Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

1 minute ago, Meggy said:

Hi! You're not living in Ockendon anymore then? I always used to look out for your posts as someone local to me! not that I don't read them now of course!  

Unfortunately I'm now on the other side of the region! That being said I gave Ockendon a visit today, nice covering of snow there, even if most of the morning the streamer was literally miles to the north.

Just now, kold weather said:

Unfortunately I'm now on the other side of the region! That being said I gave Ockendon a visit today, nice covering of snow there, even if most of the morning the streamer was literally miles to the north.

We've had a few heavyish horizontal showers late afternoon, one of which I got caught in, but it hasn't got above -1 in my back yard today. Lethal underfoot too!  

Proper train of showers but I can't get over how strong the wind is! 

• Like 1

Very surprised an amber warning wasn’t put in place for parts of Essex and London today considering how much snow has fallen. 

There is a yellow warning in force but even that only scrapes the northern part of the M25

• Like 1

Chris Fawkes on Twitter punting for 5cm+ in London tomorrow so hope for West of region. Can’t see it getting further east than West Essex and West Cambs though although who knows? All models differ, all eyes on the radar tomorrow I suppose ! 

The entry point for these train of showers is the coast north of Ipswich. They keep building offshore and are moving SW. 

To my surprise a rouge shower is coming through,maybe one or two more weak ones upstream as well. Barely a dusting but at least it is something!

Going to be a very important 12z ECM in terms of how tomorrow evolves.

And the snow keeps on falling..:smile:

• Like 2

As expected the 12z EURO4 pretty similar to raw UKMO:

18030118_2_2812.gif

Patchy snow for much of our region, a little more persistent in the west. Very little precipitation shown at all on Friday to 12pm, though it looks more likely to hit later on Friday so will have to see what is offered in later runs.

Over to you ECMWF

19 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Depends on what you want, for the west of the area it looks ok for probably 3-6cms which is probably about where the mean of the models is at the moment. Not so good the further east you go, but for most of you guys in the east, you've more than had your fill anyway now ;) 

Actually here in Gatwick we haven't and I don't think we will either. Snow has fallen but not as much as they promised and the grass is basically green. Very disappointing really. When I move to the East Midlands we will be too far East for snow there too. The 2 weather patterns I love, snow and thunderstorms, very rarely happen where I am. 

Looks like nobody has the foggiest what’s gonna happen - it’s probably just too unpredictable so I think from this point on i’ll Be sticking to radar...

whatever happens I really don’t need a blizzard starting at 2pm or i’ll End up snowed in at work! 😫

I’m in Orpington Kent the snow showers look like there getting heavier the bbc said dry afternoon..:cc_confused:

• Like 1

I have to say as we go on this is an incredible powerful beast wind is sooo string it cuts you in half. Virtuslly no thaw on the ground today obviously on thd direct roofs then yes..... but in the sheltered garden. No. Went sledging at oxleas wood this afternoon on shootershill. Wow cold sheesh. Got back in car -3. With windchill about -15 bone shudder. Great fun for my daughter tho. Whats up next beem away from the models all day lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

I’m in Orpington Kent the snow showers look like there getting heavier the bbc said dry afternoon..:cc_confused:

Abbie how bad is it there i am just off tjere in a minite 

given the lack of yellow warning for this evenings current snow / streamer - why would they not place a yellow over us ? Or is it because it's 'dark' 

Edited by Honey
  • Thanks 1

Woah loving this. A cm in about 10 mins. Even the main road it’s getting covered

• Like 1

Suns gone down and it's already -4C. 

Wish the winds would die down, could easily hit -10C here. 

Just a picture from Locksbottom at 8am this morning under blue skies and no wind with temp at -6

image.thumb.png.a52a140684b760d4fc1da3a767a44668.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Abbie how bad is it there i am just off tjere in a minite 

As the afternoon went on snow showers have got heavier it been like blizzard conditions with that gusty easterly wind they have started to set on roads ..

• Like 3