Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
7 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Winds look to be WNW on Sunday, which normally means showers head north of Stoke and those that try to move towards here get killed by the Welsh mountains. Yet the Met Office and BBC both show frequent snow showers here. Hmm. We'll see.

Agreed the direction is critical in these set ups, we will see though u never no. Maybe we could take the tops off the mountains lol. What gets me though is why everyone is looking so far into the future on the models when next week is looking potentially very good

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moderate snow here with a full covering.

Heavy snow now with around 3cm 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Light rain here, cold out about 2c. Apps showing snow/sleet for Sunday, Tuesday & Wednesday IMBY. Slightly more interesting week ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Moderate snow here after a spell of light snow and ice pellets from 0745 to 0845.  1cm lying at 0900.

Posted
3 hours ago, MattStoke said:

The Euro4 model looks good for here though, and for much of the Midlands.

3A058A4B-08A7-4DC0-8344-95D16B53F958.jpeg

Tasty same as 18z run although ever so slightly further south for us in leicester!!some areas could get a walloping of snow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
31 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Why is the BBC app showing no snow tomorrow? Just says dry day with sunny intervals.

Because they are crap those apps they change more than the models which is saying something 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Because they are crap those apps they change more than the models which is saying something 

Shows how dreadful they are when they have a yellow warning out for our area and then state tomorrow will be dry with sunny intervals! Met office forecast looks more promising.

Posted

Snow here has steadily turned to rain with a thaw.

Temp 2.5c

Wind chill -0.8c

Posted

Looks like snow over the parts of the Midlands tomorrow as colder air digs in from the N/W.

Posted

MO warning updated. Still not sure about the shower risk given the wind direction but the MO and BBC seem to think showers will be widespread and frequent.

EA42185F-63E6-4352-BEE7-DA4A9550C242.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, The Wolf said:

Why is the BBC app showing no snow tomorrow? Just says dry day with sunny intervals.

maybe because it will be correct, those Welsh mountains in the way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

What a miserable weather, rained earlier at  1C. This year should be officially called as the year of sleet. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Disgusting day, and people wonder why I prefer cold and snow over this rancid filth.

Dull damp crap day, u never no it might be white when we wake up tomorrow 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

The Westerly is the new Easterly :cold: You don't see many westerly so cold and so far South

Snow showers tomorrow but it'll be a case of radar watching methinks:wink:

gfs-0-30_jgd5.pnggfs-1-30_upa1.png

Yes!!!  Matt been looking at that myself

gfs-2-72_trr0.png DEFO ONE TO KEEP AN EYE ON :D

• Like 1

Posted

BBC have been talking up the snow risk from that system though. So worth watching.

Snow most likely to settle above 150 m tomorrow. My area is 146 m asl and I'm just under 3 m tall. Anyone got a step ladder?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

BBC have been talking up the snow risk from that system though. So worth watching.

Snow most likely to settle above 150 m tomorrow. My area is 146 m asl and I'm just under 3 m tall. Anyone got a step ladder?

Agreed, I remember the last snowy spell we had, a few days before It was mentioned in very similar terms and that ended as far South as London.

But as always Caution!!! still marginal at this stage and still a couple of days away yet......Will be watching the hi res models with interests :hi:

This is the LATEST 12z NMM 0.05  that goes out as far as 72h

nmmuk-1-68-0_gkq8.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Tuesday morning’s front, if cold enough, I feel would have a real possibility to produce some torrential sleet and snow for places, especially considering how vigorous the system could be.

I suspect tomorrow, it’ll probably stay mostly dry here with the West-North-Westerly wind likely to drag most of the snow showers to the North! Although enough instability to the flow could ensure a few get further South/South-East in the region at times. Depends how well they survive the Welsh Mountains I guess!

Posted

Met Office and BBC showing snow showers right across the Midlands tomorrow. Heavy and persistent here. They must think it will be unstable enough for showers to survive the Welsh mountains.

BBC said snow widely on Tuesday. Settling to low levels.

Then showed snow on Wednesday but turning to rain through the day.

Cold NW winds continuing after that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
54 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Met Office and BBC showing snow showers right across the Midlands tomorrow. Heavy and persistent here. They must think it will be unstable enough for showers to survive the Welsh mountains.

BBC said snow widely on Tuesday. Settling to low levels.

Then showed snow on Wednesday but turning to rain through the day.

Cold NW winds continuing after that.

That’s encouraging! Could certainly put a lot of snow shields in here under threat! 

• Like 1