps for 4 days running (Even now it is still -1c) is something else

The sea has frozen over 4 times in those 45 years in 1987, 1991 and 2010 which again goes to show what a notable spell this was.

The freezing rain episode is only the 2nd in 45 years as well following 2010 with that as well.

The only downside was the lack of Thundersnow and strong convection from streamers but overall if added up over the 4 snow episodes would say around 30cm (1 foot) but max depth was achieved on Wednesday morning with 17cm. Tuesday had 7cm, Thursday had 2cm and today another 4cm.

See you all next year because I hope the models have the snow risk wrong for late next weekend and Spring can finally be sprung

I remember 1956 ... as a young child, looking at a very frosty pavement with snowflakes frozen to it, and being amazed at white stuff that began to fall.  I was hooked.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
typo

I have just checked the radar and its still coming lol. Agree @Paul Sherman now time for sprind warmth and a smile on commuters faces. Hot sunny day sultry in the evening with a beer. But i like the comment of we are closer to the next round

Road gone.. 

DSC_0770.thumb.JPG.bc92b18080867fe045489420e533d42a.JPG

Well the snow has started again in central lots of small flakes

Moving this great spell of weather a side !! I hope we have a summer we all talk about for years!! 

1 minute ago, Jimmyh said:

I have just checked the radar and its still coming lol. Agree @Paul Sherman now time for sprind warmth and a smile on commuters faces. Hot sunny day sultry in the evening with a beer. But i like the comment of we are closer to the next round

Yh that Kent band is making inroads for Central London, your Beast is not done yet but drying up in the Estuary. :)

Not a bad final total, approximately 5 inches 😊

39E5255E-1E22-4723-A7B4-830B1B21CB49.jpeg

IMG_4337.thumb.JPG.51ee3324b848eaa274c5db402cf3fd62.JPGI GUESS NOW ITS TIME FOR ME TO SAY GOODBYE...................

got a picture of you beside me

And your snowflake marks still on my roof top..........,.,.,...

Got a head of filled dreams ......,.

Got to leave got to leave it all behind now............

what ever I dreamt what ever I saw I really enjoyed it ........,......

just want you back i want you back next winter for good..,..,..

I GUESS NOW iIT IS TIME TO SAY GOODBYE

BYE BEASTIE

BYE GFS ECM 12z and GEM

BYE SSW.......make sure you play the game next winter. 

A big thank you to all of you in this forum it was a pleasure to see all the lovely posts.  Without your input it would not have been the same.

if any of you do come to my area Walthamstow let me know. 

Love you all 😊😊😊😊😊😘

❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️

End of another chapter

I GUESS NOW IT IS TIME TO SAY BYE xxx

Light fading here, I expect this snow to keep well into tomorrow. Spare a thought for those hard-pressed Local Authority Highways Emergency Teams (gritters), many of whom will have been on 72 - 96hr shifts by Saturday. I hope they're in line for some huge bonuses :friends:

Having the heaviest snow of today in Maidstone. 15 mins of this and it'll be twice as much as already fallen with that fine stuff. The last hurrah? Just getting dark so won't be able to see it soon with no street lights.

Well, if this turns out to be our last snow of the season, then overall I have to say it’s been a good winter. After 4 long suffering years of absolute crap (2013/14 to 2016/17), winter 2017/18 has brought us our coldest spell of weather since 2010, or possibly even 1991 in terms of depth of cold, if not longevity. We’ve seen several ice days, bitterly cold weather, lots of dry, powdery snow, snow lying in central London (rare!) and no marginality whatsoever. This one will be remembered for a long time. The only downside is that it hasn’t lasted longer than 5 days which is a shame, but a great 5 days it has been. 

Added to that, some of us also had a good snowfall on 10th December (3 inches of snow here in north London). That day alone was more snow than the previous 4 winters combined. 

So 2017/18 winter won’t go into the record books as whole, but it’s delivered the goods for many of us at last.

Snow has now stopped, but for me it was the best snow of the period. The snow wasn’t as powdery dry, plus with good cloud cover, there wasn’t any sunshine melting the snow that had fallen, plus there was very little wind. 

Just went out for a walk before it all goes, still chuffing cold, cheers all for an entertaining week and all the expert knowledge given freely.

Now what's this about snow next week?

IMG_20180302_171734.jpg

IMG_20180302_173844.jpg

One last thing from me ! A big thanks to Steve murr... we’re so luck having him in are thread with his great knowledge!!!! Cheers mate ❤️❤️❤️

Agree with that danm

This winter has had snow in December, January, February and March which is rare for SE Essex

December 10th and between Xmas and New Year delivered, also some dustings in January.

Took myself for a final long walk in the snow. Really love walks when the snow is coming down. Now sat watching it before it stops.

i don’t feel like it’s heavier than yesterday but with the wind dropped it settles so well. I’ve decided I’m now against strong winds and snow :) 

For those of us that still have snow falling, really make the most of it. Get off those radars and phones and look outside. We all know painfully well that we can’t ever tell how long it’ll be until we get this again 

enjoy 

A fresh dusting in central although the flakes are little there are alot of them

A final picture. It was great here in the Downs behind Chartham, Canterbury. Best since probably 2010

20180228_125244.jpg