Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

#BeastFromTheEast #BigFreeze #snow #shirley #croydon

• Like 2

Spot the difference there ain't much. pretty accurate. Radar for 10pm. Harlem chart for 10pm says 23:00 as its French and they hour ahead. much closer than any other model so you hope what it shows for tomorrow is going to be most accurate.

image.thumb.png.ce97a7b1c9c3122e08aa952afa68e48d.png

image.thumb.png.d243a63d24878fa13e6f1998d0eff1a8.png

showers on off all night. light snow moving in from 6am heavy blizzards from 8am-1pm then light snow to 5pm followed by repeat Friday. yes please HIrlam.

• Like 2

More heavy snow for the SE for Friday on the Hirlam 18z.:D

hirlam-1-43-0.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Snowy Bob said:

I don't think it really matters now. There is so much on that radar that it seems the entire south coast will be getting at least something. 

Also look at the echoes from the east of that front just east of Paris. 

Interesting. 

Lets hope so. What time would you put on it? 

5 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

A bit of a disaster in central the heavier streamers are always to the north and south of us

We are cursed

Join the Horley club, sir. Topographically immune.

Just travelled by train from London to Dorking. Everywhere white until we got out of the tunnel under the North Downs. Looking at radar, seems like there’s a noticeable snow shadow to the south of the downs. Hopefully tomorrow will make up for it! 

2 minutes ago, snowray said:

More heavy snow for the SE for Friday on the Hirlam 18z.:D

hirlam-1-43-0.png

Covered by Nick Miller on BBC Weather for week ahead or does that discount it as I have read many here do that with them. Metoffice says different 

My word HIRLAM is outrageous, big snow event for entire of the SE on that 18z both onThursday and Friday morning. Not checked the totals but probably 15cms+  overall.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Lets hope so. What time would you put on it? 

I'm gonna go for about 6am - though wouldn't be at all surprised if it's earlier considering how quickly it's going. 

This cold spell could be extended.  A new shallow high feature to the north east seems ready to put the low on a more NW track, and keep it a bit more south. Interesting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leemondo said:

A couple of pics from Ashdown Forest, not mine, thought i'd share them as they are stunning

I have witnessed freezing rain once and wouldn't wish it on anyone, it is lethal.

Hope we all get a massive dumping of snow tomorrow, good luck everyone!!!!

Lee

28378160_10211317890011348_4184936171573746176_n.jpg

28423835_10211317892251404_5747788238342220599_o.jpg

Fabulous.

Not been perfect for everyone this spell (me included) - although the end of the week interest to come - but even the past 2-3 days. Pretty awesome. Good old-fashioned 'proper winter'.

• Like 2

Just looked at Hirlam forecast for Thurs and Friday as it was the most accurate for todays streamers that developed.I know it is a big "if" but for my location for the 2 days i would be looking at 15-20cms for my location and that is quite a conservative estimate.If it is right everyone in this thread will be buried lol

• Like 2

Streamer seems to be shifting NW now, snow getting lighter across east London and Essex.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

At present I'm happy to admit I have no clue how the next 48/72hrs are going to plan out, let alone for my area Boxley (Medway/Maidstone)

Happy to sit back, relax and see what mother nature does :D

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

My word HIRLAM is outrageous, big snow event for entire of the SE on that 18z both onThursday and Friday morning. Not checked the totals but probably 15cms+  overall.

looks like night shift at  met office going to busy as once 0z models runs if the Harlem is correct and all others follow suit they need to at least to be putting out amber warnings possibly even a red somewhere before everyone leaves for work.

• Like 2

Corrr if the latest hirlam was a woman we’d be walking down the aisle right about now.

Edited by tomp456
  • Like 2

Probably will see those amber warnings extended soon towards Surrey and London based on the 18z, also MAY need a red warning in Hampshire IF freezing rain comes off like the 18z GFS as that is an exceptional situation for this country and would be very high impact.

Hopefully though it remains as snow, going to be borderline for the south coast for a short time Friday morning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tomp456 said:

Corrr if the latest hirlam was a woman we’d be walking down the isle right about now.

Dont do it mate :))))

Just now, fluid dynamic said:

Dont do it mate :))))

But if it let me down we’ll be divorced by about mid day tomorrow. ;p

It's still snowing.. I've made it to work in Purley way without any problems :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

But if it let me down we’ll be divorced by about mid day tomorrow. ;p

marrying a model hahaha

• Like 1

5cm in cobham and the roads are terrible..... was really coming down earlier.... looking at the radar the wind has turned north so waiting for the next bit of fun