Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Direction has changed, the showers are coming in with a little more of a southerly angle than yesterday so that's probably helping you.

Driveway here cleared and ready. Might have to go for a walk later even if I no longer have the excuse of the dog.

Yellow warning for East coast just extended into Monday now.

Was just about to post that the clouds are definitely coming from a more southerly direction.   Working south of Aberdeen right now and showers are far more frequent than yesterday. 

• Like 1

So enough with the snow, let’s start focusing on the thaw. Temperatures in eastern coastal areas may nudge above freezing today (and certainly tomorrow) as slightly less severe uppers and higher thickness values take hold. By Saturday or Sunday we’ll probably be talking about ‘wintry’ rather than snow showers for coastal and low-lying areas and by then there shouldn’t be any further accumulation away from high ground.

So a set of predictions for when the last of your snow will melt coming up shortly, everyone. :)

:rofl: Relax, I’m joking (although the comments about a gradual lessening of wintry conditions at the coast does apply)!

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Morning folks, long time lurker here.

Southside of Glasgow seems to have missed out on all last nights snow by about 10miles, I had 5 inches at 5pm last night and only up to 6 inches this morning. Looking at the radar just now and it seems to be the band across the north of Glasgow still getting all the snow.

Come on snow gods, shift that snow south!

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Icicles - must think about better insulation!

And then it's measurement time. @Hawesy absolutely spot on:

25cm flat lawn, drifts at the sides 40+cms

Happy shuggee :D

Great stuff! :D

2 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

It's not going to be over for a while yet - these showers will bring a fair amount of ppn

ll.png

Fife and Stirling doing really well today, south of that showers look to have lost their fizz ...snaw here but nothing like yesterday

2 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Fife and Stirling doing really well today, south of that showers look to have lost their fizz ...snaw here but nothing like yesterday

do you think the showers will get there act together later on near you?

3 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Wee change in the angle of attack required! That being said - It's a pure whiteout up here at the minute! As heavy as anything yesterday afternoon! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Michael Kaii said:

do you think the showers will get there act together later on near you?

dont know, they did yesterday ! the wind has gone more ESE though so further for showers to travel now to get well inland

8 hours ago, Ross90 said:

No more snow in Mwell since this mornings shower.Looks like we got the best of it on Tues/early Wed but are missing out today.Got a total of 4.5 inches now.

Same here, was a heavy flurry this morning but didny last long. Must admit landscape looks amazing with the sun beaming down, although still quite cloudy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Northern Strath said:

To be fair, you'd be hard pushed to find a city in the UK that's had more days snow falling/lying this winter than the sneck, it's just having a wee rest :)

Looks as though we may have a more north of east wind tomorrow so we catch up with the snowfall. Fine sunny day now but wind picking up and  what little snow we have snow constantly drifting across fields. Currently  -1.5c

• Like 3

We had shotgun thundersnow at 2am, just measured a level 18cm and drifting to 25cm, couldn't get the backdoor open due to drifting, first plantpot buried and if these showers keep going all day again the second plantpot (which is hgher) will be buried by tonight, snowing again currently 0.7C / -3.8C

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

• Like 4

Tried to take the dog out in the car, got about half a mile, turned at the first roundabout and came back. Whiteout conditions with extremely poor visibility with snow blowing off the fields over cleared roads. 

Conditions totally crackpot for 1st. March. Some of the smaller villages and isolated farms will be cut off.

Just read yellow warning for east coast extended to Monday. 

• Like 1

My garage roof has a funny wave pattern along it from the intense wind and drifting last night, pretty neat, also there is a deep drift about a foot or more round the front of the garage just out and to the left of the door.

snow-01-03-2018-1.jpg

• Like 2

I am officially stuck now as the police have closed the two roads I could use to get anywhere. On the plus side my Facebook weather page (Scottish Borders Weather) has gained 500+ likes in a week. It took me almost three years to get it to 1,000 :rofl: 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1