Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
8 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I think the Met Office Amber warning was a very good shout. 

The Yellow warning for last night was probably too extensive, but they have to cover any ‘unexpected’ developments.

Can’t quite agree on that one. Amber warning way overcooked. Yellow is low level risk anyway. And we can all be correct if we make our margins that big.

Pretty sure I recall Steve Murr and Paul Sherman say almost immediately after the MetO extended the Amber, ‘nah, that doesn’t seem quite right.’ And they were right. Which rather begs the question...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Enjoying my 0.2cm here in Waltham abbey. The beast has landed!!!!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Morning all!

Nothing here again in Farnham, Surrey ?

hate to be a moaner but can't help being a bit disappointed!

thise who got it, have fun in it, I hope you get some snow days! ?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

I think for the however  many millions of people who live inside the M25 ( 9 million ? ) it has so far been underwhelming? 

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Can’t quite agree on that one. Amber warning way overcooked. Yellow is low level risk anyway. And we can all be correct if we make our margins that big.

Pretty sure I recall Steve Murr and Paul Sherman say almost immediately after the MetO extended the Amber, ‘nah, that doesn’t seem quite right.’ And they were right. Which rather begs the question...

I think anyone, even the Met Office, who can nail the exact locations for an Amber warning should be predicting the lottery. When streamers are involved, they have to cover the entire risk area, which they did. Yes, some will have missed out, but that’s just the nature of those scenarios.

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Badgers01 said:

I think for the however  many millions of people who live inside the M25 ( 9 million ? ) it has so far been underwhelming? 

Early days in the cold spell, to be fair. The end of the week may see more interest for London, usually we need a trough/front or be very lucky with a Thames Streamer. Have a feeling my area will see sod all.

Posted

Looking all white in Ashford this morning - guessing a good 5cm and more on it's way. I'd say the forecasts were pretty much spot on so far with it being a hit or miss affair. Just happy to be in the 'hit' zone on this occasion.

IMG_5044.thumb.JPG.41bf3e02c02e6249c82159dc3f4593ec.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
1 minute ago, Great Plum said:

Drive carefully - I was sent this photo from a colleague of the a23  near Hayward’s heath this morning

A515AE86-96D9-4BF7-BF3A-38C74A8914D1.jpeg

Yes the roads round Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill were all like that picture, the salt hasn't stopped it settling

Posted

Nothing here in sidcup, hoping we might get some today though - plus it looks like Thursday and Friday are going to stay the right side or marginal now. Happy for those of you that got some snow, especially those that were so despondent yesterday - I guess just a little patience was required ?

Posted
1 minute ago, Rob Deacon said:

Yes the roads round Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill were all like that picture, the salt hasn't stopped it settling

I think that salt doesn’t work well with this ‘dry’ powdery snow we’ve got...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Happy for those who have a good covering to wake up to this morning to the south and SE Of London, can see the bank of grey snow clouds to my south while it’s clear skies here. But share the frustration of those of us in London and points SW, W, NW and N who saw nothing last night, At least no issues getting to work or taking time off work for school closures, but my 6 year old is not happy!

it looks like the steering flow stayed  NEly overnight, surface flow Nly to NNEly, so was only going to favour Kent and E Sussex, with E Anglia acting as a snow shield for rest of us. These areas will continue to see most frequent snow showers through the day. Elsewhere, the sun should create enough shallow warmth to develop some scattered snow showers inland, but probably not enough to bring more than a dusting 

will have a look in a bit at prospects for overnight, Weds and the rest of the week

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

Well happy just woke up to see its snowing hard here on sheppey looks lovey. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Yes, a case of ‘for the few, not the many’. 

Thursday/Friday remains the best bet for the region as a whole.

-3.3C and clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Early days in the cold spell, to be fair. The end of the week may see more interest for London, usually we need a trough/front or be very lucky with a Thames Streamer. Have a feeling my area will see sod all.

agree above , its just when you look at things like the fax chart which was issued last night, you would say that is very snowy chart which should deliver. I guess we need luck and dream synoptics..?

2 minutes ago, mulzy said:

-3.3C and clear.

maybe a piers corbyn forecast !!

• Like 1

Posted

well we've had about 1-2 cm. decent covering but nothing special. going to struggle to build a snowman. hopefully get a bit more if the winds veer round today. popped into a few of the regionals and it looks like nobody has had anything particularly "epic", even my native north-east. seems like a few have done well in the 'sweet-spots' but hardly amber warning levels! 

never mind though, the rest of the week might bring us some more and at least the kids have been out to play in it already and molly has made and thrown her first ever snowball!

Posted
2 minutes ago, mulzy said:

-3.3C and clear.

BBC really pushing Thursday/Friday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

IMG_20180227_065152.jpg

• Like 2