Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
2 minutes ago, shaky said:

Yup gfs looks much better for you guys and us midlanders this morning!!!ukmo is a beauty!!!!all snow event from the m4 northwards with surface easterly flow!

Looks excellent, and its backed up by the meto/bbc!

I'm not greedy, 5cm will do me nicely, the even better news is temps not expected to get above zero here until the weekend!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Fabulous text updates from BBC/METO this morning!!

BBC

Tuesday

On Tuesday it will be another cold day with sunny spells, but also further snow showers pushing in from the east. The snow showers could be heavy.

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday

On Wednesday, bitterly cold easterly winds will bring in snow showers. Remaining very cold on Thursday with a risk of the snow showers merging to give longer periods of snow. Overnight and through Friday there is the potential for the snow to become persistent and locally heavy bringing the risk of significant accumulations quite widely.

METO

Today:

A cold and frosty start, although it will be dry with sunny spells for many. Feeling bitterly cold with a brisk easterly wind, which will bring some scattered snow showers during the afternoon. It should stay dry towards the coast. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Tonight:

Further scattered snow showers in the east, but mostly dry with clear spells and a severe frost. Possibly a spell of more persistent snow arriving from the east by dawn. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Tuesday:

A spell of persistent snow is likely to move southwestwards across some parts during Tuesday morning. Further scattered snow showers to follow. Feeling bitterly cold. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Extremely cold with a significant wind chill for most. Frequent snow showers throughout, but also some brighter spells. Probably a spell of prolonged snowfall arriving from the south during Friday.

Just going to leave that here and hopefully most of us will do well..

I'm busy today so wont have time to post :)

Ok that’s better! ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Liverpool. 

The report was made 6 hours and 29 minutes ago, at 22:58 UTC
Forecast valid from 26 at 00 UTC to 26 at 24 UTC
Wind 10 kt from the East
Visibility 10 km or more
Few clouds at a height of 4500 ft
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 26 at 12 UTC to 26 at 24 UTC
Visibility: 3000 m
Broken clouds at a height of 900 ft
light snow showers
Becoming
from 26 at 22 UTC to 26 at 24 UTC
Wind 8 kt from the North/Northeast

It will update soon. 
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Ok that’s better! ??

I nearly choked on my cornflakes when i read those updates chris :)

Major upgrades in those texts- fingers crossed!

on the other side of the coin-

I was at the palace theatre in manchester last night and there were literally dozens of homeless folk on the streets, the council HAVE to act and move these poor people into some kind of sheltered accomodation TODAY, its simply not good enough for people to be sleeping rough at anytime, esp when there is a siginficant cold spell incoming, why are the council not being pro active in this?

That has nothing to do with snow , the wind chill itself could cause hypothermia, its really left a mark on me and i cant stop thinking about them. :(

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter, heatwaves in summer :)

1 thought goes out to the homeless the other goes to those two streamers on the east and s east coasts. These will penetrate well inland and we might just catch that one in the east.

The snow has intensified a bit here now. It's blowing east to west rather than sky downwards ?

Edited by Sn0wmad79

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I was at the palace theatre in manchester last night and there were literally dozens of homeless folk on the streets, the council HAVE to act and move these poor people into some kind of sheltered accomodation TODAY, its simply not good enough for people to be sleeping rough at anytime, esp when there is a siginficant cold spell incoming, why are the council not being pro active in this?

That has nothing to do with snow , the wind chill itself could cause hypothermia, its really left a mark on me and i cant stop thinking about them. :(

I don’t think you can get much better sounding text forecasts than that ever, wow.

Yes, definitely, it is very concerning. There will certainly   be procedures in place but unfortunately there will definitely be some victims of the cold this week.

There is a thread which has been started which gives some tips on caring for each other in the cold. I’ll find the link to it.  

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I was at the palace theatre in manchester last night and there were literally dozens of homeless folk on the streets, the council HAVE to act and move these people into some kind of sheltered accomodation TODAY, its simply not good enough for people to be sleeping rough at anytime, esp when there is a siginficant cold spell incoming, why are the council not being pro active in this?

I actually work in the city centre neighbourhood team and spend a good proportion of the day helping to refer rough sleepers into emergency accomodation.  We have cold weather provision on all week at the methodist hall on Oldham Street; but in some case the sad reality is they do not want to engage; or incapable (spice) etc, short of marching them into the temp accom theres little we can do.  I would also be mindful that some already have acccom, and that some of the best begging and sympathy donations from members of the public come in cold periods. Some people just do not want to engage and take the risk, stupidly I might add.  On a weather note, its snowing a bit harder now and sticking on cars etc - yay  

Posted
1 minute ago, mottram blue said:

I actually work in the city centre neighbourhood team and spend a good proportion of the day helping to refer rough sleepers into emergency accomodation.  We have cold weather provision on all week at the methodist hall on Oldham Street; but in some case the sad reality is they do not want to engage; or incapable (spice) etc, short of marching them into the temp accom theres little we can do.  I would also be mindful that some already have acccom, and that some of the best begging and sympathy donations from members of the public come in cold periods. Some people just do not want to engage and take the risk, stupidly I might add.  On a weather note, its snowing a bit harder now and sticking on cars etc - yay  

Thats fabulous to read MB :)

That takes a weight off my mind TBH, well done for your work, im sure everyone appreciates people like yourself.

