Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Post SSW - Will it turn cold?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted

FWIW take a look at the 12z ECM between 96-216hrs, and then look at the evolution of Jan 1987. Nearly identical. Won't be quite as cold at the surface purely because its almost March and the day is that much longer, but sub zero maxes by 240hrs for sure!

Great run and the upper high was perfectly placed.

• Like 3

Posted

Great ECM by 216 with v v cold air hitting our shores, surely looking at T192 or even earlier it would only take a very minor adjustment to bring this much earlier - I expect the ENS will show this. 

Edit - 240 is ridiculously cold 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted

I love it, watching the models swing from one side of the equation to the other. Last run was a major cold spell, and now,it suddenly becomes spring like. I will now put my Siberian hat back in the box !..until the next run,of course :-)

Posted

Things looked primed for this from roughly day 4 my gut was right this is very important to watch regarding too much energy I think that’s nonsensical it’s all about alignment of HP and stuff in near continent.  

Posted

Wow again at the end,but the Easterly is already certain beforehand ,many great cold spells of past have easterlies just getting colder and colder as the days go by:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Deep Snow please said:

Always in the fantasy island though. Caution advised here, there's very little chance of that making it to it's own t+24.

I disagree it was all set up to deliver well before this. This is just as likely as any other all cold.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Unprecedented cold on the way for this time of year... BOOOM!

9333FD1C-C938-4CAA-BCDA-197AE875170F.thumb.png.968b038d8ba4bb39b05307f896ae7ab0.png830700A9-D997-47D3-91B0-37EB2917732B.thumb.png.772a5ee90c73fbcb0c99c45827d8a018.png

It’s still 9 days out...cautious optimism required 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, SLEETY said:

Wow again at the end,but the Easterly is already certain beforehand ,many great cold spells of past have easterlies just getting colder and colder as the days go by:yahoo:

My memories of Easterly events is just that, colder and colder with snowfall usually taking about a week. Great model runs tbh with slight upgrades always possible!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

& another boom to end the run... look at the proportion of the block- alligned perfect  to the strat-

4AAE028E-D341-4173-92F8-EC9D42009277.thumb.png.f04d246d53c2309a5908c5379bf3278d.png

Got to think the upper block is going to refocus towards Greenland by say 288hrs on this run,especially as the jet is still diving south-eastwards in the Atlantic. Certainly an epic run from the ECM, much better than the 12z GFS by a long shot (with the caveat that the 12z GFS itself is still decent.)

Worth noting that whilst far out, the building blocks for that cold easterly fall into place around 120hrs. If that is ok, the rest has a decent chance of evolving cold, though the longevity is still uncertain.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

Always in the fantasy island though. Caution advised here, there's very little chance of that making it to it's own t+24.

Yup would be nice too see if entering the reliable time frame of T96. Still a cool down definite as to how much time will tell. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
Just now, Deep Snow please said:

I'm quite aware of being cautious but it's not like it's just come out of no where there's been very cold runs the last few days and METO on board, so I'm aloud to get a tiny bit excited ? 

• Like 5

Posted

Wouldn’t it be great if this ECM run verified.

It would be really exciting to follow the now named by BA Wall of Russian Cold heading west and seeing those temps plummeting.

The ECM has an almost perfect block set up later. You can see though some shortwave activity is likely to form as that crosses the warmer North Sea .

That could be interesting as it hits the UK!

• Like 2

Posted

Previous run still had the cold air to our east at 240 hours. This run has the cold air spreading in at 216 hours. A step in the right direction for cold. The GFS too has moved things closer. Not long ago it had the cold not arriving until the start of March instead of the end of next weekend.

The real cold is still beyond the reliable time frame but it is being consistently shown, has been brought forward overall and the building blocks for it are in place closer to the reliable time frame.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, c00ps said:

It’s still 9 days out...cautious optimism required 

That’s not the point here it was aligned much more favourable that was evident from day 3/4 and as such we see this it’s not surprising this relative short time frame is crucial. We’ll know by Monday,