Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the Pennines in the end. Should have gone to Teesdale, but there wasn't time, so settled for Weardale. Couple of shots...  

Here you go... I ventured fully out. 27991638_1593131500722016_1995411088115499008_n.mp4

Have to say the SE thread better than any soap opera. They're attacking each other cos some have snizzle and some dont, the place is in melt down.  Thank God for regionals and happy to see that w

Posted Images

Another 2 inches here overnight on top of the 5 inches yesterday, not bad for this side of the Pennies.

Strangely the showers when they arrive are heavier than the radar would indicate, usually its the other way round!

Snow showers aren't lasting much past Penrith so I suspect the Lake District has seen little snow overnight.

This must be the coldest snowiest start to spring on record, I certainly don't remember such deep snow and low temperatures in early March, maybe 1962 but I wasn't around then. 2013 here was pants so no contest there.

Andy

Edited by Penrith Snow
  • Like 1

A couple of extra inches last night, it looks like I got stuck under a streamer from about 1am for a few hours. I think those extra couple of inches are enough for me to declare this cold spell worse than 2010 in my area.

Snow machine looks to be stepping up a gear at the minute.

Showery activity looks very different n radar today, with the strong wind it is basically snowing lightly non-stop with severe drifting this morning.

4 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

A couple of extra inches last night, it looks like I got stuck under a streamer from about 1am for a few hours. I think those extra couple of inches are enough for me to declare this cold spell worse than 2010 in my area.

Snow machine looks to be stepping up a gear at the minute.

I am 10 miles from you.  Since the 4" from Monday night, I think there has been about another 1" here.  Amazing.

6 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Another 2 inches here overnight on top of the 5 inches yesterday, not bad for this side of the Pennies.

Strangely the showers when they arrive are heavier than the radar would indicate, usually its the other way round!

Snow showers aren't lasting much past Penrith so I suspect the Lake District has seen little snow overnight.

This must be the coldest snowiest start to spring on record, I certainly don't remember such deep snow and low temperatures in early March, maybe 1962 but I wasn't around then. 2013 here was pants so no contest there.

Andy

Yes no fresh snowfall here overnight, looks like northern parts of Cumbria saw more than southern parts overnight, however, the distribution may shift today, more of a direct easterly again.

Just now, Freezing-Point said:

I am 10 miles from you.  Since the 4" from Monday night, I think there has been about another 1" here.  Amazing.

Yeah it really has been quite hit and miss. I've just drove the other half to work at the RVI and there's a marked difference in snow levels between here and there.

3 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

i feel your pain fella! ive had an all night streamer about 3 mile north of me and one 3 mile south! 

Sadly only moved into the area in late 2013 so can’t ascertain how the build up of lying snow compares to other years. I’ve looked around and read about the heavy snow of jan 2013, the buildup from late november/December 2010 and winter 09/10. Of what I can gather 09/10 we’re no where near, getting closer to 2010 and just better than 2013? I haven’t looked any further back in history

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, gordonm said:

woke up to another night of pretty much missing everything!!!!! couldn't make it up!

Gutted for you mate, especially with your location!! Mind you we all want a bit of weather extremes that's our passion,but we in Teeside now have a Red Alert  from the Met,and the roads are dreadfull,the hospital will be straining etc...double edged sword is our passion....

Edited by Tanden Sparkster
Just now, Snow-mad-dave said:

Absolutely unbelievable!!! Lost for words!!! Is it right they are saying this cold spell is getting extended? 

Possibly certainly looks colder for Sunday. The models keep changing so who knows after that

Truly amazing out there like.  Just had the dog for a walk and I thought my face and hands were going to drop off.  Icicles hanging everywhere and deep thick snow.  At one point I was thigh deep in snow with the drifting.  Really exceptional this spell of weather and had another couple of inches over night.  Happy days!

The region has transformed in to Narnia!

Edited by P-M
  • Like 1