Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS charts seem to be suggestive of the dreaded rain shadow effect for Greater manchester ?

Not sure why give the winds are not forecast to be SE ly- or are they?

The snow shadow effect also comes into play on an easterly, but usually for frontal snow events, rather than convective.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

At last a proper air frost last night, minimum -2.5°C. Reached 4.3°C earlier but seems to already be starting to drop again. If that is the maximum then it’s been around 2°C overestimated again; bodes well for next week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

5C currently.. not dropping yet.. it feels pleasant out of the wind in the sunshine. I did go out in t shirt and shorts to the shop this morning.. drew a few looks of bemusement apart from an old lady who smiled.. possibly because she did the same in 1963

Posted
16 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

At last a proper air frost last night, minimum -2.5°C. Reached 4.3°C earlier but seems to already be starting to drop again. If that is the maximum then it’s been around 2°C overestimated again; bodes well for next week. 

35 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Ppn risk for same timescale?uksnowrisk.thumb.png.cd28704a8af28c9e78f9801bf1e80f6d.png

uksnowrisk.thumb.png.cd28704a8af28c9e78f9801bf1e80f6d.png

The GFS will not properly pick up rain shadows so far out. This is a job for the euro 4 and the Aprege much closer to the event.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

5C currently.. not dropping yet.. it feels pleasant out of the wind in the sunshine. I did go out in t shirt and shorts to the shop this morning.. drew a few looks of bemusement apart from an old lady who smiled.. possibly because she did the same in 1963

People dress like Eskimos here and I am just out in a light jacket. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

People dress like Eskimos here and I am just out in a light jacket. 

It's not that cold at this current time. Maybe on Tuesday I'll try the t shirt and shorts thing again at 7am. I'll see how that goes. ?

Edited by SP1986

Posted
2 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

It's not that cold at this current time. Maybe on Tuesday I'll try the t shirt and shorts thing again at 7am. I'll see how that goes. ?

I go to the gym in t-shirt and shirts throughout the year but it is only a 5 min walk from my house. Also for the supermarket which is just 3 mins walk from me. The convenience of city living! haha

Posted

You'll get that windchill whistling through the city streets though. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

You'll get that windchill whistling through the city streets though. 

Yes, March 2013 felt bitter even in the city centre. It was the last time i felt properly cold here.

Posted

By the way, the Met Office update sounds like an upgrade to me. See the text in bold which was not there yesterday.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 28 Feb 2018 to Friday 9 Mar 2018:

It will stay very cold as we head into March, with sunshine and snow showers. Showers are most likely across eastern and central parts of the UK where accumulations may mount up. Further west, large accumulations are still possible but much less likely. Winds will be light to moderate for most, but across southern Britain strong easterly winds, possibly gales around the coast, will make it feel bitterly cold. Night time frosts will be widespread and severe in places too. There is currently a possibility of more unsettled weather trying to push in from the southwest at times towards the first weekend in March and beyond. This could bring more significant snow and gales to southern parts of the UK but there is currently a lot of uncertainty with this.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

image.thumb.png.165bc473c37f6559c9b871bb5bc50c0a.png

No need to say anymore

Could be quite a realistic chart in fairness as the air will be very dry as it crosses the mountains therefore taking away any moisture. 

The snow potential for this region looks poor because of the rain shadow affect, we are relying on troughs to come in to bring snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

image.thumb.png.165bc473c37f6559c9b871bb5bc50c0a.png

No need to say anymore

I hope that chart is wrong otherwise it'll be a sixth year I'll be waiting for lying snow. :cray:

Posted
4 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Could be quite a realistic chart in fairness as the air will be very dry as it crosses the mountains therefore taking away any moisture. 

The snow potential for this region looks poor because of the rain shadow affect, we are relying on troughs to come in to bring snowfall.

I think it is wrong for Cumbria in particular because Tuesday's trough is expected to affect that area quite well. Of course it may be further south in which case there should be something for the southern half of the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Probably a bit too early to work out possible snow depths but having said that I think it's odds on eastern facing pennine areas will get clobbered, I would be very excited if I lived in Sheffield or Bradford or somewhere like Teesdale in the NE. North York moors in a prime location too. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather
2 hours ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Wednesday as per.....

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.b0c24891d4233a3a6e797145520f14e2.png

:rofl:

Interesting feature next Sunday but at +231

h500slp.thumb.png.80e7d15315404bd865a5dbbcdb85f7ec.png

Is that the Snowdome over Liverpool lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Bitter wind down at the Albert Dock Liverpool. Sun shining 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Probably a bit too early to work out possible snow depths but having said that I think it's odds on eastern facing pennine areas will get clobbered, I would be very excited if I lived in Sheffield or Bradford or somewhere like Teesdale in the NE. North York moors in a prime location too. 

Yes the Eastern side is going to get battered, however in the strong and unstable Easterly wind I'm sure troughs and little features will crop up that aren't showing up at present and these will make it across to us. This is only in the short term too, there should be plenty of snow opportunities in the coming few weeks.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, karyo said:

I think it is wrong for Cumbria in particular because Tuesday's trough is expected to affect that area quite well. Of course it may be further south in which case there should be something for the southern half of the region.

Yep Tuesday feature could indeed bring some snowfall for the region but we can look and stress about all the model charts as we like but it' what the radar says at the end of the day, do wish I was booked a holiday off work to head back to the North East next week instead of 2 weeks time!

I think between Tuesday night and to Thursday is perhaps the best chance as instability and strength of the easterly will be at the most prime as things stand, hopefully some showers can cross over to the west but I won't be banking on that that is for sure.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Miamay said:

Bitter wind down at the Albert Dock Liverpool. Sun shining 

Youve just described a perfect summer's day at the Albert Dock :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Think the general public are starting to latch on to the cold spell judging by the amounts of logs and coal Home Bargain were selling earlier. Glad I stocked up! I do hope we see some decent snow during the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Chill Pill