South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sod the snow, Tom Baker is trying to steal your car. 

I want to see this in the morning.  

Good afternoon all ,with the passing of my beautifull wife last Autumn things have been rather busy at home but now starting to quieten down ,so today i,v been for a great walk up local woods .with th

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Any idea why people keep playing down the snow for the end of the week?

Why is there a amber warning out if there's going to be sod all.

I was wondering the same Jay

why Amber and only say out of two days snow from large powerful low that we will only get 2-5 cm from this ?? 

• Like 1

Updated ICON fragments the snow quite a bit. Still snow across the region Thurs but Friday looks like a non-event almost.

However, it does keep the cold going and apart from a brief warm-up early Friday morning, brings back colder 850 uppers (below 0 anyway) until Sunday evening (the end of its run).

tempresult_mer9.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
37 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

We have hardly got any snow. Just a dusting that's been frozen over. It's very crystalline and beautifully reflective . I've been out with my torch just watching these crystals (saddo!!). It's actually a stunning night,just make sure you're togged up. Up graded my hat and gloves from Uk winter to Siberian nomad :rofl:

Though dark, its difficult to tell but look out for diamond dust in the next snow shower. It was one of the most beautiful sights I'd seen during the 2009/10 winter, rare for us here and is the result of bitter cold uppers.

• Like 2

I think - 5 & 6 widely tonight with some places getting down 2-4c lower. Maybe a double digit sub zero will be reached 

Edited by SteveB
3 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Updated ICON fragments the snow quite a bit. Still snow across the region Thurs but Friday looks like a non-event almost.

However, it does keep the cold going and apart from a brief warm-up early Friday morning, brings back colder 850 uppers (below 0 anyway) until Sunday evening (the end of its run).

tempresult_mer9.gif

Yup, a megre dusting here if ICON 18z is correct. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Mark N said:

Yup, a megre dusting here if ICON 18z is correct. 

This is what I posted about earlier this evening. Been trawling the high Res models yet none of them, by a significant degree show anything like the TV forecasts are showing. Presuming they know something we dont (aka how the approaching warm front engages with the cold air) then I am very surprised they have stuck their neck out to suggest up to 20cm of snow on Thursday. The current charts show no more than a couple of cms at best in the most prone locations. The wind, if anything could be more disruptive and wind chill severe.

If the models continue to show the extent of the snow Thurs/Fri I would expect a significant downgrade from the met, perhaps even to downgrade the warning from amber to yellow. I would suggest 2-5cm at most having trawled the high Res 12zs this evening. 18z icon very patchy across the south west and none really getting any further than the east of Dorset.

Edited by SizzlingHeat
  • Sad 1
29 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

Anyone from around the Dartmoor area on here? Met office shows heavy snow from 9am Thursday until Midnight Friday :shok:

Ties in well with the ECM 12z snow depth chart which predicts 30cm.

Yep I'm on lower Dartmoor. There's a few of us on the group. Could be interesting. ??

• Like 2

There were a few very light snow flurries in Exeter earlier and one at around 7pm (while I was indoors, so I didn't see it) appears to have left a sprinkling on car roofs, but nothing on the ground. 

Tonight's runs look very good for south Devon, notably the ECMWF, with the >0C 850hPa temps revised further south which would help tip things towards a major snow event instead of a major freezing rain event.  The downside for snow lovers is that precipitation is more likely to be lacking, particularly further east into central southern England, but from an IMBY perspective I am very satisfied with tonight's runs.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 4