Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - here comes the beast!

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

We also have a special post SSW cold spell discussion open here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89358-ssw-related-cold-spell-will-it-wont-it/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
Just now, ICE COLD said:

Good to see the GFS is right at the mild end of the suit and an outlier ?

That’s been a consistent theme lately IC ? fl should be taken with quite a pinch of salt imo on gfs. At least until we see some form of convergence with other ops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Now let us never speak of this again ? still scarred by that ☹️

ECM ens looking very good indeed still. 

E4FFE587-9E84-4FF1-A900-9331F8F80122.thumb.gif.58df768db82870262631a45fe262b488.gif

Something tells me the gfs is struggling in the medium - long term...

A -17C member in there for the 5th of March.

Ok.

• Like 1

Posted

Not a bad mean chart for next Friday. (Forgetting the 5 previous days of sub-12C uppers nationwide, of course). 

88D219A8-5967-4B2E-B17C-FB954AC257A6.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
24 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I wonder if there’s a way of reward with less risk.

It’s possible the low moves a bit further east into Iberia before turning ne so what we see is something like the nor easter in the eastern USA.

The low runs ne with the UK remaining on the cold side. The snow moves ne into the UK but doesn’t change over to rain and  the low becomes absorbed into the troughing over Scandi.

That would be great to see , it’s an unusual scenario but it would be apt given the unusual and stunning depth of cold for this late into the winter .

It's a tense moment with high risk and as usual, more runs needed to see how this will play out. Snowmageddon for all or a soggy mess by next weekend? Hopefully not the latter (per GFS) as it would be a sad and swift end to a potentially epic cold spell. 18z GEFs aren't making the picture any clearer - maybe a slight shift more in support of the Op run. The majority still keeping us on the cold side.

image.thumb.png.fc32fa8ee8cce42d1a0171c36bdb0e51.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted

Thursday/Friday

It's like a final episode of a 6-part TV thriller. The director filmed 3 different endings and even the lead actors/actresses dont know which one will actually be the final episode until the evening it airs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Cold weather.

With any snow next week, predicting it will be more of a nowcast situation.. But wonderful chart reading, worth putting in the memory stick.

jn.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

:D No I prefer whisky ! 

Who knows what will happen with that low but before then a lot to look forward to.

I’m so excited to see these synoptics for the UK.  I’m more interested in what happens re snow there than here.

I’m very lucky here, it’s so amazing to see the snow capped mountains everyday in winter so I’m sending all my luck to my fellow coldies who have had to put up with so many disappointments in the UK. :cold-emoji:

You have 'somewhat' undercut-yourself there nick!...

I would gladly have (brought-exported) you a bott!!!

Top stuff ASAWS..

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

If that control run comes off , the whole country will be tanked in snow . Is there many ens on the ecm looking like that MWB ? ?

About 25% of members have substantial snow across almost all areas of the UK by the end of next weekend.

Another 25% or so have a substantial snow event primarily in the south (SW favoured most).

And other runs either bring in milder air from the S so turning to rain eventually, and a fair group of runs see it miss completely and we stay in the easterly!

I fear we have days ahead of us of "will it won't it"

• Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

:D No I prefer whisky ! 

Who knows what will happen with that low but before then a lot to look forward to.

I’m so excited to see these synoptics for the UK.  I’m more interested in what happens re snow there than here.

I’m very lucky here, it’s so amazing to see the snow capped mountains everyday in winter so I’m sending all my luck to my fellow coldies who have had to put up with so many disappointments in the UK. :cold-emoji:

That is such a selfless statement and lovely to hear. Hope as many enjoy the fruits of this epic cold spell as possible. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

When this cold spell finally ends, will that be a Brrr-exit? 

Here's my take on the evolution:

Gradual increase in North Sea streamer production through Monday with an episode of heavy snow moving into northeast England late Monday and spreading to central counties by Tuesday, widespread near-blizzard conditions in Midlands, Yorkshire and northeast to Wednesday, more isolated streamers in southeast but some locally heavy.

Then this intriguing look of a looping moisture-laden low scraping into the edges of the cold and possibly making slight inroads into the south briefly with mixed precip but heavy snow likely to develop across large parts of southern England and Wales towards Friday 2nd. This could turn into a blizzard-like storm for Midlands and Wales as North Sea streamers are integrated into precip shield. 

Looks like a possible reload early next week.

These are certainly stunning charts that, if they verify, will produce weather to rival anything recorded in the past, at least the inter-glacial past. There may have been better charts around 18,000 B.C. but somebody erased the archives. 

Nothing for Scotland and Ireland then? I enjoy reading your posts and I'm sure many fellow folk north of the border do and the same across the Irish sea so perhaps you can include Scotland and Ireland in your thoughts? :)

Edited by Sawel
  • Like 2

Posted

Did not include Scotland or Ireland in my forecast, haven't had time to look at Scotland in any great detail looks to be mostly eastern half snow potential there, heavy snow potential in Northern Ireland especially eastern half. ROI my thoughts are posted elsewhere, widespread heavy snow potential especially central Leinster. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sawel said:

Nothing for Scotland and Ireland then? I enjoy reading your posts and I'm sure many fellow folk north of the border do and the same across the Irish sea so perhaps you can include the UK and Ireland in your thoughts? :)

When UK wide is mentioned in here, I often wonder if Northern Ireland is included in those statements ... purely because I want to understand the excellent analysis of charts provided here and the impacts across all areas ..... I am learning a lot though  keep up the great work people ?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

Did not include Scotland or Ireland in my forecast, haven't had time to look at Scotland in any great detail looks to be mostly eastern half snow potential there, heavy snow potential in Northern Ireland especially eastern half. ROI my thoughts are posted elsewhere, widespread heavy snow potential especially central Leinster. 

Thanks for the quick run through 

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowydog said:

When UK wide is mentioned in here, I often wonder if Northern Ireland is included in those statements ... purely because I want to understand the excellent analysis of charts provided here and the impacts across all areas ..... I am learning a lot though  keep up the great work people ?

There's a strong English bias because most posters are English. It is what it is and it's refreshing when posters discuss the UK as a whole and some do but plenty don't.

Edited by Sawel
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, Singularity said:

Thanks for your thoughts Nick.

My instinct tells me that surely it would take a well defined steering flow to push a low right into deep cold air, meaning this collapse of NE steering should serve to keep the low from making it right across the UK. Does that make sense or are the beers messing with my scientific sense?

Can’t help but entertain the prospect of a band of snow stalking across S England and then clearing to very slack, clear conditions with temps absolutely plummeting. Both from the point of view of being a fascinating event, and that of it being tragic for some wildlife, homeless people etc. So mixed emotions, but  that’s always going to be the case with the most severe manifestations of weather. It is what it is, for better or worse.

Agreed. I cant see that low blasting through the cold in situ. I can see it reaching the south and stalling before sliding away east. Closer to ECM than GFS... and a serious blizzard for some parts.

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sawel said:

There's a strong English bias because most posters are English. It is what it is and it's refreshing when posters discuss the UK as a whole and some do but plenty don't.

Also a strong South East bias.i like to think it's because they're all southern softies :D only joking I realise it' a demographic thing

• Like 3

Posted

I think the streamers will be more extensive than even the hi res models predict. I think we’ll see larger areas of precipitation moving east to west from the Thames estuary, and also through Hull across Yorkshire, the north Midlands and into Wales. Rather than showers, I think these areas will see more widespread snow. Takes me back to the same set up in 90’s when I was at school seeing the snow pile in on an easterly. I could be wrong, but it seems the same set up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, Singularity said:

Ohh yes. Hammered the Channel Islands while far-southerners wept into their cornflakes.

Too sodding true.... :-(

More sliders at 240 on GEM - classic spell approaches...

gem-0-240.png?12

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Too sodding true.... :-(

More sliders at 240 on GEM - classic spell approaches...

gem-0-240.png?12

Hmmm....like a conveyor belt on a production line

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way
28 minutes ago, Sawel said:

I was thinking exactly the same a couple of weeks ago when the last lot of snow and cold was being delivered day after day......Are they talking about the whole of the UK? Obviously not..... but hey we’re used to it!

• Like 1

Posted

This thread has a severe lack of posters from Scotland. Did the English scare you away? :p @lorenzo is a fairly familiar face...

the reason why Scotland isn’t probably being addressed as much well to be honest is often isn’t. Is due to wintriest conditions are looking further south and east in more immediate range. However this will change later next week looking at ECM and the snow could really pile in the eastern side of Scotland, which has seen the littlest in Scotland. So that’s nice. :)

T168 on ECM had a disturbance moving east to west over Scotland more especially north of Central belt. @Northernlights I think your snow is coming! I’d say all places will see something white that’s a rarity. 

A5C525BC-0FDF-4B61-8EB2-E3D8F22050AB.thumb.gif.3ffe6fcc9d1ad00e48fac7f7c0d2c562.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1