Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

13 hours ago, pureasthedriven said:

Tomorrow morning looking like last hurrah for my region (Gatwick) and then that’s seemingly game over for this spell. Hoping the snow can stay grounded long enough in favoured areas for me locally to get the kids onto the sledges Saturday before we put them away until 2023 😂

Had I not been ‘fortunate’ enough to be a working nomad this week, I’d have seen pretty much sweet FA in terms of snowfall. Cold and bits of powder snow have been impressive however, a real throwback. Cracking drive out to Balcombe on Tuesday and a brilliant two hours at London Bridge yesterday, that memory will endure as that was hen’s-teeth rare in the heart of the capital.

Topographically in an unfavouraed spot in Horley but seeing a colliding front come up from the channel and then all the decent precipitation bugger off yet again to Kent and Essex (not all of Kent and Essex, I know), as well as bunny hopping over the north Downs to places like Thorpe, has been hard to stomach last night and this morning. 

What has been an almost reassuring relief for me this week is to see that in the age of (albeit debated) climate change and AGW, Britain can still ‘do it’ when it comes to unusual and deep cold. If the synoptics are favourable, the cold is there.

So, that’s me done with regard to winter posts unless tomorrow early doors springs a local surprise (experience tells me no and that favoured locations for this spell will remain favoured). Adore the snow but if ain’t going to really snow I’ll be turning my less-avid attention to the first long-fetch southerly of the spring and that first amazing day of the year - as good as any snow day - when the thermometer teases 20c in a sheltered garden with the sun on my face.

Sadly, that looks a way off and more of that vile cold rain (see below) looks to be a feature for the reasonably foreseeable. 

As winter’s go, I’ll mark this down in my locale as the epic winter of cold rain (7 unbelievably close and absolutely hideous near misses) and the year that winter rediscovered its growl in the UK, which gives me renewed hope for when this all kicks off again in eight months time!

Great forum, this. Thanks for your company.

Toodles. 

Re-posting this from earlier given the nature of chit chat on here this evening.  

Its still snowing in Croydon but there's no ppn over me on the radar.. Must be stealth snow 

2 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Its still snowing in Croydon but there's no ppn over me on the radar.. Must be stealth snow 

Developed in Area 51? :D

10 minutes ago, DanBaynes said:

I have to admit if the snow was of a wetter kind i think it would have been mayhem, the fact the snow has been so dry has help 

Just to add, I've been out driving this evening, just different places locally probably a 10 mile radius from home, with varying amounts of snow in such a small area, really shows how localised the amount of snow you get is

Funny, I've had that experience this evening too. First driving from London down to Sussex, but then later in the local area. Our lanes are sheet snow and ice and everything is still thickly covered in snow, then I went into Tunbridge Wells and things were miuch clearer. Thinner layer of snow, lots of clear surfaces. And only 10 mins away. Notably much less in Tonbridge as well. I believe the same is also true 10 miles South East of us.

9 minutes ago, snowray said:

Thats true, lovely crisp snow, I will miss it. Think tomorrows lot will be wet snow and everything will then turn slushy of course.

I'm thinking the same, I'm not at work tomorrow, so Iet the cold spell go out with a bang cause havoc. Ha ha

1 minute ago, saint said:

Developed in Area 51? :D

Designed to keep me on my toes lol.. I don't mind it actually - I won't know it's there so I don't have to keep getting up  to watch it.. 

A second area of precip is developing over Eastern Channel, I wonder if this will have more luck pushing north. Light snow most of the evening here, left a sugar coating briefly. 
Pretty impressed with this cold spell - 3 separate periods of snow, 7 inches max depth and a low of -12c is pretty impressive for here. 

24 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Funny, I've had that experience this evening too. First driving from London down to Sussex, but then later in the local area. Our lanes are sheet snow and ice and everything is still thickly covered in snow, then I went into Tunbridge Wells and things were miuch clearer. Thinner layer of snow, lots of clear surfaces. And only 10 mins away. Notably much less in Tonbridge as well. I believe the same is also true 10 miles South East of us.

Yes, I saw an sat imagine posted eariler, where from sandwich to dover was green a few miles nw and west was white. Canterbury and areas sw of here did very well from the streamer that set up eariler in the week. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying this has been a memorable winter at all, to be honest, it's been horrible, cold but not cold enough for snow, grey, miserable, and what feels like a very long winter. In my previous posts I'm just talking about this Cold snap. 

