Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
15 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Evening CK, yes, Thames Valley could do very well again though lots of other places will do very well if you catch one of these streamers. 

Pretty tired this evening from work as the cold kicked in with the wind earlier it drains you. That's just the beginning.. 

I don't think I've ever seen what we are about to enter being shown next week. Showers go from Sunday night and lasting most of the week before something very very special may happen.. 

I’m in the same boat as you when it comes to streamers, but what amazes me is the depth of cold. When was the last time we saw sub -10hpa in our neck of the woods for several days.....maybe 2010?? Now add lower pressure to the south and a good easterly profile. I’m betting this streamer won’t be a perfect straight line. I think it’ll be a larger area of snow moving east to west across the region. The UHI effect might also boost precipitation to the west of the capital.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

I don’t want power Daniel   :sorry:.... I want pure white ,deep , crunchy under the foot snow ! Snow you can play with ... yes it’s a tall order so please Mother Nature don’t disappoint 

Me too ;)

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Only powder next week for all.... :) I'm so excited and rightfully so....

Good on ya mate, we've worked damn hard for it:yahoo: 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 hours ago, essexweather said:

What the hell have they done to BBC Weather these days. Just dreadful.

National forecast at 6.27pm said 'Wintry showers next week' and no mention of the weather warnings in place.

Has the new provider told presenters to dumb down forecasts? No wonder why so many forecasters are jumping ship back to the Met Office.

Very true. In the national broadcasts they don’t seem to be talking it up apart from saying next week very cold with snow in places. No mention either of the Met Office warnings.

At least Chris Fawkes (BBC weather presenter) is making more of a big deal about it on Twitter:

2477FDE2-EFB9-49C1-A980-29EEB196CA0B.jpeg

Edited by danm
  • Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

I don’t want power Daniel   :sorry:.... I want pure white ,deep , crunchy under the foot snow ! Snow you can play with ... yes it’s a tall order so please Mother Nature don’t disappoint 

Powder to the people!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
7 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

All dictators start off by saying they don't want power... :rofl:

(EDIT: Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

On a serious note, the east of the region could see some substantial snow accumulations. I know we all want this, but don’t forget the elderly and vulnerable.

I’m not expecting much here in east berks.....to start.

The only surprise so far has been the low DPs

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

You can shut it mr sno or I won’t share my lamp post info :fool:

I need you (and especially your lamp-post)! :D You are my designated lamp watcher!

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
1 minute ago, Sno' problem said:

I need you (and especially your lamp-post)! :D You are my designated lamp watcher!

I've recently has LED lighting put in - was a bit sceptical at first but it's great for watching snow at night :)

Posted
26 minutes ago, Crystal Memories said:

Same as Deal lol looking forward to seeing these showers curve around us :wallbash:

I really don’t think any area will miss out in east Kent. This feels like the run up to the February 2010 snow streamer we had locally but 10 times better!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Keep your powder ,and I will raise you my crunchy ... here comes someone with a crunchy bar pic 

And I raise you Linda Lovelace...

Posted
3 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

On a serious note, the east of the region could see some substantial snow accumulations. I know we all want this, but don’t forget the elderly and vulnerable.

I’m not expecting much here in east berks.....to start.

The only surprise so far has been the low DPs

It is still very much hit and miss for the inland areas of our region, plus the coastal areas might suffer slightly from the warmth of the sea. That is probably why places like Dover, Deal etc are not within the MetOffice warning areas.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

you DO want power!

1e31d72d-a82f-4f13-8700-3f4e88c58642.thumb.jpg.8d441503be45c38f094eb96b3e111156.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

my nearest lamp post now has an uber powerful LED lamp. I will see snow that's microscopic 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
Just now, fluid dynamic said:

my nearest lamp post now has an uber powerful LED lamp. I will see snow that's microscopic 

yes, that's what I have - great at picking up snowflakes and can't wait to see next weeks blizzard :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, CK1981 said:

I’ve not been on here for a while because I let my emotions get carried away with me, and got annoyed about posts directed at me which I should have ignored. I would like to apologise to Paul Sherman. I think I have a lot to contribute to the group and would love to be included once again.

Welcome back, CK :) You’ve come back at a pretty interesting time! This upcoming spell reminds me of the classic E’ly episodes that will always live in my memory (‘87, ‘91 for example). You certainly do have lots to contribute here, don’t let the weather get to you too much. Living here, you get used to disappointment!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Your only using me for my lamp post :shok:

Hahahaha! Never!

2 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

I've recently has LED lighting put in - was a bit sceptical at first but it's great for watching snow at night :)

I might have to do something along those lines over the weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sno' problem said:

It is still very much hit and miss for the inland areas of our region, plus the coastal areas might suffer slightly from the warmth of the sea. That is probably why places like Dover, Deal etc are not within the MetOffice warning areas.

I agree, but I think Dover and Deal will be ok because of the low uppers.

Back in 1997, when I was doing my A Levels, I remember an easterly bringing continuous light snow. Maybe we’ll see this ...

• Like 4