Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

The thing I like about both the ECM 12 hrs and GFS 18 hrs run is the core of height rises is to the north then edges to the ne.

So the UK isn’t at the flabby end of the block as the cold pool advances .

Think of the core heights as the shepherd and his dog and the deep cold the flock of sheep.

If you have that strong block in a good position  it acts to force the sheep into line!

I must stop with these bizarre analogies! :D

Happy days. We are discussing the position and the shape of the block one likes:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy drifting snow.
1 hour ago, Raythan said:

Hope the snow gets in at day 6/7 @Catacol Iv never seen a Calcutta cup played with an orange ball ! Didn’t follow this crazy hobby in 2010 , but I quite imagine this was what it was like ! 

Actually the build up to December 2010 had a similar feeling to this,  the feeling that the charts were completely unnatural for these isles and also that nagging feeling that they couldn't really happen. There were several days in a row like the day just past,  with fantastic charts as the models honed in on the superbly wintery scenario that we all know unfolded. 

December 2012 still lingers in the mind too- the easterly that never was. This time looks very different though, almost all the teleconnections are playing ball and we have a record breaking SSW thrown in for good measure.  

Downgrades are likely to some extent as we are still talking well into FI before the real cold arrives and so the models will play around with the various outcomes but on the other hand if this is actually going to happen,  expect the unexpected I.e more ridiculous charts over the next few days.  

I'm expecting this 18z GFS run to not stand out so much in 48hours time... 

Edited by The Enigma
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Funny that ICON the model that led the way is now the one falling behind - or at least going for a much slower evolution to worthwhile easterly than previously.

Now going for a UK high which we would have to hopefully wait for to retrogress - no thanks. It is too late in the season to keep chasing, let's just land this thing.

iconnh-0-180.png?18-00

I'm hoping GFS Op has a handle on this because it has shown a pretty clear route from where it was previously to where it now going. You can pretty much see the run to run progression - and it is good.

gfsnh-0-126.pnggfsnh-0-120.pnggfsnh-0-114.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
14 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

UKMO solid @144 - 8/10

But GFS looking great @120 !!

Here are UKMO GFS comparisons at 144 since you are on mobile. Different ideas but both great in their won way.

UN144-21.GIF?18-05gfsnh-0-144.png

UKMO looks like some GFS earlier output yesterday.

EDit

I'm sure some would be happy with this little snow maker running down the East coast. Who knows what surprises may crop up when we get nearer the time.

gfsnh-0-168.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted

GFS looks risky, with the centre of the high pressure far away to the north. UKMO and GFS very different, wouldn't mind a middle ground!

Edited by metaltron
I'd be tempted to choose the UKMO, but don't know what comes next!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

I have to say the run in to the SSW has been stellar to watch. Even with its ups and downs, like many say the positioning is not guaranteed to help us but the UK has certainly been gifted the block this time round.

Theres nowt getting past that block

S80218-04191934.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

GEM a bit slower but also a little safer and here by day 10

gemnh-0-240.png?00gemnh-1-240.png?00

GFS, here comes the Atlantic...

gfsnh-0-144.png

There goes the Atlantic...

gfsnh-0-192.png

Edited by Mucka

Posted

Wow, great night/morning for upgrades and confirmation that a BIG FREEZE is nearly upon us. . Latest GFS showing lots of snow by end of this week 

• Like 2

Posted

Great run but GFS once again has the upper high too far north for my liking. Ukmo better for sustained cold.

GFS basically pulls a Feb 09 and blows up a big snow event and then basically the cold is done by 240hrs. Id perfer a slightly slower and longer lasting evolution personally then a 3 day wonder shot then done.

• Like 3

Posted

For anyone who is confused about my above post take a look at ensemble member 2 to see why the upper high setting up too far north is bad...cold doesnt even make it and we end up under a SE. Its not on its own either. 

MUST get the core HP a little south. Itsgoing to have huge bust potential if not and itd be a shame to waste a near perfect solution on a 36hrs quickie.

Posted
34 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Great run but GFS once again has the upper high too far north for my liking. Ukmo better for sustained cold.

GFS basically pulls a Feb 09 and blows up a big snow event and then basically the cold is done by 240hrs. Id perfer a slightly slower and longer lasting evolution personally then a 3 day wonder shot then done.

The GEFS are certainly taking the Easterly flow to our North on a fair few, not a great trend and one that will hopefully vanish and it’s not all GEFS - some are still awesome. We still get v cold for a fair few days, hopefully ECM shows something a little more prolonged.

THE CONTROL IS A ? for longevity but out on its own.

0E704369-67DE-47D3-B108-411285299073.png

Edited by Ali1977

6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The GEFS are certainly taking the Easterly flow to our North on a fair few, not a great trend and one that will hopefully vanish and it’s not all GEFS - some are still awesome. We still get v cold for a fair few days, hopefully ECM shows something a little more prolonged.

THE CONTROL IS A ? 

Surely we are going to go through a second period of model volatility like we have just been through with how it has handled the warming with how they handle how things will pan out come the second warming? 

We have got the first part getting there with heights to the north east and an easterly looking on the cards now we have to wait and see how the next part of volatility works out with concerns to the second warming 

Posted
2 minutes ago, ScottishSnowStorm said:

Surely we are going to go through a second period of model volatility like we have just been through with how it has handled the warming with how they handle how things will pan out come the second warming? 

We have got the first part getting there with heights to the north east and an easterly looking on the cards now we have to wait and see how the next part of volatility works out with concerns to the second warming 

Yeah, discussing GEFS beyond day 5 during an SSW is probably a little fruitless it has to be said, they have been all over the shot beyond then for a few days I guess.

• Like 1