Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i have full aircon in my house in Edmonton...couldn't live with out it..and actually its not that expensive to install here because we have forced air system in houses ...this is something you dont have in the UK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This prolonged settled spell couldn't have arrived at a better time given it has coincided with the longest days of the year

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

North Sea muck took much longer to clear this morning. You'd think the sun would be strong enough at this time of year to burn it away quickly, but no, it takes 5-6 hours.

Looks much the same for the next couple of days with cloud refusing to burn away before 12pm. Rather disappointing.

Edited by cheese

Posted
7 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

your sure you are in Leeds?  the cloud cleared about 9/10 and its been sunny and very pleasant since. Not as hot as recently but  bloody lovely :)

You must be living in Leeds, Kent then because the cloud definitely did not clear that early. We had a few sunny spells at 10-ish but no sunny skies. Even now there's a bit of cloud knocking about.

Anyway, this month is already sunnier than average so even if the rest of the month was cloudy every day it wouldn't matter too much.

Edited by cheese

Posted

sorry take that back  there are NO clouds in my sky now! this is glorious weather indeed .Anyway back onto the topic. Looking like its gonna  very warm into next week. Picking up  heat from the neat continent!  There  Is chance of thunderstorms .But does often mean we get lots of sunnier weather  between the  build up  thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Fantastic late Spring weather these last couple of weeks, with loads of sunshine and very little rain. No uncomfortable heat too, with temperatures just into the low 20’sC with cooling breezes. Nice to have some decent weather to counterbalance the depressingly dull and often wet conditions that dominated much of March and April.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Fantastic late Spring weather these last couple of weeks, with loads of sunshine and very little rain. No uncomfortable heat too, with temperatures just into the low 20’sC with cooling breezes. Nice to have some decent weather to counterbalance the depressingly dull and often wet conditions that dominated much of March and April.

I agree. 

Now, it’s only a matter of time before the sunny dry heat gets replaced by the humid sunny weather with storms, as we head towards June.

I predict before the end of this month or early June, we will start to see more widespread thunderstorm activity, especially in southern and south eastern areas.

I’m secretly hoping for a warm June, with thundery interludes. Hopefully this summer will produce some violent storms, similar to the ones we had years ago. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I agree. 

Now, it’s only a matter of time before the sunny dry heat gets replaced by the humid sunny weather with storms, as we head towards June.

I predict before the end of this month or early June, we will start to see more widespread thunderstorm activity, especially in southern and south eastern areas.

I’m secretly hoping for a warm June, with thundery interludes. Hopefully this summer will produce some violent storms, similar to the ones we had years ago. 

I’d have thought that most people would enjoy these conditions. Once the temperature climbs towards 30C with high humidity, it becomes less pleasant (but I’d still rather have that than 17C, cloud and wind). Would be great to see some severe 80’s & 90’s-style thunderstorms too. Though those outbreaks usually led to a good couple of weeks of nasty Atlantic dross.

Posted
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

sorry take that back  there are NO clouds in my sky now! this is glorious weather indeed .Anyway back onto the topic. Looking like its gonna  very warm into next week. Picking up  heat from the neat continent!  There  Is chance of thunderstorms .But does often mean we get lots of sunnier weather  between the  build up  thunderstorms.

You are definitely telling porkies if you think there are no clouds in the sky at all!

It's a reasonably nice day but it's only 15C with an 18km/h wind so warm it certainly does not feel - and unlike previous days there are very few if any people walking around in shorts. It needs to be a few degrees warmer for my liking. 

It looks like the cloud will prove even more stubborn tomorrow and Thursday, perhaps not clearing until 12-1pm. East really is the worst wind direction.

Edited by cheese

Posted

You must be on  another planet am looking out the window and its clear blue skies.. I take it you have not been out today. the wind is not a NW.. Its not a hot SE wind but its not a cold wind either.as for telling porkies. we need someone else in the west yorkshire  area to confirm what the weather is like!

Posted
6 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

You must be on  another planet am looking out the window and its clear blue skies.. I take it you have not been out today. the wind is not a NW.. Its not a hot SE wind but its not a cold wind either.as for telling porkies. we need someone else in the west yorkshire  area to confirm what the weather is like!

Wind direction is NNE and currently 14.8 km/h, and it's 15C. That ain't a warm wind buddy.  And to think the Met Office were forecasting highs of 20C just a couple of days ago. How things can change.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

Wind direction is NNE and currently 14.8 km/h. That ain't a warm wind buddy. 

ITS NOT COLD OUT THERE.. go out  and see the world for a change.  remember  to go out when the suns out. avoiding the blanket on cloud hovering over your abode..

Seriously are you the one that claimed  Apirl was warm last year when it wasn't?.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

What a comical post.

I played golf starting 9.45 am, playing into wind was unpleasant and with nearly as many clothes on as in late winter. In the shelter and the sun breaking through, totally different. Slowly as the clouds broke and we came back down the course with the wind behind us, quite pleasant. But I would not describe the feeling as summery. Quite different now in my sheltered back garden but I would agree with cheese overall.

13 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

ITS NOT COLD OUT THERE.. go out  and see the world for a change.  remember  to go out when the suns out. avoiding the blanket on cloud hovering over your abode..

Seriously are you the one that claimed  Apirl was warm last year when it wasn't?.

It was that temperature about 8am here is this morning and I had a jacket on and that's without the howling north easterly you've got, now a more pleasant 23C it is nice but still fresh at times in breeze,

Posted

Strangely despite being so close to the coast we had no such issues with cloud or fog here, it was clear all night and all day so far! As a result we're now up to 227hours of sunshine this month, which is 112% of the monthly average with 9½ days to go.

There's a keen northerly wind but we still reached 16.8C. It feels cooler than of late, but then the average max has been more than 3C above average so its easy to forget its only May.

Edited by reef

Posted
2 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

You appear confused - where on this page did I mention it being cold? 'Not warm' does not automatically equate to 'being cold'. 

I mean this in the nicest way possible but have you ever taken a step back and wondered how other people perceive your posts? It's not very good.

As for last April - it was warmer than average, with above-average sunshine levels. Relative to average, it was certainly warm. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
23 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The sunshine makes all the difference under a NE'ly flow

9116b860-8fc7-4de3-8a52-e8d36baf3c62.thumb.png.506cd21de8f5ae0ae28541286eb2cdf1.png7d15ac12-e8e2-4681-89e8-4bd828487c89.thumb.png.fe0ed56650384154f40edb16e0909698.png

Not really - even under sunshine the temperatures today struggled. A NE wind is basically a death knell here as far as warm weather is concerned. It needs to disappear pronto. 

And it's funny seeing BBC and Met Office forecasts talking about the cloud retreating to the coast, and yet the cloud has remained inland all day over North East England. Leeming has recorded 0 hours of sun today. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

So much more pleasant today,good fresh breeze,mid to high teens,perfect. Why want more?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
54 minutes ago, markyo said:

So much more pleasant today,good fresh breeze,mid to high teens,perfect. Why want more?

Because they're never satisfied. What we have now is warm BUT it cools off at night. Soon that will be gone. 28/17 is a good bet going from the output. Yuck.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Because they're never satisfied. What we have now is warm BUT it cools off at night. Soon that will be gone. 28/17 is a good bet going from the output. Yuck.

I wouldn’t say it’s because people are never satisfied. Hot days lead to warm evenings where al fresco dining in the garden or pub can be enjoyed, without having to put on 20 layers of clothing. But the negative side of that is trying to sleep. Doesn’t bother me much as I love warmth but many in this country seem to have issues with it.