Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - the beast arrives

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Posted

I know it’s now very very cold, and many have had a few snow showers and lots more to come etc....but, if Thurs/Frinsnow storms comes in as rain, even snow to rain many in here will be disappointed. At one point this was going to last a few weeks

• Like 7

Posted

What a thriller this low is turning into.

Still more changes to come and who would put money on forecasting the end of the week.

The ECM is still better than the GFS for the low and that’s good news.

• Like 9

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

What a thriller this low is turning into.

Still more changes to come and who would put money on forecasting the end of the week.

The ECM is still better than the GFS for the low and that’s good news.

After viewing the ICON and the GEM, I was expecting an epic evening but things look mixed at best now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I know it’s now very very cold, and many have had a few snow showers and lots more to come etc....but, if Thurs/Frinsnow storms comes in as rain, even snow to rain many in here will be disappointed. At one point this was going to last a few weeks

Unfortunately, it's a valuable lesson that the models got it wrong in FI. No shockers there I guess, it's how we ourselves interpret. FI is good eye candy but shouldn't be taken as gospel. It is also the case when breakdowns are shown in FI too though, so nothing to get disheartened about. Still reason for excitement this week and beyond.

Posted
Just now, karyo said:

After viewing the ICON and the GEM, I was expecting an epic evening but things look mixed at best now.

lets see if the eps are more keen to take the lw trough east at day 5/6. we are still far enough away for the op to be in the wrong cluster.

• Like 3

Posted

Apologies guys - weather.us has updated for 850s now, and they actually get above freezing for quite some time between Thursday and Friday, and push quite far inland. Looked good when just looking at the T72 and T96 frame!!

Posted
15 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

ECM t144 shows the coldest 850's moving north

ECU0-144.GIF.thumb.png.cdf3ceac194295e8b981f51987dd5cd8.png

Just too much overall consistency over the past few days - with inter-run variations as always - viz the track of this low north. You would think that the high to the NW is being more coherently modelled than the low to the SW and it's this lack of forcing that seems to me to ultimately be 'the issue'. Can we squeeze a decent snow day south of the M4 on Friday before a 'warm up'? I'd take that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Ecm 12z shows the cold spreading south again..good sign!:cold::)

192_thickuk.png

192_mslp850.png

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

lets see if the eps are more keen to take the lw trough east at day 5/6. we are still far enough away for the op to be in the wrong cluster.

Trouble is, BA, the other clusters at T168 this morning did not take the low east, if I read them right. But the UKMO clearly did this morning, a few ops and GEFS members have done tonight, so still out there?

Posted
Just now, geordiekev said:

Unfortunately, it's a valuable lesson that the models got it wrong in FI. No shockers there I guess, it's how we ourselves interpret. FI is good eye candy but shouldn't be taken as gospel. It is also the case when breakdowns are shown in FI too though, so nothing to get disheartened about. Still reason for excitement this week and beyond.

checked back today and the gfs became keen on the Iberian low heading ne last Wednesday and the ecm last Thursday. I think ukmo was keen as soon as it came into its range. considering how unusual the pattern is I think that's pretty good going. it seems that mogreps was least keen to see the change in airmass. the ops have generally outperformed the ens on this broad evolution, picking it up earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Or let's just look at this as it's stunning and might be a very long time before we see this at t48.  From there on that low just gives me the hump:D 

IMG_0639.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

if only ......... tbh, once we have lost the frigid airmass, I would rather have spring than some half hearted attempts at winter again.

this ec run more in line with what mogreps must now be showing judging by the noon update

Sounds like quite a battleground scenario unfolding reading through the updated text, always very hard to nail down north south boundry in this type of sitiuation.

i would imagine those fabled winters gone by had many a set up like this, I know it's very late in the season but you wouldn't be arguing with that fact if you end up on the boundary line with all the fronts turning to snow.

middle UK could well be buried! 

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Trouble is, BA, the other clusters at T168 this morning did not take the low east, if I read them right. But the UKMO clearly did this morning, a few ops and GEFS members have done tonight, so still out there?

I thought the clusters looked a bit messy this morning. the op was in the largest cluster and that took more east days 5/6 so I wonder if the spreads on uppers may be a little more informative on this in an hour. 

we should have some agreement by tomorrow morning on Friday so that will hopefully make the weekend a little clearer too

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
12 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Ecm 12z shows the cold spreading south again..good sign!:cold::)

192_thickuk.png

192_mslp850.png

I think by then people will have had enough tbh and will lose interest in a half hearted cold spell. If we keep the continental air and Friday becomes a major snow event I think the beast will be seen as living up to the hype and we could have more snow events and keep the notable cold going. However the GFS and ECM operationals are pretty disappointing and if it gets whisked away I'd be happy to see the back of any cold weather until later on in the year.

Still hanging in the balance though but even UKMO shows milder air getting ahead of the low on Friday morning for a breif time. If the 00zs operationals tomorrow fail to stop the mild air advance by saturday I think the rest of the ensembles may follow as we will be getting close to the event. In which case people away from the eastern areas will probably rate December's cold snap higheras that at least didn't see the build up of snow melt quickly.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Cold returns south next week on the Ecm 12z:cold-emoji: , not the severe cold we will see this week, especially on wed, thurs and fri but cold enough for snow at least!:D

192_thickuk.png

192_mslp850.png

216_mslp850uk.png

216_thickuk.png

216_mslp500.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_thickuk.png

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Exactly !

The UKMO extended outlook doesn’t shout zonal mild mush but cold air close by and hanging on in the north  for the next two weeks , the boundary might change .

Instead of people enjoying and appreciating the next few days some are determined to be disappointed.

Without the SSW there would have been zip , no cold no snow and it would have been a dismal end to the winter.

Problem is Nick, using your scale, we are in green plus thinking we were heading to white but now heading to red:D The SSW has made for a good end to the winter and very interesting model viewing. 

Edited by That ECM

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Exactly !

The UKMO extended outlook doesn’t shout zonal mild mush but cold air close by and hanging on in the north  for the next two weeks , the boundary might change .

Instead of people enjoying and appreciating the next few days some are determined to be disappointed.

Without the SSW there would have been zip , no cold no snow and it would have been a dismal end to the winter.

I think expectations were sky high and when we saw some amazing charts in mid range and FI, some of us including me all got carried away.  Add to that, talk of a Feb 09 or even a Feb 91 redux was mentioned and as ever we got ahead of ourselves.

We still have a few days of this cold snap that is guaranteed to give *some* folk snow.  

• Like 4

Posted

Bearing in mind how rubbish the BBC weather forecast and app has been in recent times who has complained?

If yes what has been the best point of contact?

It annoys me they keep quoting the Met Office when they have sacked them. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1