Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Officially signing off from my Perch by the window. Have a great year -  Enjoy it with your Families- Current pic - 4.5 inches    my favourite pic - Cheers All

So this is it, the end of winter. Time to look forward to Spring..... Wait, what's this?        Apparently not. So for the time being, we will remain as one for this cold spell. Ple

Just popped in to wish my southeast friends lots of snow, the radar looks very active so you should do well and that includes the coming days!..you deserve this

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Sorry a bit off topic... but

Just read in the guardian that the recent arctic warming is a ‘freak phenomenon linked with climate change’.

I thought it was bcos of the SSW, which I’ve read here and elsewhere is a natural (albeit unusual) phenomenon not linked to human activity...

is the guardian just doom-mongering or is it in some way linked to CC? ?

(sorry for the digression!)

It’s just not that simple. Global warming affects the weather in complex ways. One weather event can’t be directly linked. Someone can probably explain it much better than I can. Of course climate change/global warming is reality, but much of the reporting on it is rubbish, even on the side of those who believe it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, paget said:

I spotted one too! Does that make 2 flakes in total? ?

Stranger still. A string of heavy, if short-lived, showers passing through Odiham. Very heavy at the moment and drifting in the wind. the small areas of green have now gone white again. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Wheres the entry point & eastern end - as Hirlam entry is SE kent -?

Hirlam probably about the most easterly but most have snow on the warm front. The real question is where does that core come up. Certainly been some eastwards adjustments today.

7 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

whilst that looks good, look further on-

lunchtime-

hirlamuk-1-24-0.thumb.png.95906a483261ba4eafea7bfe55faac91.png

evening-

hirlamuk-1-30-0.thumb.png.5a66b90fcb8185358517866621610715.png

lets hope the hirlam is bang on!

Sorry to be selfish but can I bank this please?

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, paget said:

Sorry to be selfish but can I bank this please?

?

you wouldn't be being selfish! all those of us who have missed out would get some, along with those who already have! win-win!!:yahoo:

4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yes T22 -10am

This is the aperge 23 so 11am

slightly weaker moisture plume -

6C8D1038-DBF5-42AC-934E-6634C150FFD9.thumb.png.f3b975a9e71a47bdcf505ab72843e8ee.png

9 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

whilst that looks good, look further on-

lunchtime-

hirlamuk-1-24-0.thumb.png.95906a483261ba4eafea7bfe55faac91.png

evening-

hirlamuk-1-30-0.thumb.png.5a66b90fcb8185358517866621610715.png

lets hope the hirlam is bang on!

And GEM has a 3 day snowfest, with some freezing rain thrown in for fun too. GEM have been verifying pretty well of late too.

gem-2-24.png

gem-2-30.png

gem-2-36.png

gem-2-42.png

gem-2-66.png

gem-2-72.png

Heavier flurry here now. Lovely chunky flakes. Was not expecting anything this afternoon so a nice bonus. Temp continues to fall away slowly. Now down to -3.8c. Nr Charing on north downs, kent

7 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

It’s just not that simple. Global warming affects the weather in complex ways. One weather event can’t be directly linked. Someone can probably explain it much better than I can. Of course climate change/global warming is reality, but much of the reporting on it is rubbish, even on the side of those who believe it. 

Ok, thanks ?

update: snowing lightly in godalming

4 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Looking at radar think south of London have a few hours of showers maybe

could this be Surrey’s chance

Yes! Do you think these are going to continue for a while yet then? Nice little starter before the main tomorrow hopefully?!

10 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Hirlam probably about the most easterly but most have snow on the warm front. The real question is where does that core come up. Certainly been some eastwards adjustments today.

It's snowing in France right now that system Emma

• Like 1

Just to try and keep things a little bit balanced in here, the 12z UKMO-GM definitely a bit further West with things:

image.thumb.png.b6e3414b153ac9ce88f026f67a5f84d4.pngimage.thumb.png.d56dd2de98a51c52495f9bd64e807ddf.pngP1_GZ_D5_PN_030_0000.gifP1_GZ_D5_PN_036_0000.gif

This really will be a wake up and look at the radar job tomorrow for us I'm afraid. It will be interesting to see the 12z EURO4, which I assume is initialised with the same data as the UKMO-GM