Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
24 minutes ago, throwoff said:

METo are right now saying heavy through most of the night and have been for some time. I am inclined to believe it is in the offing but have been let down too many times in recent years.

That's so weird. MetO just saying light snow for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

I live in Central London so I'm like right bang in the middle of both this thread and the EA and North London one! :laugh:

I already posted this in the other thread but thought to post it here too...

Hello to all North of the River! :)

Been snowing on and off since around 9.00a.m. here in Central London!

Light powdery snow, alternating between light and moderate falls. Snowflakes small and hardly settling, though nice to see all the same.:D:yahoo:

Temp around 2c and windchill is bitter at min -10c! :cold::cold::cold:

• Like 1

Posted

I was just about to go and grab the EURO4 forecast for this morning but someone on twitter beat me to it - just shows how much of an underestimation there has already been:

• Like 4

Posted

The negativity on here is baffling. We were never meant to get more than flurries until this evening. Yesterday the MetO issued an additional warning for 4am to 10:30am today for 1-2cm in places. Guess what, exactly what happened. The forecast now says heavy and persistent snow with significant accumulations tonight and tomorrow morning for Kent and Sussex. They have just uploaded their latest YouTube forecast which says exactly the same.

The cold itself is meant to peak on Wed/Thu with temps progressively dropping until then.

I really don't get the negativity.

Screenshot 2018-02-26 13.18.50.png

• Like 8

Posted

That person is me^ 8):D

It was always to be expected... by tonight into tomorrow things should ramp up more with more in way of organised snowfall for some. I think things are going better than I expected so far.

I’ve lost count of powdery snow showers I’ve had this morning....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, seb said:

The negativity on here is baffling. We were never meant to get more than flurries until this evening. Yesterday the MetO issued an additional warning for 4am to 10:30am today for 1-2cm in places. Guess what, exactly what happened. The forecast now says heavy and persistent snow with significant accumulations tonight and tomorrow morning for Kent and Sussex. They have just uploaded their latest YouTube forecast which says exactly the same.

The cold itself is meant to peak on Wed/Thu with temps progressively dropping until then.

I think the main reason for any negativity is how quickly the snow is melting, even in the shade. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Lauren said:

That's so weird. MetO just saying light snow for me!

What are you looking at? Please ignore the symbols or the app. This setup does not lend itself for automated forecasts. Here's the text forecast:

Screenshot 2018-02-26 13.24.27.png

3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

That person is me^ 8):D

It was always to be expected... by tonight into tomorrow things should ramp up more with more in way of organised snowfall for some. I think things are going better than I expected so far.

I’ve lost count of powdery snow showers I’ve had this morning....

Have to agree, I'm in Marlow probs one of the most inland areas and I've seen numerous snow showers this morning and they are getting heavier and heavier. Today is a warm up for later in tonight and tomorrow including Wednesday. 

The high RES as we all thought sucked at picking up the showers etc... 

Patient people it's coming... Expect even more suprises.. 

Also Weybridge had apparently 1-2cm of temp covering this morning including Windsor they are outside of the warning this morning

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, danm said:

I think the main reason for any negativity is how quickly the snow is melting, even in the shade. 

It isn't where there is a proper covering, it is where there are individual flakes visible which is no surprise as the sun is strong and the air is extremely dry. Won't be a problem after 5PM as the sun will be gone by then, just in time for the showers to become heavy and merge.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
10 minutes ago, seb said:

Screenshot 2018-02-26 13.18.50.png

I don't call it negativity, I call it reverse psychology. 

Worked a treat in the summer for storms ;) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Met office don’t seem to be going with the snow around the Thames and london tonight

but wow looks great for those further east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

And another moderate to heavy snow shower on sheppey may not be much on the ground now but we've had a lot more than I thought  we was going to have so far.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, snowking said:

I was just about to go and grab the EURO4 forecast for this morning but someone on twitter beat me to it - just shows how much of an underestimation there has already been:

I posted that same tweet. Increasing instability through the day.

Posted

Just watched the BBC Weather. Nothing seems to tie in with everything else I've seen/heard. Never heard of the Thames Tickler either but guessing its another name for a Streamer.

Posted

I'm surprised to have seen anything here today, even though it was very light and certainly didn't settle. None of the charts or forecasts said we'd get anything this far west so I'm optimistic that when the real stuff comes we are in the right setup. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
Just now, nicktabs said:

I'm surprised to have seen anything here today, even though it was very light and certainly didn't settle. None of the charts or forecasts said we'd get anything this far west so I'm optimistic that when the real stuff comes we are in the right setup. 

I agree  but my only concern is are we not under the real stuff already -10 or less uppers etc and it doesn't seem to be firing up the really heavy showers and even thunder snow  I thought we might see..?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!
4 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Met office don’t seem to be going with the snow around the Thames and london tonight

but wow looks great for those further east

Actually, the Met Office has a large amount of the South East AND London under an Amber and Yellow warning tonight......

Untitled.thumb.png.18e3c86770e76c218ea2e05eccd6c875.png

These warnings are just a rough estimate and surprises can crop up out of nowhere to.

The forecast had nothing falling for Central London today, yet I've had on and off snow showers since morning. :laugh:

Keep the faith!  :good:

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, lottiekent said:

Anyone else getting an error with their MO 5 day forecast? 

D3A21A75-2C2A-4009-995D-52F0C129E313.png

Yeah, I've had a few problems with the website just now. Can't load my local forecast either, or any surrounding areas. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
17 minutes ago, seb said:

What are you looking at? Please ignore the symbols or the app. This setup does not lend itself for automated forecasts. Here's the text forecast:

Screenshot 2018-02-26 13.24.27.png

Ah. I was look8ng at Medway specific forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
3 minutes ago, nicktabs said:

I was forecast nothing for today as well so it’s a surprise

• Like 2

Posted

Another moderate/heavy fall in Central London with bigger flakes! :D:cold:

Come to daddy! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

that said the max today has been just 0.7c in Cobham Surrey so that alone is impressive.

Posted

Looked at the temperature at home and it’s still below freezing so looking like my first ice day in years!

Just back from a lunch hour walk and apart from the odd flake there’s nothing to speak of. Was hoping for some to fall to walk whilst out...maybe tomorrow!