Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, ciel said:

Have to go to Ellon today and judging by the meto forecast Ellon and the A90 should be clear too, hopefully anyway

Stick to the coast then as its currently snowing inland despite being forecast for sleet. Nice to know it still can, big fat flakes too, and lying, but not to any depth so far. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Stick to the coast then as its currently snowing inland despite being forecast for sleet. Nice to know it still can, big fat flakes too, and lying, but not to any depth so far. 

Yes, Ravelin, good advice. I saw it was snowing on the Cairn webcam.

1 hour ago, grifter said:

Looked out this morning and it was rainy sleet, now snow and pelting down, and starting to catch as it looks like heavy wet snow.

I'll just ditto your post lazily if you don't mind as exactly same is happening here.

Cannae see Soutra, which I have to drive over shortly. :unsure2:

image.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Have to be honest and say I reckon you’ll need at least 200m altitude to see anything significant tomorrow. Aside from those members living the high life (altitudinally speaking) such as @Northern Strath @igloo @shuggee I think it’s rain and sleet for most, with perhaps some wet snow before it clears.

In other words, it’s nailed on. :D

Just sleety blobs.  Certainly nothing settling - washing away the snow that's been about for a couple of days even.

Very geographically localised it seems.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, howham said:

Snowing in Tarves this morning (turned about 7am) and was sticking readily with nice big fat flakes.   :yahoo: Raining in Aberdeen at work now...

Yep, in Aberdeen myself now and it turned sleety by Kintore and though to Dyce. Pretty much heavy cold rain with just a hint of sleet in Aberdeen currently. 

Still flakes of snow fluttering around in the wind but the precipitation is pretty much past here now, once it turned to snow, it stayed as snow through-out and lay extremely quickly. Unfortunately the heavy precipitation was past us in a flash so topped out about half a cm but that gathered in half an hour, it was just very light after that. Maybe some front edge stuff for a time tomorrow? 

52 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Pishy sleet here, non event, winter is over blah blah blah! :p:D

....Or maybe not!

D36D8702-2B7B-4D99-9D45-9F1DA8747EB8.thumb.gif.d9da87b6d466ab1fd351fec1f6f4a00b.gif

2D57BEF8-29A1-4D37-B114-A071BC6E62DE.thumb.png.0d9d43b308928493be51df4d9a4e8d9a.png

Boom?

Pishing it down with cauld sleety rain here this morning. Not enough altitude. Snaw over the moor to Braco. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Huge hints of blocking centred to our north:

Screenshot_20180213-092811.thumb.jpg.df41d4f6446604839c22d9a419dcbfc0.jpg

Over in the MT I notice for the first time that John Holmes has mentioned a change in the anomaly charts with blocking now showing to the NE. Could be on to something if this repeats!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Over in the MT I notice for the first time that John Holmes has mentioned a change in the anomaly charts with blocking now showing to the NE. Could be on to something if this repeats!

Ideally the charts stay similar for a good few days then it's more of a likelihood but good signs to see :)

• Like 1