Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

20 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

Oh it had to be done 😁 with next day delivery 😂

Screenshot_20180225-100024.png

Pity you’re miles from where I live would’ve been good to test out the differently designed sledges!!, I’ve got an old Blue Peter designed one somewhere in the shed, it’s was made on a psychiatric inpatient ward and I rescued it from the rubbish tip when the unit was closed down and moved to a newer building!

35 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

This is encouraging....

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/europe.php?icao=EGLL

Snow showers beginning at midnight, but this is at Heathrow, so earlier further east.

And Gatwick from midnight. Light snow showers 30% from midnight and then greater confidence from the morning onwards. 

D7DB27E6-503E-4B63-BA7B-AEFADA84D8AE.png

15 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

The important point re Friday is that on focusing on what happens afterwards ie it turns to rain (If it does) we lose sight of the disruption and chaos it will bring. 

Blizzards anyone actually been in one? 

They represent a real  danger to life and it doesn't matter if your rural or in a major town, things will go down hill very quickly, people will get isolated very quickly as emergency services struggle to cope with demand and conditions 

Wise words 

22 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

Oh it had to be done 😁 with next day delivery 😂

Screenshot_20180225-100024.png

just need to find a hill on Canvey ;-)

personally i'd head up Essex Way, bit of a stretch but great fun careering down :D

I don’t understand the obsession with Friday when we have a very good chance of deep snow cover over wide parts of our region over the coming days, let’s enjoy that and worry about Friday later in the week. It’s ruining this thread.

lets enjoy!

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Pity you’re miles from where I live would’ve been good to test out the differently designed sledges!!, I’ve got an old Blue Peter designed one somewhere in the shed, it’s was made on a psychiatric inpatient ward and I rescued it from the rubbish tip when the unit was closed down and moved to a newer building!

you might want to check the brakes . . . .

Just now, Easily sled said:

I don’t understand the obsession with Friday when we have a very good chance of deep snow cover over wide parts of our region over the coming days, let’s enjoy that and worry about Friday later in the week. It’s ruining this thread.

lets enjoy!

some sad people will never venture from their computers even if its snowing outside!!. Preferring to look at a breakdown. My advice get outside and enjoy the weather not view on a screen when the beast arrives!

20 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

Blizzards anyone actually been in one? 

They represent a real  danger to life and it doesn't matter if your rural or in a major town, things will go down hill very quickly, people will get isolated very quickly as emergency services struggle to cope with demand and conditions 

My bosses will still make me and my colleagues go out in it. After all everyone has to have their junk mail and bills 

21 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Sorry can't get rid of the quote box.

have fun sledging everyone, but there is always a tragedy occurring  when we get snow, cos it's a relative rarity.

so if you've got older kids, who are gonna go out on their own, warn them to check for fences and obstacles which may or may not be hidden by snow.All to often overlooked in the excitement of a speed run  down a hill.

stay safe and have fun!

GFS 06z smelling the coffee ?

Already a better evolution and the possibility for a further adjustment south - looking better for Fridays main event

222.JPG

6 minutes ago, Easily sled said:

lets enjoy!

Showers !!!! Not everyone...

Frontel snow ... Everyone !!

1 hour ago, snowfish1 said:

The low is not going to be pinpointed until I would say Tuesday. Another ssw event occurring as we speak and to top that off a very cold met office update which indicates a continuation of the cold spell well into March everywhere. Any thoughts people??

I’d say this is a long way from being resolved. The double SSW is very rare and will play havoc with the atmosphere and hence, the models. We could all be in 15C air next week, or in a proper freeze. Plenty of valuable analysis on here from some very intelligent people, I’d say the Met Office is usually a safe bet though I’m sure there’s some interesting discussions going on there about the next couple of weeks.

Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days - Updated: 01:53 on Sun 25 Feb 2018 GMT

UK Outlook for Thursday 1 Mar 2018 to Saturday 10 Mar 2018:
March will begin very cold with sunshine and snow showers, these continuing to bring some accumulations especially across eastern parts. Friday could see heavier and disruptive snow developing across southern and some central areas, combined with strong to gale force easterly winds, leading to blizzard conditions. However, there is a lot of uncertainty with this. Thereafter, it is likely to remain very cold through early March with further snow showers in the east and southeast. The best of the sunshine is likely in the west, but all areas will feel bitterly cold in strong winds with a significant wind chill. Overnight frost will be widespread and severe in places. At times, it may turn more unsettled and less cold across the west and southwest.