Mother nature has shown us it's Still capable enough to bring deep cold to the uk, and just enough of a taste to keep the fires burning inside for a repeat of historic winter from the past, to keep me coming back searching (I must be mental)

Anyway who said it's finished with us just yet, 

20180227_222001.jpg

Edited by DanBaynes

12 minutes ago, DanBaynes said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying this has been a memorable winter at all, to be honest, it's been horrible, cold but not cold enough for snow, grey, miserable, and what feels like a very long winter. In my previous posts I'm just talking about this Cold snap. 

Oh agreed. Quite a few recent winters have seemed to be particularly miserable, to me at least. Got to be a cracker coming up some time soon...

5 minutes ago, James Maidstone said:

Freezing rain currently here in Maidstone.  V windy and minus 1.  streamer developing amd buildling along and just south of M20.

I'm going to be heading up the M20 to Maidstone shortly. Certainly not looking forward to the journey this morning due to the wind, it woke me up before my alarm went off this morning

Buon giorno  a tutti,

Another early morning rise, for perhaps the final chapter, in the saga of this superb, current wintry spell.

Although, I'll be up at 5.15 with Colette, both tomorrow and Sunday, as my poor wife has to leave at 6.30 for work, on both days.

Hope my little, Princess Hayley ( all of 34 years old ), managed to arrive back home safely, in Chislehurst, after witnessing another crushing defeat, for her beloved Arsenal, at the hands of the brilliant, Man. City, last night. No matter how old they are, they're still your babies, aren't they!!:air_kiss: I can hardly bare to ask her later, how it went? :nonono:

Just off to trawl through all your reports and look at some of the radar grabs, since 10.30, last night, to see if we managed to receive, a little more, of the white stuff. Too dark to tell.Oh, the tension.!!  Still blowing a hooley, out there!

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

Edited by TomSE12

Morning all

Sounds like freezing rain hitting the windows facing North, that wind also sound fierce, will inspect soon once I can bring myself to get out from under the duvet :hi:

Current radar suggests the we need to see precipitation move up from NE France but seems to struggle over the Channel, most is moving past the far West of the Region currently. 

Screenshot_2018-03-02-05-16-15_kindlephoto-72677231.png

Edited by Kent Blizzard

it could be our turn  to day if the gfs is right  do i tell the boss her indoors  to work from  or come home at dinner and bring her  lap top home to work from home!:shok:eek

gfs-2-18.png

2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

lashing it down with freezing rain

What do you think the chances of it turning to Snow Steve?

Freezing rain falling here in Wandsworth (inner SW London), though showing as snow on radar - temp still @-1C.

In answer to someone above mentioning snow falling but not showing on the radar, it can take surprisingly long for very small snowflakes to fall from radar height to ground level - for the same reason the radar often shows snowfall overhead, but nothing's happening on the ground.

i  know its deep into fantasy work  this  is not part 2 

gfs-2-384.png

1 minute ago, tinybill said:

i  know its deep into fantasy work  this  is not part 2 

gfs-2-384.png

Clutching.

Well doesn't seem, we had any more snow overnight.

Not liking the reports of freezing rain now, though. Looking at the Meteociel site, we have reports of "neige", from Southend and Heathrow but unfortunately , "pluie" from London City airport.:angry: Dew points, still ok though.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temps-reel.php

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php

Regards,

Tom.

Looks like all 00z runs, want to mix out our bitterly cold 850s now, hence the reports, of freezing rain!!:diablo:

Definite push of milder air now, courtesy of the dreaded, west based, neg. NAO.:wallbash:

Regards,

Tom.

I'm ready for spring now in all honesty. The last week has been amazing, but the cold is becoming a bit too much now. 20c and sunny in two weeks please weather God's, that's my order!

Little bits of freezing rain a while ago against the window (sounded like tiny shards of ice hitting).  The MetO has us under snow from 8am-11pm. Surely not right?

(Sittingbourne)

Would advise members, to take extra care, when driving today, should imagine the roads are lethal, at the moment, with all the talk of freezing rain. 

It's certainly put the kibosh, on me venturing out today, due to my compromised balance after my CVA ( Well that's what my GP, referred to it as ). Hope Knocker, doesn't read our thread, as I'd get a rollicking, for using yet another acronym!!

It was either, Knocker or John Holmes, who don't like acronyms, can't quite remember??  :cc_confused:   Sorry, if it wasn't either of you.!!

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE12