Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Well,looks to be it in a bit,nothing building in the channel,disappointed if im honest,was hoping for some heavier stuff and it lasting longer,still great to see falling snow,still got a bit on the ground,hopefully get 1 decent event before it warms up a touch

Very light snow in Reigate, wind still strong so blowing it around - not looking forward to the walk to work

Farnham, Surrey 

Very very fine snow now i said 2 cm but my husband says I'm exaggerating! Funny that!! 😉

Carol just said very patchy snow in SE with maybe a cm or so for Kent but further accumulations the further WEst you go so Surrey and Hampshire look to be in sweet spot.Looks like HIRLAM is a bust according to BBC?. Very confusing but i suppose after what happened yesterday it was a fluid situation and maybe expect the unexpected?Nothing ever simple when snow is forecast is it!!

Caught the train to London...may have been an error. But a good 3-5cm in places on the walk in and light snow at ascot. Hoping today people stay safe. Not sure how much to expect here yet. 5-10cm seems about the mark

Heavier snow now, gone dark

Is this lot likely to get to us (The bit off the SW coast) ??

sorry for my rubbish meteorological terms!!! 😃

IMG_3282.PNG

Just now, paget said:

Is this lot likely to get to us (The bit off the SW coast) ??

sorry for my rubbish meteorological terms!!! 😃

IMG_3282.PNG

Nope

Yes, as @Dipsy says above, fine, light snow in Reigate.  -4.4c, Dp -7c.  It's going to take a lot more intensity to build up anything meaningful.  I see the amber warning remains as yesterday, so hasn't been extended eastwards towards London and the south east.  Looking at the radar returns that's not really surprising.

West Country looks interesting.  My 83 year old father is in Bristol so I may get some reports later.  He's got enough tins and powdered milk to last about 6 months!

11 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Building up nicely considering we had nothing on the ground early yesterday evening:

2AB50ABB-3223-40A9-A579-4C6E9E5A4B42.jpeg

Nice one, finally! A couple of cm’s here too, nothing amazing but it’s snowing, it’s -4C and it’s the first day of Spring lol. Fingers crossed we get a decent covering before it all melts on Saturday :cold:

Was hoping for a lot more today but can't complain. 

I'm expecting a partial thaw tonight as temperatures may struggle to fall below freezing in some parts

Have to say I’m quite disappointed with this cold spell in Haywards Heath, probably due to my unrealistic expectations to be fair. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been great to have genuine cold and some snow this late in the season, but this hasn’t come close to March 2013, let alone 2009/2010 down here. 2-3 inches on Tuesday morning which started to melt in the sun meaning roads were basically clear by the afternoon, some snow in sheltered spots still but not a lot. I was hoping for a good top up today but we have a few flakes in the wind and nothing else, and can’t see much else coming our way? 

It’s been more interesting than normal late February/early March weather but if we’re not going to get another decent covering I’m ready for it to warm up and for Spring to start! 

Sky is starting to lighten up now and the radar is not showing much happening at the moment. Is this it for today?

Proper snow, not sure how long it will last though :(

My netweather forecast as gone from snow all day to stopping at around 9am  - oh well.

Funny how long that PPN sat in the Channel between 4am - 7am this morning and then passed over so quickly!  

Ashford TN23 2/10

7 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Yes, as @Dipsy says above, fine, light snow in Reigate.  -4.4c, Dp -7c.  It's going to take a lot more intensity to build up anything meaningful.  I see the amber warning remains as yesterday, so hasn't been extended eastwards towards London and the south east.  Looking at the radar returns that's not really surprising.

West Country looks interesting.  My 83 year old father is in Bristol so I may get some reports later.  He's got enough tins and powdered milk to last about 6 months!

Fabulous FiveLive weather forecast just now for just about the entire country... except the south east. All focus currently north and east and later, south west, Ireland, Wales and central southern England. No doubt we’ll see some snow but as for the ‘event’ all the pointers suggest a near miss. Don’t see that changing, as it’s not a showery airstream. But I guess we’ll see. 

Quick question, how long will the snow remain powdery? Will it still be this type tomorrow?

The radar showing its clear over London but it's still snowing:)

Red warning issued for parts of the South-West and Wales!

They've  closed my sons school here in Brighton but looking at the radar that may have been unnecessary :unknw: