Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

March 2018 C.E.T. forecasts and optional EWP contest

The data used for the contest comes from this source:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/datasets/Rainfall/date/England_and_Wales.txt

where the entry is 109.0 mm. 

The value you've found is the Hadley set which I was using until early-mid Feb when stargazer alerted me to the existence of two sets, and the Hadley set was slow coming in that month, so I jumped ship and rescored the earlier months (only a few scores were affected). When you go to the download data page for UKP there's a link to "alternative England and Wales data set" (in the bullet points under the map) which takes you to the link I just posted.

You'll notice that in the contest announcements, I refer to both data sets for record values since Hadley goes back to 1766 and the met office set to 1910. But the contest normal values I quote now are from the UK met office series. They seem to be generally a bit lower. These are the comparative values so far in the contest period:

MONTH ____ met office __ Hadley

__ Dec _____ 108.8 _____ 113.5

__ Jan _____ 103.9 _____ 104.4

__ Feb ______ 49.6 ______ 51.7

__ Mar _____ 109.0 _____ 119.1

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now that the dust seems to have firmly settled, it's worth reiterating the daily record for the 1st (-3.8C). Not only was it a daily record, but also the fourth coldest March day on record. To put tha

-3.5 to the 1st 8.1 below the 61 to 90 average 8.5 below the 81 to 10 average ________________________________

My impression is that a large part of the reset from provisional to final CET is to remove values for max and (more often) min that are outside the boundaries of the 24-hour calendar day and to introd

Posted Images