UK Outlook for Sunday 11 Mar 2018 to Sunday 25 Mar 2018:
The start of this period is likely to remain very cold across much of the UK, with bitterly cold easterly winds giving a significant wind chill. There will continue to be a risk of snow across southern, eastern and some central areas, but in the north and west it should be drier. Frosts will continue to be widespread and severe in places. As we head towards the middle of March it may turn more unsettled and less cold with milder and wetter weather spreading up from the south or southwest. This may lead to further significant snow in places although this remains very uncertain. Northern areas may hang on to the colder weather well into March.

Stunning morning here looking out directly east towards Brentwood. Still quite pleasant in the sun and actually ok wearing a tee shirt (nothing on bottom half, just a tee shirt, lol). 

Looking forward to hopefully a week of fun and games culminating hopefully in a blizzard on Friday. Come on weather gods, make this one to remember - the cold never bothered me anyway. 

20180225_103236.jpg

5 minutes ago, craigore said:

Showers !!!! Not everyone...

Frontel snow ... Everyone !!

Who mentioned everyone?

Just now, Roadrunner said:

Stunning morning here looking out directly east towards Brentwood. Still quite pleasant in the sun and actually ok wearing a tee shirt (nothing on bottom half, just a tee shirt, lol). 

Looking forward to hopefully a week of fun and games culminating hopefully in a blizzard on Friday. Come on weather gods, make this one to remember - the cold never bothered me anyway. 

20180225_103236.jpg

Identical here in Cobham Surrey - just been out for a run with the dog amazing dry air and clear skies like the High desert in California. Although it’s 2c and a dp if -4.3 would be happier if these started falling soon ....

Interesting that the MET Office are still going for remaining cold with 'Further snow showers in the South and East'  into March; it doesn't mention any milder interludes at all. I'm quite new to all this so please forgive me - but if the low does so further South giving us snow, would that keep us in the Easterly pattern, and if so, roughly how long would that be for? Cheers in advance. 

Looking forward to the rest of the coming week before then though! :)

3 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Identical here in Cobham Surrey - just been out for a run with the dog amazing dry air and clear skies like the High desert in California. Although it’s 2c and a dp if -4.3 would be happier if these started falling soon ....

I think we’ll see an early high with temperatures and dp’s dropping off this afternoon as the lower uppers make inroads.

9 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days - Updated: 01:53 on Sun 25 Feb 2018 GMT

UK Outlook for Thursday 1 Mar 2018 to Saturday 10 Mar 2018:
March will begin very cold with sunshine and snow showers, these continuing to bring some accumulations especially across eastern parts. Friday could see heavier and disruptive snow developing across southern and some central areas, combined with strong to gale force easterly winds, leading to blizzard conditions. However, there is a lot of uncertainty with this. Thereafter, it is likely to remain very cold through early March with further snow showers in the east and southeast.

Certainly seems like the Met office are still going with the slider low solution and keeping the cold air in place. I'll feed back what the ensembles show, but the 06z GFS just showing the first signs of shift back to total snow...

21 minutes ago, bluebell said:

When I was young when we def had snow in the winter my dad found an old battered wooden sledge he fixed it up polished up the metal runners it even had a brake lol.  Here on canvey we have the heights be a nice run down for my boy - I'm not getting on it 😂😂

23 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

just need to find a hill on Canvey ;-)

personally i'd head up Essex Way, bit of a stretch but great fun careering down :D

We'e got the heights top of my road (used to be the dump lol) I'll wave across to you Leigh and southend peeps. Essex way omg imagine that to try driving up or down 🤣

The day has a true polar continental feel about it with the blue sky and dry cold air, yet the sun feels warm. The last time I can remember this was Feb 2012 when the Easterly only just made it across our region and then a front stalled over us from the West. This was the next day and boy it was cold!

I am hoping some showers make it this far west and we all see some snow!

3290CBBA-BF17-4234-B788-83552D530AA0.jpeg

Edited by 80sWeather