Far north and northeast of England - regional chat

1 minute ago, evans1892 said:

I work there and it was already pretty deep this morning!

You said you worked at County Hall i think?  You know the road that comes up from Morpeth, past the Sun Inn and up the hill.  Just at the top there is the golf course.  Back in Feb 1991 it was blocked there by massive drifts during a night of very frequent snow showers and strong winds.  Cant see it getting that bad, would it would be good....

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the Pennines in the end. Should have gone to Teesdale, but there wasn't time, so settled for Weardale. Couple of shots...  

Here you go... I ventured fully out. 27991638_1593131500722016_1995411088115499008_n.mp4

Have to say the SE thread better than any soap opera. They're attacking each other cos some have snizzle and some dont, the place is in melt down.  Thank God for regionals and happy to see that w

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Freezing-Point said:

You said you worked at County Hall i think?  You know the road that comes up from Morpeth, past the Sun Inn and up the hill.  Just at the top there is the golf course.  Back in Feb 1991 it was blocked there by massive drifts during a night of very frequent snow showers and strong winds.  Cant see it getting that bad, would it would be good....

Can hope! There was almost nothing in Blyth earlier when passing by.

4 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Parden my amateurness,  what are you looking at for a trough feature on those fax charts?  I guess its a dip in the isobars, but cant see any?

5 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

I can see 3 troughs due in the next 24hrs that look like hitting us.  The first should be hitting this evening and the other 2 tomorrow.....  Could bring periods of prolonged heavy snow with blizzard conditionsimage.thumb.png.e8e86c53ca8c2a4b71f9cd8c216d13c0.pngimage.thumb.png.55afe97cfe7645b77ee2000f2f19ee18.png

This is one trough i have found, which ties in with euro 4 predictions for shower activity to increase...15-515UK.thumb.gif.49b8ee1262e1171334e0075e756ab447.gif  18022806_2712.thumb.gif.375b3e56eab99a7e725b69519c1ca873.gif

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Just having a look at how things stand

Currently, we have an east to northeasterly wind

Untitled.thumb.png.b330991be4c98e4821bc19dd38bb33e5.png

By tomorrow morning this is predicted to go more southeasterly but remaining more easterly for Scotland

Untitled1.thumb.png.ddaab7652ffffd23b6c98649941bdde0.png

Ya not a sailor are you Gavin..!! More ESE than a straight Sou'easterly

• Haha 1

Updated met office forecast

This Evening and Tonight:

Feeling raw, with frequent, locally heavy and thundery snow showers blowing in on a strengthening northeasterly wind. Significant snow accumulation is expected, especially in upland areas, with drifting of lying snow possible. Minimum temperature -10 °C.

Wednesday:

Bitterly cold, with some sunny intervals but also further snow accumulation from frequent and occasionally heavy snow showers moving in from the North Sea. Winds easing a little later on. Maximum temperature -1 °C.

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Remaining very cold with widespread severe frosts, however temperatures very gradually climbing. Easterly winds will continue to bring scattered snow showers, although becoming fewer compared to earlier in the week.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gordonm said:

can anyone explain why the wind gets so much stronger when the precipitation arrives? so it goes calm while the sky is clear then wild when it starts snowing?

It's something to do with the fact they're convective I think. 

• Like 1

Moderate snow shower again, noticed a bit of a covering from some of the blank patches in the ground over the past two hours. Still waiting for these heavier showers though. We certainly had heavy showers with bigger flakes last night

image.thumb.png.cc0060f6832efb2a44bb5a381a245ede.png

3 minutes ago, gordonm said:

can anyone explain why the wind gets so much stronger when the precipitation arrives? so it goes calm while the sky is clear then wild when it starts snowing?

Probably because the showers are convective and thus creating strong updrafts.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Snowmaggedon said:

It’s looking good for us in the South of the region all of a sudden isn’t it mate. 

Ridiculously heavy snow. My path, garden road have all of a sudden merged into one.

4 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

It’s looking good for us in the South of the region all of a sudden isn’t it mate. 

If it matches the intensity of those we've had here in the last couple of hours, this next one could dump a hefty load.

Edited by Darandio