Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

I am tempted to post only the very best eye-candy charts which I could hand pick from the many showing in the models 8 to 10 days away but I am going to keep my focus on the 23rd February which was the date, three or four days ago, when the models were predicting the start of this cold spell.  The models have swung to and fro over the last few days but this is what they are now showing for 23/02/18:

ECM     image.thumb.gif.e14b2d70a284aa312cd87edd7ed1f092.gif  image.thumb.gif.1e065c4abb67cf98f000e0bcd014de0f.gif

GFS      image.thumb.png.a5acde771e5e96308ea41cea0e1cec50.png  image.thumb.png.8d098c99512f367068a33b1f078796f6.png

GEM     image.thumb.png.fb45ceed9ee22b8d1d451253bfb059c6.png  image.thumb.png.e3d1a5f06e7e054765a09447d0b63d57.png

JMA      image.thumb.gif.c2a644cf8fca833072bc5b419ade309d.gif   image.thumb.gif.05541aadcdece9d33576acd0dcfc614d.gif

I have been looking for convergence between them all and there are more similarities today than before, but still no overall agreement.  At least they are all showing a definite easterly/south easterly flow so it's on the way....   GEM wins the prize for bringing the coldest air furthest west at the earliest date but in fairness the other models are all going in the same direction (of course, there are some eye watering charts in later days but these are less likely to be accurate at this range).

The UKMO is also going the right way at the end of the available run:

UKMO.  image.thumb.gif.f6498d9200db60d5cc262bfbf4068051.gif.  image.thumb.gif.0d5d0395dff08539af535671d44e88c4.gif

If all these charts continue to show the same evolution then it is certainly 'when' and not 'if' we see some below average cold conditions with at least a few places recording record low daytime temperatures for this time of year.  I am definitely going back to ALDI to see if they have got any of those snow shovels left, but don't tell anyone else or they might sell out before I can there....

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Ecm rolling out soon. Watch it bloody flip lol. Interesting model watch this weekend. If easterly wins out, then this weekend we should see big changes and more eye candy hopefully. The small changes in the short range up to 72, will have an impact on next weeks weather! The models always struggle with heights until near reliable timeframe. So defo think we will see upgrades again. I havent seen this many easterlies modelled in a while, something surely os brewing?

Edited by Snowjokes92

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Decent Easterly at 96hrs on the ECM

I'd wager that "game on" can start to be brought out of the word bucket..

96hr.thumb.gif.1eb17df6c6ae4a51ac27271b75f41dbe.gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM looks Good at T72

ECM1-72.GIF?16-0

96 is better 120should be a cracker! 

• Like 1

Posted

This is gonna be fantastic fromtve ECM- Freezer by next Thurs, maybe even Wed.

edit - Make that by Tuesday for the SE -6c uppers in by lunchtime - poss flurries starting 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Beast incoming @96... things moving on a more rapid note now....

12z ecm likely to be an amazing run.

ECM1-96.gif

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

T96

ECM1-96.GIF?16-0

Could those Highs link to form Ely pretty early?

Issue is the lack of decent pressure gradient over the Mediterranean and the anticyclone not being able to migrate north as a result of the energy going over the top. In that situation I doubt an easterly, if it did occur, would last long. 

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Ecm  at 120 is drifting NE is going to pull even colder uppers west:cold:

Edited by snowice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

It is almost a perfect path by the ECM just to pile cold air in, Easy game this and only 5 days away. Don`t know why I was worried...

ECH0-120.GIF?16-0

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Issue is the lack of decent pressure gradient over the Mediterranean and the anticyclone not being able to migrate north as a result of the energy going over the top. In that situation I doubt an easterly, if it did occur, would last long. 

Energy can not go over the top when westerlies are decelerating from the SSW. You have to second guess the charts in this scenario and 120 is case in point. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, snowice said:

144 is a boom:bomb:

No denying it - this is now looking odds on for something really special 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

well the met office still see a lengthy cold spell from the east as a strong possibility thanks to the SSW,  despite the  recent constant flip flopping of the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Wollop!!!!

Real polar continental flow...and we are in the freezer...

I said b4..i'll say again text book convention synops...

#impactual #snow...

ECM1-144.gif

ECM0-144.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

This right here is exactly what we want to see.

ECM.thumb.gif.bbf7168ed52ccb86c60c0115f5f0f276.gif

Low pressure underneath the high edging Northwards putting forcing on the blocking high keeping it in situ, meanwhile CAA from the East allow the uppers to get colder and colder. Snow showers into the SE/EA by day 6.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, inghams85 said:

Energy can not go over the top when westerlies are decelerating from the SSW. You have to second guess the charts in this scenario and 120 is case in point. 

Think you are slightly confused. Westerly's in the stratosphere you mean? The winds that influence our level at 2M are atmospheric pressure at 3 miles, the troposphere. The stratosphere is 6 miles up. It's whether or not those reversal in winds propagate down to what impacts us the most that is important. The jetstream is just a little higher up than the troposphere so that will feel the affects first but may stay just active enough at the current date of interest,.

We might have to wait until a little longer before we MAY feel it's full impact. 

• Like 1