Very concerning that people would even take a chance being exposed to the cold and horrendous windchill this week.

• Like 1

Posted

This thread give some great advice on what we can do to help people who will be struggling in this cold.Although we will all enjoy it, not everybody will.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Thats fabulous to read MB :)

That takes a weight off my mind TBH, well done for your work, im sure everyone appreciates people like yourself.

Very concerning that people would even take a chance being exposed to the cold and horrendous windchill this week.

Gad to have allayed some of our concerns, I just hope as the weather develops more will see sense, it is a rewarding job, but have to say I have lost two long term entrenched rough sleepers in the last week, who just couldn't break the habit.

I Was working yesterday so gonna enjoy a day of radar watching and watching the white stuff float by the window.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Light blowing snow here at the moment but what is reaching the surface is sticking so looking good already.

an interesting few days coming up.

Posted

How about this further outlook as well. Sounds excellent for us, suggesting high-pressure continuing to the north with a battleground. 

UK Outlook for Friday 2 Mar 2018 to Sunday 11 Mar 2018:

Northern areas will be bright with further snow showers on Friday, but we could see heavier and disruptive snow developing across southern and some central areas, combined with strong to gale force easterly winds, leading to blizzard conditions. However, there is a an element of uncertainty with this. Thereafter, it is looking increasingly likely to be unsettled with a north-south split in temperatures across the UK. The coldest and driest conditions are likely in the far north and northwest. We may see areas of rain moving northeastwards from the southwest at times, which could well turn to snow across central and northern areas. It will be often windy with gales possible at times. Remaining cold for many, but nearer normal temperatures at times in the southern half of the UK.

UK Outlook for Monday 12 Mar 2018 to Monday 26 Mar 2018:

A blocked pattern remains most likely across much of the UK, with colder than average conditions, but possibly milder at times in the south and southwest. Further bitterly cold easterly winds are probable, giving a significant wind chill. There will continue to be a risk of snow across some central and northern areas, but in the far north and northwest it should be drier. Frosts will continue to be widespread and severe in places. As we head towards the middle of March it may turn more unsettled and less cold with milder and wetter weather spreading up from the south or southwest. This may lead to further significant snow in places although this remains very uncertain. Northern areas may hang on to the colder weather well into March.

Updated: 02:05 on Mon 26 Feb 2018 GMT

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

BBC news forecast gust now showed Tuesdays snow crossing more of the region than it did yesterday.

hopefully this stays the case.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold, hot sunny summer's and autumn storms
28 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

There a couple of homless ppl in Liscard where i live if i see them I'll be getting them an extra warm blanket and some scafs,gloves etc.. iv just let the pup out for the loo only 2min and my hands are already freezing 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

BBC news forecast gust now showed Tuesdays snow crossing more of the region than it did yesterday.

hopefully this stays the case.

euro 4 has mainly light snow later tonight and into tomorrow morning.

Should provide a covering for most iwould imagine.

Euro4 is not perfect, it doent show any accumulating snow here at 6am this morning but we already have a light dusting from the  light showers that have stuck instantly to the frozen ground..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Light flurries here.. good start to the day 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:
The report was made 4 hours and 59 minutes ago, at 00:08 UTC
Forecast valid from 26 at 00 UTC to 27 at 06 UTC
Wind 9 kt from the East
Visibility 10 km or more
Few clouds at a height of 4500 ft
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 26 at 04 UTC to 27 at 04 UTC
Visibility: 3000 m
Broken clouds at a height of 900 ft
light snow showers
Becoming
from 26 at 23 UTC to 27 at 02 UTC
Wind 10 kt from the North/Northeast
Temporary
from 27 at 04 UTC to 27 at 06 UTC
Visibility: 1800 m
Broken clouds at a height of 800 ft
snow showers
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 27 at 04 UTC to 27 at 06 UTC
Visibility: 0800 m
Broken clouds at a height of 200 ft
heavy snow showers

Updated same as above except til noon tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

Still snowing lightly and the forecast hints at more throughout the day so hopefully a covering for many of us before tonight.

• Like 1

Posted

Think many in the east of the region will be pleasantly suprised this morning, OK its only very light but we have a dusting pretty much on all surfaces here in Oldham east...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I have dandruf falling?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
31 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Light flurries here.. good start to the day 

Yes.  Looks dark over you to the East. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

:rofl: