Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

I don’t think I can take much more 😳

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

It’s definitely further east and more extensive than any tv forecast.

Yet again, HIRLAM comes up trumps!

It does indeed, I think the warning signs were there last night with how it handled the wind direction that this all could come further eastwards...but it MAY have even slightly under-estimated it as well amazingly!

Waiting for the Met officeto extend amber warning eastwards...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Agonisingly on the edge here, very frustrating!

Same 😞

What is  the deal with riding temps - I'm led to believe that now is the pinch point, and then they level off and no rise  until Saturday and that currently we are just seeing the impact of slightly warming air, but it will lose its impact soon.

Blimey ... really pepping up. This was 14.30:

5a98238f471a8_ScreenShot2018-03-01at14_26_24.thumb.png.28a74cabedc5e8ee5bf746c649e04b58.png

And now:

5a98239fb6dc8_ScreenShot2018-03-01at15_58_55.thumb.png.2a61afc0c77ec3225e5f031c201165ac.png

Southern Britain in the firing line

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Wow radar really has lighted up over the N.France coast!!

Looks like HIRLAM was right all along, just as I and a few of the rest of us expected. 

Going to need a big eastward extension to the amber warning, at least to London, E.Sussex. Probably amounts in Hampshire and Surrey upto 10-15cm as HIRLAM now looking accurate.

If it continues to play out as modelled by HIRLAM (I think it will), areas to the west of London could see 9 hours of continuous snow. Not heavy all the time, but enough to add the amounts you suggest above. We already have 8cm on the ground here, so another 10cm would be the deepest in this neck of the woods for many years!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kold weather said:

I suspect it was very fine powder snow grains, if its light enough it can look a little like rain, we had that here briefly around 2pm.

Temperatures aloft should still easily support snow even down to the coast, that will change though quite quickly this evening and we will probably see a transition back to 'wet snow'

mate, i can guarantee you we had freezing drizzle this morning for around 10 mins. it froze to my windscreen.

• Like 1

Looks like HIRLAM was right all along, just as I and a few of the rest of us expected. 

Going to need a big eastward extension to the amber warning, at least to London, E.Sussex. Probably amounts in Hampshire and Surrey upto 10-15cm as HIRLAM now looking accurate.

Larger flakes just started here. Hope it's the start of something and that the heavier snow gets much further east than forecast.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

From the other thread but wouldnt be surprised to see Beds and Bucks in that too. Agree? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shotski said:

Come on! Who lives in the green bit 😬

6FED3718-061A-4D18-B97F-0147C21B7A7C.jpeg

:wallbash: I do... Deal microclimate! :rofl:

• Like 2

It does indeed, I think the warning signs were there last night with how it handled the wind direction that this all could come further eastwards...but it MAY have even slightly under-estimated it as well amazingly!

Waiting for the Met officeto extend amber warning eastwards...

Is there any risk of it fizzling out before it reaches more eastern areas? I'm hoping at least the G. London area will benefit to some degree as we're so close to the action at the moment.

• Like 1

Light snow also growing rapidly over the London area on the latest few radar grabs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

mate, i can guarantee you we had freezing drizzle this morning for around 10 mins. it froze to my windscreen.

Exactly what I had (bit down the road from you in Burgess Hill) - same duration, must have been about 12.45pm.  Not much at all, but wasn't snow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

If it continues to play out as modelled by HIRLAM (I think it will), areas to the west of London could see 9 hours of continuous snow. Not heavy all the time, but enough to add the amounts you suggest above. We already have 8cm on the ground here, so another 10cm would be the deepest in this neck of the woods for many years!

That also ignores the very real chance of 3-5cms from the front coming up tomorrow as well!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, saint said:

Light snow also growing rapidly over the London area on the latest few radar grabs.

Currently at work in central London - nothing here at the moment.

Edited by danm

2 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Blimey ... really pepping up. This was 14.30:

5a98238f471a8_ScreenShot2018-03-01at14_26_24.thumb.png.28a74cabedc5e8ee5bf746c649e04b58.png

And now:

5a98239fb6dc8_ScreenShot2018-03-01at15_58_55.thumb.png.2a61afc0c77ec3225e5f031c201165ac.png

Southern Britain in the firing line

Just looking at these, surely it would take a Herculean almost impossible exit stage left for this to not hit more Easterly Southern counties now? Or am I still clutching at straws? 🙄

• Like 2

light snow here

Just got home from sledging with the younger siblings, left phone at home come back and check radar.. 

Oh HILRAM you little beaut :cold:

• Like 3

as Steve mentioned earlier we need to see if instability develops further east to the main low centre, and it does appear to be the case looking at the latest radar

It’s still edging east

• Like 1

Radar says should be snowing here but nothing falling from the sky

Some very light snow falling again in Greenwich now

Looks as though the whole system is building on the Eastern flank

And that's before we see what happens as the stuff growing Eastwards in France hits the channel...

• Like 2

Very windy in Brighton but not a single thing falling down from the sky :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just seen the latest forecast from ITV, which was about as much use as a wet fart in a space suit. It showed snow well west of Hampshire and nothing at all in this neck of the woods (apart from the odd shower). It was nothing like what the radar is actually showing or what has been modelled by HIRLAM.

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 1