Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Had about 1 cm of snow overnight, which was a nice surprise.

I have noticed some high res models suggesting a streamer through the Thames Valley this evening, so that's definitely one to watch!

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Looks like cloud firing up already up the thames- snow already into Southend etc

@Southender

@Paul Sherman

Massive Cb's rolling in here

Posted
4 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Disagree

no southerly movement 

Agreed, although the flow is flattening out somewhat to a straighter E-W flow.

It is curious that none of the models really show anything for today. Those outrageous upper temps, combined with a brisker and flatter E-W flow off the North Sea (and obviously the lowest pressure of anywhere on the East coast) suggest at least some showers or a brief attempt at a streamer, and yet the models show nothing whatsoever. You wouldn't expect them to forecast a streamer, but normally when it's possible you get at least some pale blues and greens around the coasts.

It's my head telling me there should be showers coming in off the Thames estuary today, but it's also my head telling me to trust the models on this one... What a conundrum...

Posted

Well had to walk down to Chartham station this morning at 6.30. Going nowhere by car. Trains all cancelled. Walked back!

20180228_064228.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

A nice 1cm here in North Surrey but enough to make it nice ! As most of the roads around here are private and gated no gritting so the local roads are all iced with an icing sugar dusting !! They are so slippy :) 

7EAD39C7-AFA7-4DBE-AE47-231C6E045E1D.jpeg

3A8A09C5-5EFA-48D4-BCAF-F76DC53464F1.jpeg

529BDD6A-70BB-40C6-8F72-710DB7628C14.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
46 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Looks like cloud firing up already up the thames- snow already into Southend etc

@Southender

@Paul Sherman

Yeah it seems to be firing up. Nothing of note fallen yet since daybreak though, so a bit of false readings so far. Need to see the dark echoes...wind really starting to howl though from EESE, so that's a good sign.

Still, it's generating a fair bit of cloud cover, which is fine by me to preserve snow across the piste.

Edited by Southender

Posted

Woke up to a cm or so in Surbiton. Lovely blue skies here and we are off to the park to try out the sledge I bought in 2013 and haven't been able to use since!

snow 28 Feb 2018.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

It is look at the last 3 - london in the firing line now

160F55BE-6DA8-4596-B8D1-718F59801674.thumb.png.cf69f3b67f7272535dd5fc563b835c12.png27944F33-1FD5-47E0-A96A-06175A1EFF0E.thumb.png.ba4fbb885e6a12df616f75a9a3ed190e.pngF975AAE4-3FFD-4311-928A-F6ED03CF5178.thumb.png.8ae8ff87a82811d9c83b1db21339fc55.png

The NW radar definitely doesn't show any southerly movement. Wonder if it's an optical illusion as some energy shifts south and the colours shift accordingly...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

At work in central London/. Wife confirms back home in Chingford (NE London) snow is fallling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
1 minute ago, wellington boot said:

The NW radar definitely doesn't show any southerly movement. Wonder if it's an optical illusion as some energy shifts south and the colours shift accordingly...?

Would be nice to see that track further south, but I don't see that coming our way...

3 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

dunno but the cloud bank no the north of me suggests its accurate

plus home & dry never been wrong for me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
4 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

It does as Steve says I think - individual showers moving WNW but the convective showers are happening increasingly further SW. Below radar images at 9:50 and 8:50

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Edited by Jimmy0127
  • Like 1

Posted

I think the initiation point is pretty much on the Coastline today and not 30-50 miles out meaning Coastal parts will see the snow showers building but places further down the line will get the goodies.