Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

& another boom to end the run... look at the proportion of the block- alligned perfect  to the strat-

4AAE028E-D341-4173-92F8-EC9D42009277.thumb.png.f04d246d53c2309a5908c5379bf3278d.png

Steve, where are you sat today, 5% or are you going to nudge higher? This 10 days away thing is starting to grate me unfortunately.

Posted

Temperature deviation for the 26th:

ECMOPEU12_216_34.thumb.png.f3134d1f0ce6a2d711775746cf4cc3ca.png

Obviously analysed outside of the reliable timeframe but it shows what will very likely be heading our way. Between 12°c-15°c below average at 4000 feet. Down at sea level that will transpire to maximum temperatures at or several degrees below freezing. Probably slightly colder than at the start of March 1986. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Previous run still had the cold air to our east at 240 hours. This run has the cold air spreading in at 216 hours. A step in the right direction for cold. The GFS too has moved things closer. Not long ago it had the cold not arriving until the start of March instead of the end of next weekend.

It's certainly a step in the right direction, no disputing that. However most of us in here spend far too long drooling over fantasy island charts.

That's said the easterly is now well within the reliable time frame, so the key is keeping it long enough to get the real deep freeze weather in and having snowfall including in the package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I just wish it was only 48 hours away, if the ECM sticks with that theme and then veryifys - between now and then would feel as long as 10 x Xmas eves as a child. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Once the modelling gets to 120hrs and down then I'll be a believer, watching the GFS for any possible 'bad' trends...sometimes it picks them before the ECM.

Lets just hope this isn't going going to be known as 'that SSW' in years to come. :)

Posted
2 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Looking at ECM today brought up memories of February 2012

It will be interesting to see what max temps will be if this verifies.

I believe that was the last time in which the river in Amsterdam froze over. Will probably happen this year judging by the surface cold. 

Posted

Keep an eye out for troughs developing into something bigger in the easterly flow before it gets here...this can hamper the deep cold getting to our shores. A few GFS perbs have shown this sort of thing and on the 12z op run.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Steve, where are you sat today, 5% or are you going to nudge higher? This 10 days away thing is starting to grate me unfortunately.

I think 75-80% to day 6 around GFS / UKMO / ECM all being similar

60% now for -10c air to hit UK

20-30% for deep cold sub -11c.

Evolution has now edged to 168-192 ...

JMA 192 is to the party as well now 

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 9

Posted

Anyone concerned the coldest uppers could drift south of us as has happened so many times in the past? Or am I worrying too much? ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
22 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

GFS at 192hrs

gfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.b50737305343e01a4ffa2afe650b2579.png

ECM at 240hrs

ECH1-240-3.thumb.gif.180cf5e0b6abad8c062529268e70940f.gif

the beast is (apparently) coming... its just a matter of when...

I agree and this isn't based on any scientific analysis at all but I think not only will this happen but with the added bonus that it will be brought forward by 24-48 hours

The models will start to accelerate the Easterly over the next couple of days

Edited by LRD

Posted
3 minutes ago, Southender said:

Anyone concerned the coldest uppers could drift south of us as has happened so many times in the past? Or am I worrying too much? ?

Book the holiday to Greece now..? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

A super ending to the Ecm 12z which would be even more amazing beyond day 10..I'm hoping the current trend continues..actually hope it speeds up a bit:D and that by next weekend the anticipation / excitement levels will be very high for a major very cold outbreak from the east!..:cold::) 

216_thickuk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850.png

240_thickuk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_thick.png

240_mslp850.png

240_mslp500.png

• Like 5

Posted
19 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If this cold does hit the UK I’m sure some in here are going to be unable to sleep with excitement !

The actual cold pool is quite wide , but of course getting the perfect track this far out is difficult given the timeframes.

I would love to see at least sub -15 850s together with those lower heights getting into the UK.

At least no worries about slush or marginal dew points and the North Sea would become a convection machine !

hope the net weather servers are well oiled this place will melt down as the charts are so good,this takes me back 6 years in march when i started my new job as a temp!! with temp off _12 in the daylight  must have  got through  i tas im  full time still there:yahoo::cold:

Edited by tinybill
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
12 minutes ago, tinybill said:

hope the net weather servers are well oiled this place will melt down as the charts are so good,this takes me back 6 years in march when i started my new job as a temp!! with temp off _12 in the daylight  must have  got through  i tas imf ull time still there:yahoo::cold:

Nice to see the ECM come on board with an Easterly flow as early as 72hrs. There is a risk that the high will be too far South to allow deep cold into the UK, that's always a risk in these setups but generally all models eventually shift the high Northwards and bring the real cold air into the UK.

We're sitting in a good place at the moment, we can relax a little now and watch the cold creep Westwards through Europe.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Perfect ECM completely in line with meto outlook

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Southender said:

I don’t think you are worrying too much. I suspect the milder ensembles would be showing central Southern Europe in the freezer with milder uppers spilling over the top of them. That said, the nearer these sort of charts get into the reliable, the more likely they will verify. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

UKMO extended picking up an SE'ly flow

ukm2.2018022412_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.0e61f2051ac027cc0d4566d82b339d66.png

Difficult to tell how similar this is compared to the ecm and GFS at 168 but both have a south easterly (particularly the ecm) - without the chart moving to the east it's a bit tricky to see - but certainly looks like some continuity there. 

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
32 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If this cold does hit the UK I’m sure some in here are going to be unable to sleep with excitement !

The actual cold pool is quite wide , but of course getting the perfect track this far out is difficult given the timeframes.

I would love to see at least sub -15 850s together with those lower heights getting into the UK.

At least no worries about slush or marginal dew points and the North Sea would become a convection machine !

It will miss Redhill....? ?

BFTP

Document1.docx