Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Icy pellets, that what it sounds like on the windows, in Littlehampton. Gusty winds too.

Edited by WestSussexSnow

1 minute ago, nicktabs said:

Have you got any?

No, it’s been very fine snow all day so we have a few cm which is much better than the rest of the week! It seems like very wet fine snow/drizzle now, I was really expecting to be in the orange zone!! 

8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Actually wrong. Brighton has been briefed to expect 5-10cm its painfully slow but it is on the move.

well two things there, brighton is in east sussex and the empire has failed to destroy the hoth deflector shield protecting horsham.

atat.thumb.jpg.2e4cecc6d9b39d6e5319fd3747b9ebad.jpg 

Just now, Nick F said:

Seen reports of freezing rain in Bournemouth, which causing glazing on all surface, which will make it lethal, seems that temps further east are holding low enough even near the coast for mostly snow.

However, heavier snow seems to be struggling to get too far inland atm, perhaps abuse the surface is so dry further east, thanks to proximity of dry feed with low DPs on near continent, that heavier snow with higher water content is perhaps evaporating and not reaching the ground, but small flakes are. Certainly make explain heavier stuff struggling to get inland for now.

It is on move it may not seem like it it’s painfully slow but then again you’ll see more...

1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

Tonight has reminded me very much of a summer plume situation where we watch fantastic thunderstorms cross the channel from France but only to lose intensity off the south coast. I guess it can happen in winter too lol!

we had a good few of those last summer. very good to watch but always late at night

1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

well two things there, brighton is in east sussex and the empire has failed to destroy the hoth deflector shield protecting horsham.

Have you seen radar? If there’s no hiccups you’ll be seeing a good covering.

4FC58C23-BDE6-4731-AEAC-4C14A442D1D6.thumb.png.036f7ab2a1754403ee79ed6ecb5401b8.png

No clue what to expect tomorrow......looks beautiful tonight though :)

can hear what i assume is icy rain in worthing.

Hello folks! Thought i'd put my head around the door?! I hope you all get snow rather than the freezing rain that's occurring here. I love all forms of extreme weather, but this  is the pits! Everything is completely coated! Fortunately, the snow remains on the ground, but it is now like concrete. Stay safe!

It's certainly broken down in the channel, but pepping up on the French coast. Is there also some new action developing in the Thames estuary

1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Hello folks! Thought i'd put my head around the door?! I hope you all get snow rather than the freezing rain that's occurring here. I love all forms of extreme weather, but this  is the pits! Everything is completely coated! Fortunately, the snow remains on the ground, but it is now like concrete. Stay safe!

Can u take a pic of it so I can see it please 

Things look a bit dodgy for the south east at the moment, but I’ve just spent ages looking at model output, checking radar loops and general getting my nerd on, and do believe the precipitation currently hugging the south coast will soon head inland and pep up a little before continuing its journey north west.

9 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

yup, Brighton is on the coast so it may well get the snow but the showers are failing to travel inland and are breaking up, its game over for tonight

Hi there first time poster. In medway been following for a few years. Its been a miserable day. Have been following with interest about my own area. But today has confused the hell out of me with where when and how much snow is due in the final furlong. Don't pretend to understand all the data but get the gist. I found the Dutch radar which if I understand it pretty well has my part of Kent chucking it down with snow all day tomorrow. Is the Dutch radar a good indicator.... Just trying to plan my working day.  Thanks David

It is certainly windier here in the Surrey Hills than it has been all week

8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Have you seen radar? If there’s no hiccups you’ll be seeing a good covering.

4FC58C23-BDE6-4731-AEAC-4C14A442D1D6.thumb.png.036f7ab2a1754403ee79ed6ecb5401b8.png

have i seen it? i've been watching it for hours. its like watching england play football!

Worth mentioning too that the latest BBC forecast has heavy snow tomorrow across much of this area

7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Actually wrong. Brighton has been briefed to expect 5-10cm its painfully slow but it is on the move.

I'd be amazed Daniel. Who's briefed that?  My in-laws have lived there for decades, I've been going there for slightly fewer decades but still lots of decades and I've never seen more than about 2cm on the coast (even that is staggeringly rare) maybe 5cm a mile or so inland in exceptional circumstances, more of course up on the South Downs.  So much unrealistic expectation on here, we are 110m above sea level here in Reigate town and there's about 2 cm max, of lying snow a tiny dusty top up tonight, despite low temperatures well below freezing.   In daylight I can see up to the top of the north downs at 230m and there isn't that much snow.  Clearly some parts have had lots but its unlikely in the extreme that Brighton will get as much snow as you suggest 

12 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

👏🏻

1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

have i seen it? i've been watching it for hours. its like watching england play football!

It so is!

Met Office Amber updated again, we’re now out.....

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Widespread snow is expected to develop through Thursday afternoon and evening, accompanied by strong easterly winds, leading to drifting of lying snow in places. Around 10-20 cm is likely to fall quite widely, with the potential for up to 50 cm over parts of Dartmoor and Exmoor. As less cold air follows from the south, there is a chance of snow turning to freezing rain in places, with widespread icy stretched forming making driving conditions dangerous. The warning has been updated to reflect the growing confidence of a severe spell of weather and to remove parts of North Wales and Southeast England.

Watching Winterwatch 1963 - The Big Freeze on BBC4 black and white footage of the notorious 62/63 winter, amazing how much disruption and suffering it caused, even back then, so many places cut off by drifting snow and running short of food, SW was worse hit back then, but then there were blizzards following blizzards, not just one

Yawn, very heavy sizzle stuff just got into Eastbourne. It's leaving a bit of a white covering  but you can clearly see how warmer upper temps have now got. It's not far off sleet 👎