The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone with a macro lens needs to go and photograph the amazing snowflakes falling right now. This is the best i can do

So, both hi res models over which whose territory this system is evolving - Hirlam and Arpege (both I would have a lot of respect for) - have very decent accumulations forecast by Friday morning from

Posted Images

1 minute ago, snowstorm27x said:

Never ending snow here, been a good snow event in the end and not over until the early hours. Chance of repeat tomorrow and Saturday. Up to 7/10 On my Beast from the East scale lol.

You were very downcast this morning! 

Just now, weirpig said:

Good BBC forecast for tommorow. Possible disruption across brum. However uncertain track. Round 2 

This event reminds me a lot of Feb 8-9 2007. Totally different synoptics I know but that was a snow event on the Thursday followed by a complete surprise snow event the next day.

Both events a Thursday and Friday.

• Like 4

Well, turned out to be a pretty eventful day for me :laugh: decided to head down to Oxford on my motorbike a day early to be with my family for my birthday weekend. Left Rushden around 2:30pm when it wasn't too bad. Main roads were clear, although light snow was falling.

As soon as I hit the Towcester area, the snow started getting heavier and was starting to settle on the A43! By the time I got just past Brackley, I had to pull into a layby as it was becoming too dangerous to carry on on my bike.

So there I was, freezing cold, stranded about 20 miles from Oxford not knowing what to do! Tried to ring my breakdown recovery but they had me on hold for ages. Luckily a man in a 4x4 pick up truck who was also heading to oxford pulled over for me and managed to get my bike on the back of his truck. 

If it wasn't for him, I genuinely think my life may have been in danger. Sounds far fetched but it was so cold, could have got hyperthermia fairly quickly and I was around a 2 mile walk from any shops etc! Lesson learned there, never head out on my motorbike when snow is forecast :laugh: in Oxford now and everything is covered in this fine, almost dust like snow! So powdery, never seen anything like it before.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Natalie Till said:

Looking at that I don’t envisage going far tomorrow

1AA2CCD1-6B51-4575-A7DC-CEA9DF51EBB0.jpeg

I can see that van from my house ?? and the rest of the road !

I left our house at 3pm to do the school run. It was getting really bad really quick so went 15 mins early.

At 3.30pm cars were already struggling to get up Alexandra road. Then the normal traffic for rush hour just grinded to a halt.

Edited by DownwardI
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, high ground birmingham said:

This event reminds me a lot of Feb 8-9 2007. Totally different synoptics I know but that was a snow event on the Thursday followed by a complete surprise snow event the next day.

Both events a Thursday and Friday.

Remember struggling back from bridge north on the Friday !!

The roads and pavements are being stripped bare of the small covering by the very strong wind. It looks like we've had a rapid thaw despite everything being dry and frozen. 

This easterly really isn't turning out to be what I expected. The low temperatures, severe windchill and strong wind blowing the powdery snow are cool. I just wish we could have had a decent amount of snow like so many other parts of the UK.

Pretty disappointing round here to be honest. Radar looks like all the good stuff has gone West and quite a bit of the midlands left with crappy snow grains. Cant see much more coming tonight now. Hope tomorrow will be better as the snow just hasnt been thick enough here for a proper dumping.

Yeah the radar is showing nothing coming up to where I am. Well nothing like the met and beeb are predicting for the early hours. Pretty disappointing. All in all yes that fine dust blown on the wind was cool to watch but give me big flakes and a blizzard anyday.

We're out for the night it seems, so I shall retreat to bed as flying to Madrid in the morning from Birmingham. Typically potentially missing two more snow days which is frustrating. I just hope there is still snow around Monday.

I'm disappointed too but I suppose if it hadn't corrected east for a while this afternoon, we would have been even more out of the party. I'm hoping its been enough for a snow day for my boys - most schools are closed around here tomorrow.....except theirs 

26 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Good BBC forecast for tommorow. Possible disruption across brum. However uncertain track. Round 2 

Just comparing the high res models like Hirlam and Arpege and the 18z updates are both a good 100 miles further East and Southeast respectively than their 06z run.

• Like 1