Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
9 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Bbc online forecast next week biting winds frosts,but DRY

How on earth do they come to that conclusion,bitterly cold uppers crossing the relatively warm North Sea and all next week is going be dry.

Lets review that forecast in a weeks time ,because it’s frankly ridiculous 

I’m going to tweet the forecaster ,Susan Powell how she comes to that conclusion .

1 minute ago, PLANET THANET said:

bbc one weather just now (susan powell) said next week would be bitterly cold but DRY !!!

No one at this time can make this call. However, meteorologists know that based on the setup heave snow showers (prolonged at times) are likely along the entire East Coast. In addition there are several opportunities for snow pushing in from the south. 

This is exactly what the text MetO update states.

I would not listen to BBC TV forecasts, radio forecasts (unless they simply read out the MetO text forecast) or more importantly the output of any app. 

Posted

People shouldn't stress over forecasts (both online and on tv) about weather that is still 6 days away. 

Details around snow and the possibilities of it won't really become clearer until towards the end of the week. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

How on earth do they come to that conclusion,bitterly cold uppers crossing the relatively warm North Sea and all next week is going be dry.

I’m going to tweet the forecaster ,Susan Powell how she comes to that conclusion .

i tweeted bbc weather see if they reply

See my post from earlier. They have max temps of 4 and 5 early next week for London. The met office has a Max of 2 there on Monday????

Posted
18 minutes ago, seb said:

Wow just wow... Latest MetO update:

UK Outlook for Sunday 25 Feb 2018 to Tuesday 6 Mar 2018:

Sunday will be dry but cold for many, with some sunny spells. Snow showers may develop across eastern and southern areas where fresh winds will make it feel bitterly cold. Through next week it is likely to become even colder with strong easterly winds, bringing an increasing threat of snow showers. These will be heaviest and most frequent in central and eastern areas, and some spells of more prolonged snow are possible at times, particularly in the east but also perhaps in parts of the south and southwest. The cold weather will continue through the rest of the period, with the northwest seeing the best of any brighter weather, and here it may be less cold at times, although brisk winds will continue to bring a marked wind chill.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 7 Mar 2018 to Wednesday 21 Mar 2018:

At the start of this period it is likely to remain cold or very cold for many with widespread frost and brisk easterly winds from Continental Europe, making it feel raw. This will continue to bring the risk of significant snow across some southern, eastern and central parts of the country, whereas towards the north and west it will be drier. As we head through the middle of March, there is a lot of uncertainty in the forecast, but it may start to turn more unsettled and less cold with the wettest and mildest weather spreading in from the southwest. In contrast, northern and eastern areas could remain colder well into March

Dry according to BBC weather:gathering:,btw I can’t find that update on their site still showing earlier forecast

Posted

ok ok I got so excited this morning I bought my daughter a (sledge)  so I promise not to say anymore*************************************** 

Posted

Do we feel we'll see snow showers in the SE and EA off of the north sea? Or will it be more north Norfolk and northwards as some model precip/snow charts have been showing today?

Posted
Just now, Jimmyh said:

ok ok I got so excited this morning I bought my daughter a (sledge)  so I promise not to say anymore*************************************** 

Hehe I, ordered new sledge,weather station ,new camera to make sure everything is recorded for historic purposes.

Bring it on....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

If you take the BBC forecasts as gospel you might as well take the Daily Express forecast as gospel too. 

;) 

Posted
Just now, tomp456 said:

If you take the BBC forecasts as gospel you might as well take the Daily Express forecast as gospel too. 

;) 

I don't think anyone was taking the beeb as gospel just more entertaining really

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, tomp456 said:

oh dear ! are you implying that they are not correct in their forecasts :rofl:

;) 

Posted
9 minutes ago, snowblind said:

See my post from earlier. They have max temps of 4 and 5 early next week for London. The met office has a Max of 2 there on Monday????

Yes, not impressed with the BBC Meteogroup forecasts so far. Most days they have been very wrong. Weirdly, their own Weather Pro app shows -2 to 1 for Monday and Tuesday. Even has the slightest hint of precipitation (<0.1mm) haha.

8 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Dry according to BBC weather:gathering:,btw I can’t find that update on their site still showing earlier forecast

Screenshot attached. Might be your cache?

Screenshot 2018-02-20 13.46.17.png

2018-02-20 13.45.30.png

Edited by seb
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

bbc one weather just now (susan powell) said next week would be bitterly cold but DRY !!!

edit....just noticed that sleety mentioned susans online forecast , be interesting what her answer will be when she tweets 

It does look dry, initially at least. The Met Office are probably trying to work out the cold before they go on to assess snow risks.

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

It does look dry, initially at least. The Met Office are probably trying to work out the cold before they go on to assess snow risks.

MetO going with snow showers from Sunday onwards (rather than snow flurries as per yesterday) changing to "prolonged snow" from Tue then changing to "significant snow".

BBC using Meteogroup now.

Posted

Met office on twitter show the bitter air moving across us on Sunday with high of 1c in London Monday,bit more like it

ohh the bbc don’t use the met office ,no wonder there forecast are so different.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, seb said:

MetO going with snow showers from Sunday onwards (rather than snow flurries as per yesterday) changing to "prolonged snow" from Tue then changing to "significant snow".

BBC using Meteogroup now.

Snow showers with possibly more prolonged snow at times. Nothing guaranteed at this stage, though I’d be surprised if most of us didn’t see any snow.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bobby93 said:

Do we feel we'll see snow showers in the SE and EA off of the north sea? Or will it be more north Norfolk and northwards as some model precip/snow charts have been showing today?

With all the kinks and waves in the isobars coming across the North sea all the way down the U.K i think theres plenty of opportunity for troughs and showers along the whole East coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days

Hi guys, what is the chance of good snow showers for Brighton on Sunday night and Monday? Or again are we going to see snow for Scotland and northern parts of the country?

Also, do you guys think we can get sea effect snow as the very cold air moving from the east and I checked sea tempratures they are warmer than the air.

Posted
36 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

i tweeted bbc weather see if they reply

That's very bad of Susan Powell spreading misinformation. I too have tweeted @bbcweather for an explanation as this is misinformation...............we should all tweet @bbcweather

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

yeah I just saw thst Susan Powell forecast 

dry no mention of any snow at all

but very cold 

MetO have been notified about Susan Powell's bizarre dry forecast. I'm sure they will contact the BBC and update her on the latest Big Freeze forecast for next week :cold:

Posted
2 minutes ago, yamkin said:

MetO have been notified about Susan Powell's bizarre dry forecast. I'm sure they will contact the BBC and update her on the latest Big Freeze forecast for next week :cold:

but the beeb aren't working with the met office anymore yamkin ??????

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, yamkin said:

do they have the right to do that now as they no longer provide the forecasts for the BBC

EDIT...sorry just seen that BA beat me to it

Edited by PLANET THANET

Posted
10 minutes ago, yamkin said:

That's very bad of Susan Powell spreading misinformation. I too have tweeted @bbcweather for an explanation as this is misinformation...............we should all tweet @bbcweather

seems a strange forecast as they seem to be doing a bit of ramping regards the cold and snow potential for next week... they even recently tweeted an animated SNOW gif

Edited by mrkipling