Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

7 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Suggest the following:

• put some clothes on
  • go and chop some wood
  • think about where the gas is coming from when it's all gone
  • think about what your childrens' expectations will be when they're independent...

I'm seriously envious of your igloo!

We are looking to put in a log burner, as our gas going at about £10 a day at present.

Oh, weather related thread...its snawing surprise surprise.

Lots of snow still falling in Aberdeenshire and the northern Highlands by the look of things?

Absolutely smashing it down here again total whiteout 

Would make an epic read would that..:rofl:

Was very light snow earlier but off now - however the hubby is oot with the snow shovel and we know where that goes.. Neighbours in despair over the amount of snow, not enough able-bodied younger folk to dig us out of here. And the few younger ones are lambing or stockmen and far too busy. Never seen a gritter come right in here in 30 years so don't suppose they will start now, so we'll just have to get on with it. Going to ditch the low carb diet today lol and bake. I need some sugar!!

Looks like we have at least another 5cm lying on the previously cleared paths since yesterday evening, with more inbound. Once the thaw sets in, I'm going to be taking bets on how long it takes our driveway clearance pile to completely melt. It's pretty close up behind this house and on the north side so I'm estimating weeks rather than days. 

1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

Looks like we have at least another 5cm lying on the previously cleared paths since yesterday evening, with more inbound. Once the thaw sets in, I'm going to be taking bets on how long it takes our driveway clearance pile to completely melt. It's pretty close up behind this house and on the north side so I'm estimating weeks rather than days. 

Think all bets are off on the 'how long into the summer my snow lasts' competition.

20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

@CatchMyDrift never seen this - how the snow fills the hedges. Nuts.

A lot of what fell was graupel so it got in everywhere. We haven't had that much proper snow, believe it or not. This has caused the drifts to be worse than normal here. The graupel is now compacting down and freezing up. We may have snow patches for weeks.

7 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Think all bets are off on the 'how long into the summer my snow lasts' competition.

Maybe some of us lucky ones should be trying a competition where you win if your garden is snow free first?

5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Maybe some of us lucky ones should be trying a competition where you win if your garden is snow free first?

I've just won :D

23 minutes ago, su rui ke said:

Lots of snow still falling in Aberdeenshire and the northern Highlands by the look of things?

Yes further 5-7cm fresh snow overnight and still snowing. More digging to get to the hens

DSC_0906.JPG

23 minutes ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Yes further 5-7cm fresh snow overnight and still snowing. More digging to get to the hens

DSC_0906.JPG

That looks about the same as mine, and the road outside is the same. Thank god I haven't got hens any more - too much work for me now. Found out from a neighbour that the access road into the village from the A7 is littered with abandoned cars and the gritter - even if the cooncil ever rememner us - won't get past. The husband came in for a teabreak and says the neighbours are planning a concerted attack on our wee cul de sac at 11am. They are all synchronising their watches as we speak. I canny help as I have short boots and nae wellies. And no muscles either :rofl:

Snow flurries continuing here but temps up a notch at 1.1C. 

Looks like that trend will continue for low ground over the next couple of days with a slow thaw beginning. Still have a Southerly jet so possible snow opportunities as depressions come into the cool air later on especially for those inland with a bit of altitude. Signs also of renewed heights in Scandinavia in a couple of weeks time. Winter may not be over yet.

51 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Seeing as @Hawsey was so off with his depths, maybe ha can redeem himself by trying to predict this 😂 

Been snowing here all morning, footprints refilling as we speak 😁

More Snow - copied from BBC Scotland so please check ScotRail site  to confirm -

Virgin Trains is not running any services north of Newcastle on Saturday, with their route between Carlisle and Scotland - affecting the London to Glasgow and London to Edinburgh routes - closed with no replacement buses running

4 minutes ago, mardatha said:

More Snow - copied from BBC Scotland so please check ScotRail site  to confirm -

Virgin Trains is not running any services north of Newcastle on Saturday, with their route between Carlisle and Scotland - affecting the London to Glasgow and London to Edinburgh routes - closed with no replacement buses running

I'm 100% behind minimising travel risk and avoiding unnecessary travel. But unless these main lines are actually blocked by snow, then I wonder if the caution on rail-travel today is actually merited. Nor have we had any deep low temperatures to accompany the snow. Anyway...closed is closed.... :(

Just had our heaviest shower for some time with powder flakes and the temp dropping a degree or so. Left a cm or so in about 5 to 10 minutes. Still going but lighter and Back to small flakes now.

Snaw now taking its toll on ma Snaw gear. Running repairs with gaffer tape.

85FB12CB-3339-4282-85D8-86468BC6BAEA.thumb.jpg.014abb4d3614485f69fbc85e500fd7ac.jpg

Nothing of note here, other than being in both an urban and coastal area there's a slow thaw on with some drip from window ledges and roofs. I see that Edinburgh-wide home met-stations are widely reporting between 34F-36F.  Might still be a few days away from seeing grass even here though.