Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Phew!!! Kids school holidays eh.So the ukmo is granted slightly further south and gfs goes way north on the 12z . people have commented on great runs from a week ago ete and how things have changed?? Tbh im know expert but isn't that generally what happens nearer the actual event. I think the second ssw has skewed things hence the discrepancy and void between the gfs 6Z and 12z. Icould be way off the mark and talking b------- but just a thought.as we say in Sheffield "be reight"!!!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Anyone want to bet a virtual pint that GFS Op isn't even supported by its own control run out 144 to 192? :drinks:

I will bet it will be hard to find more than 2 members that support it in the ENS. Especially past 192. It's lost it big time. In my opinion of course.

• Like 1

Posted

What you want is a correction north of the UKMO as it’s overall pattern is very good.

The GFS with that shortwave could end in tears as it phases with low heights to the sw.

I don’t care much for bitter cold and dry weather so these southwards corrections are irritating , I’m looking to be as close to the milder boundary here to get a front close and snow on the northern flank.

So you’re all welcome to the direct hit of very cold uppers. :cold-emoji:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted

GEFS having very little to do with a southward correction.  Like the GFS Det it's pushing things slightly north.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, mulzy said:

With the exception of the GFS, all other models have shifted south - some slightly, some more so.  ARPERGE (shown below) probably the most southward.  I believe its the shortwave to the north of Iceland that is putting the southward pressure on the block - but I could be wrong?.

arpegeeur2-0-114.png?12

We await the ECM with baited breath as this was was the first model to call out the southward shift.

I think what has happened is that the models have moved away from the UK ridge merging with the Svalbard High to form an upper high over Scandi.

Instead we have the UK high moving NW to Greenland.

Whether that's the second Strat warming or something else I don't know.

Posted
6 minutes ago, mulzy said:

GEFS having very little to do with a southward correction.  Like the GFS Det it's pushing things slightly north.

Control supports the op by a mile!!think ecm might go middle ground here!!ukmo is still okay!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

There goes my virtual pint!

gensnh-0-1-144.png

Though in actuality it is a fair bit more realistic in that it pushes the trough through instead of blowing it up, stalling it and then filling it in over Scotland

Op/control

gfsnh-0-186.png?12gensnh-0-1-174.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

The GFS appears to be leading the dance here, wherever it goes then other models toy with it 12/24 hours later. Yesteday’s high issues, for example, now showing more widely whilst GFS embeds cold then pushes through all sorts of opportunities.

Where does the dance end up? I think most models will look GFS like by tomorrow and just hope that the GFS op doesn’t waltz off in yet another direction! 

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 hour ago, Frosty. said:

there is still uncertainty whether the uk will be hit full on or whether the strongest thrust of severe cold will be diverted further south into france.

This is the point i made earlier and is what the ukmo 12z shows although southern uk would still be in the firing line whereas further north would be dry and bright with light winds and not as cold...of course I want to see the high further north with a nationwide freeze but me wishing that won't make any difference, whatever will be will be!:)

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

• Like 4

Posted

the 12z ensembles not much use showing a direction they all widely different by t-144 but there are some crackers this is my favourite

gensnh-17-1-192.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

GEFS is excellent at 192, only a few being tempted by a supposed southwards movement. Ship steadying?

gensnh-21-1-192_enr3.png

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick123 said:

I'm so confused. Are things looking good??

Depends where you look and where you live. GEM, GFS control and GEFs good for all, GFS op better for the midlands northwards, UKMO not very convincing for anyone, ICON potentially poor for all.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

I'm so confused. Are things looking good??

For us turning cold yes , we might and it is just might miss the exceptionally cold air but nevertheless the cold is coming

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, ukpaul said:

Depends where you look and where you live. GEM, GFS control and GEFs good for all, GFS op better for the midlands northwards, UKMO not very convincing for anyone, ICON potentially poor for all.

Yes, that's a fair summary. 24 hours ago they pretty much all looked good. Still plenty of time for things to change.

• Like 1